Forum Index » GEAR » Lighter Merino Wool fabric?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: South Florida
Lighter Merino Wool fabric? on 05/04/2011 13:49:58 MDT Print View

I have been unable to find a lighter weight Merino Wool fabric than 150 g/m^2 (4.5 oz/yd) anywhere. I am looking to get a t-shirt and a pair of boxer briefs in a lighter weight merino wool fabric than this. Does anyone know of any manufacturer that makes clothes out of a lighter merino wool fabric than 150 g/m^2? Any help would be appreciated.

I know BPL used to carry black Merino Wool t-shirts that were 115 g/m^2 but it seems they don't carry them any more. I think they even had boxer briefs available in this fabric as well. Are there plans to bring these products back any time soon?

-Sid

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Lighter Merino Wool fabric? on 05/04/2011 15:42:54 MDT Print View

There are some blends that are lighter, but they're tough to find as well. Patagonia's Merino 1 is 108 g/m and is 63/37 merino/poly and Montbell's super merino is 130 g/m and is 92/8 merino/nylon.

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Re: Lighter Merino Wool fabric? on 05/04/2011 16:41:39 MDT Print View

Thanks Brendan.

Those both seem like great options, especially the Patagonia Merino 1. 108 g/m^2 is really light. I am having trouble finding them online, however. Why is everyone discontinuing light merino fabrics??

-Sid

david woods
(woodsie) - F

Locale: Middle Tennessee
Patagonia Merino 1 Crew Closeout on 05/04/2011 16:48:27 MDT Print View

http://www.prolitegear.com/patagonia_merino_1_crew.html

small and xl available...

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
my observations on 05/04/2011 17:22:51 MDT Print View

They are discontinuing them because just about anything below 190 has to be babied. You can kind of get by with 150/165 but a stray branch has a good chance of causing a snag or rip. But it varies company to company in that I have some Stoic wool 150s that can take some abuse while the Patagonia of the same weight are thinner but can give a little.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

wooly on 05/04/2011 17:25:11 MDT Print View

And the I guess the fact that they are a total PITA to make that thin.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Lighter Merino Wool fabric? on 05/04/2011 17:38:23 MDT Print View

Yeah I think it might have to do more with the manufacturing. If I remember correctly BPL was having a hard time finding someone willing to work with the really light stuff. I've had no durability issues with the Icebreaker 150 stuff, and it's definitely seen some bushwacking and sides of sandstone slot canyons.

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

150 Merino on 05/04/2011 18:23:33 MDT Print View

I think I may have to settle for the 150 g/m^2 merino. Do you guys prefer Smartwool or Icebreaker? I've used smartwool socks and think they are great but I've never had any experience with any Icebreaker products. I'm looking to get a t-shirt and a pair of boxer briefs. Suggestions?

-Sid

Josh Newkirk
(Newkirk) - MLife

Locale: Australia
merino on 05/04/2011 18:25:23 MDT Print View

I have only tried smartwool socks but I find the icebreaker gear really good.

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

smartwool on 05/04/2011 18:52:22 MDT Print View

I've got a smartwool microweight tee that I wear quite often and like pretty well...
Doesn't seem particularly fragile or in need of babying, though also not bulletproof.

I'd definitely get another one or recommend them to others.

David McBride
(VintageGent) - F

Locale: Galveston TX
Re: 150 Merino on 05/04/2011 19:24:31 MDT Print View

"Do you guys prefer Smartwool or Icebreaker?"

I have merino items in both (as well as Ibex) and they're all about the same, which is to say, pretty darn nice. This is one example where I'd decide based on price.

Evan McCarthy
(evanrussia) - MLife

Locale: Northern Europe
Icebreaker/Smartwool on 05/04/2011 19:48:34 MDT Print View

I prefer Icebreaker based on different styles and fit, but there was some concern in a previous thread that the Smartwool was a better snug compression-style fit. I hike in 150 merino year round.

Check out this thread:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=46365&skip_to_post=402078#402078

Edited by evanrussia on 05/04/2011 19:53:10 MDT.

