Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
1st project
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kylie Ghim
(ksghim) - F
1st project on 05/02/2011 16:42:04 MDT Print View

Long time lurker, first time poster...
So after hours of reading up on diff insulation, fabrics, footboxes, yaddy ya, I decided I'm going to make a simple, ripstop shell/liner, 5.0 oz climashield apex quilt with a sewn footbox (just sew the ends together and sew up the quilt several inches or so). This is my first sewing project since home ec in middle school, but I'm fairly confident that I can get it done. I ordered everything I need and now I'm just playing the waiting game. Couple questions I'm hoping someone could answer however...

1. I'm a small person, 5'1" & 100 lbs, I was thinking a quilt size of 66" x 46". Too small? Or can I get away with going even smaller? I'd like the quilt to be no larger than necessary.

2. To attach the insulation to the ripstop, I was just going to sew it at the edges to either the shell or liner, and then sew the other piece of ripstop to ripstop/insulation to 3 sides, flip inside out and then sew the last side. Does that sound about right?

3. With the sewn footbox, should I taper the quilt? I'm also playing with the idea of cutting out a round or rectangle piece of insulation/ripstop and sewing it to the bottom to give my footbox some more shape. Opinions on this?

Any other tips, tricks, comments would be helpful, thanks!

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1)

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Re: 1st project on 05/02/2011 20:55:39 MDT Print View

Hey Kylie,

Unless you have just SUPER broad shoulders, 46' SHOULD be enough (this will ultimately be a personal decision, of course). I would recommend getting a piece of fabric that size and draping it over you and playing with size/comfort that way. As well, the general rule of thumb for length is to add 10" to your desired finished length-- you might could get away with a bit less. As for construction technique, sew inside-out on three sides, then flip and sew the fourth.

-Good luck!

William Cummings
(rcummings1) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: 1st project on 05/02/2011 23:56:25 MDT Print View

Kylie,
Clint's right about getting a piece of fabric and playing with it. Go to any fabric store and buy a couple of yards of the cheapest muslin they have and make a mock up of the quilt top. You can get it for less than $2 a yard.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: 1st project on 05/03/2011 04:43:14 MDT Print View

Kylie,

+1 for what Clint and Rick said.

#1.) What I do to figure the length of the quilt is measure from between my feet out to the side (R or L). From there I measure up from the floor outside of my ankles up to and over my shoulders ending up at the point where my shoulder meets my neck.

In this way I get the exact length from between my feet out and around the side of my body up to and over my shoulders ending at my neck. This would be the length of my quilt but I still need to add length for seam allowances and the loft of the insulation.

Hint: Don't stretch the tape measure. Leave room and length so that you are comfortable.

#2.) Yes! ;-)

#3.) My quilt originally had a drawstring foot box. I made an insulated round pillow style pad and retro fitted it to my quilt to create a sewn in foot box. I sized it by measuring the width of the foot end deducting 3/4 to 1" from that measurement and using that as the circumference of my pillow / pad. Remember to leave seam allowances around the edges of the pad. I also bound the seams with grosgrain inside of the quilt.

The extra 3/4 to 1" on the quilt allows it to lap over to close up with the snaps that I use to form the foot box.

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 05/03/2011 05:12:34 MDT.

Kylie Ghim
(ksghim) - F
thanks guys on 05/05/2011 14:06:14 MDT Print View

I'm making a "practice" quilt from fleece & ripstop that I'm probably going to end up using as a light summer TQ out here in LA. I'm going to go with 46", I have the body of a 10 year old boy so I should be good haha. Anyways if the quilt doesn't end up looking like a blind monkey sewed it, maybe I'll put it up :)