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Locale: Southeast
130g/m2 on 05/04/2011 19:56:09 MDT Print View

http://montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=80&p_id=2307262

130g/m2

Nathan Stuart
(forest.)

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia
150g/sm very fragile on 05/04/2011 21:33:04 MDT Print View

I've just purchased some Mountain Designs 150g/sm merino clothing. A tee shirt and a pair of long pants.

They feel good and the shirt is great.
As for the pants I purchased them like I do for all my baselayers - to be a form fitting item. I wasn't too happy when I was pulling them on after a few uses when the top side where my hand pulling them up with ripped a nice 2" hole into the material.

It sure is a light fabric and has it's uses. For me anything that will see some hard wearing use or abrasion I'll be taking my 200g/sm stuff and it's much more durable.

Warren Crow
(crowculbertson) - MLife

Locale: Alabama
Ibex Indie T on 05/04/2011 22:02:56 MDT Print View

I went thru a review period for LS Merino within the last year which included lines from Ibex,Icebreaker and Patagonia. I thought I was going to prefer the Patagonia as its wrists had no separate band material(terminology?). Then I found Patagonia wrists would not stay tight to the wrist(ruled out). Icebreaker form fit lines were too tight. I kept the Icebreaker line of looser fit(UTurn). I fell in love with the Ibex Indie's. A good middle weight fabric(195g/m2) with loose fit but not baggy.

I just ordered the Indie T's(SS) and love them and Ibex must love me as I am paying their excessive prices.

Edited by crowculbertson on 05/04/2011 22:15:03 MDT.

Josh Newkirk
(Newkirk) - MLife

Locale: Australia
ibex stuff on 05/04/2011 22:10:24 MDT Print View

Pretty good stuff but rather pricey.

Sometimes you can find weird sales on their stuff though. A few months ago I got a soft shell off their site for 50% off because it wasnt the black color (it is blue). Wasnt even clearance.

I dont think it is worth an extra $15 for ibex ss instead of icebreaker ss though.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: ibex stuff on 05/04/2011 22:14:40 MDT Print View

"I dont think it is worth an extra $15 for ibex ss instead of icebreaker ss though."

I love Ibex stuff, and am willing to pay a bit more since most of their stuff is made in the U.S.

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Ibex on 05/05/2011 01:51:26 MDT Print View

I think I'm going to go with Ibex. I decided I'd like my merino short sleeve to have a chest zipper for easier body temperature regulation. The Echo Sport Zip with half zipper from Ibex is 150 g/m^2 and is 100% merino, rather than a merino/synthetic blend. Interestingly, It comes in a color called "Sea Grass/Nickel", which looks identical to the color of my BPL Beartooth Merino hoody. Seems like a winner to me.

http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/1904/2427/mens-echo-sport-zip

I was also considering the Ace Shirt which uses the same weight fabric, but that one is a button up. Perhaps that would be even better for temperature regulation than a half zipper? Although I'm not sure if it would be needed.

http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/1919/7645/mens-ace-shirt

I'm also getting the Woolies Boxer from Ibex, which is also 150 g/m^2.

http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/1951/8990/mens-woolies-boxer

All together it looks like I'll be spending around $120 plus shipping. This will be one expensive experiment to see if I would prefer merino in warm weather instead of synthetic or cotton. I don't like how bad breathability seems to be with synthetic and I don't like how long it takes for cotton to dry. If merino is not too warm in the summer months, it may solve these issues for me.

Any input on these choices before I go for it?

Thanks,

-Sid

EDIT: Added links to Ibex choices.

Edited by Red_Fox on 05/05/2011 01:52:47 MDT.

Kenneth Cowan
(zeros) - F

Locale: California
+1 ibex on 05/05/2011 14:17:55 MDT Print View

great stuff. i've worn my indie hoody 3+ times a week for a couple months and it still looks new.

Warren Crow
(crowculbertson) - MLife

Locale: Alabama
+ Ibex on 05/05/2011 17:41:46 MDT Print View

Well I can see now why you are so sensitive to the weight of your merino wool baselayers. You live in "Central Florida"!

:)