(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Why is it always a conspiracy? on 05/02/2011 10:29:27 MDT Print View

Donald Trump will force Obama to release pictures and DNA test results

Jake Palmer
(jakep_82) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Why is it always a conspiracy? on 05/02/2011 10:41:50 MDT Print View

At this point Trump has been completely marginalized. He's being attacked on all sides by both Democrats and Republicans. The only thing he's "campaigned" on is that Obama isn't qualified. As time goes on the media will stop paying attention to him and he'll disappear from the polls. In other words Trump won't be making Obama do anything. If they want to release pictures, they will. My guess is they won't.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Why is it always a conspiracy? on 05/02/2011 10:51:10 MDT Print View

"In other words Trump won't be making Obama do anything."

Ummmmmmmmm, I think Jerry was kidding.....

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Why is it always a conspiracy on 05/02/2011 11:05:21 MDT Print View

If it's a conspiracy then We have him alive , but faked his death and dumped a body where it cannot be examined while we release his DNA test. Now we begin to extract what information we can.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Bin laden dead on 05/02/2011 11:23:38 MDT Print View

Conspiracy buffs won’t get a debate from me. If he’s still alive then he’ll no doubt release embarrassing audio and/or video clips clearly referencing current events that happened after May 1, 2011. If he is dead, his silence will not silence conspiracy theorists.

If he is dead, is that justice? Little doubt of that. Is it for the best? Perhaps. But I have to add a big +1 to those who choose to skip the celebrations.

The evening of May 1 presented me with a striking juxtaposition. Feeling board, I re-watched a film I view every several years. When finished, I switched from DVD mode to broadcast mode to find myself right in the middle of CBS’s coverage of the Bin Laden news.

The movie is “The Scarlet and the Black” a hollywood dramatization (no doubt embellished) of the very personal and life&death struggle between a Vatican priest named Hugh O'Flaherty and Herbert Kappler, the commander of the Gestapo in Rome from the death of Mussolini until the German evacuation of Rome. Embellished or not, the well documented real story is as amazing as the film version. O'Flaherty’s underground operation successfully hid several thousand Jewish Italians and escaped allied POWs.

Kappler was arrested when the allies took control of Rome and spent the rest of his life in prison. During that time he was visited more or less monthly by O'Flaherty, who eventually baptized him into the Catholic Church in 1959.

A similar, older story can be found in Lincoln’s plan for treatment of our southern citizens at the end of U.S. Civil War. When berated for his leniency he replied “Do we not destroy our enemies, madam, when we make them our friends?”

Of course, there were those who refused to become our friends after the Civil War and there are those that will refuse now. There was and still is little viable alternative to continued use of force in those situations. But to assume that all would refuse leaves us with a problem too large for force to solve, indeed it places us at risk of creating new enemies faster than we can kill them.

There I go, getting all preachy again ...

Edited by jcolten on 05/02/2011 11:26:35 MDT.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Re: Re: DNA evidence? on 05/02/2011 11:53:13 MDT Print View

"They can "triangulate" from family members."
Sure, but that is not the same. Glad that hunt is over, personally.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Re: Re: DNA evidence? Bin Laden in Vegas!!!! on 05/02/2011 13:15:39 MDT Print View

Bin Laden spotted in Vegas!Elvis

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
Elvis was a hero to most on 05/02/2011 13:23:08 MDT Print View

But he never meant **** to me...

You gotta fight the power...

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Elvis was a hero to most. Really? on 05/02/2011 14:05:38 MDT Print View

Speaking for myself... Elvis was charismatic and talented. But qualities in and of themselves don't make heroes. Actions do. Indeed, heroism requires neither charisma nor talent. Heroes can be very ordinary people doing extraordinary things.

I listen to Elvis songs. But he was not a hero. Just charismatic and talented.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Obama kills Osama to knock off Trump's T.V. show on 05/02/2011 15:19:44 MDT Print View

The rumour kettle appears about to boil over. Fun reading.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/binladensdeathspawnsconspiracytheories;_ylt=AmpmhlidXycTnpaWniu0QESs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNjcWE3ZnFiBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNTAyL3VzX2Jpbl9sYWRlbgRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzEEcG9zAzcEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA2JpbmxhZGVuMzlzZA--

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: RE: RE: "Bin laden dead" on 05/02/2011 15:30:43 MDT Print View

I'm all for peace on Earth, but some people need to be removed from the planet. I'm not sad or guilty about being happy in the least. I'm glad he's dead and I'm particularly glad all the victims' families finally get justice. The world is a much better place without him IMHO.

CNN.com has a good account of the burial at sea. Apparently the service took about an hour after they washed his body and wrapped it in a white sheet.

Edited by socalpacker on 05/02/2011 16:53:43 MDT.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
Re: Re: Elvis was a hero to most. Really? on 05/02/2011 15:43:39 MDT Print View

Ben,

I was just playfully quoting from the NWA song "Fight the Power," featured prominently in the Spike Lee film "Do the Right Thing."

Edited by cbert on 05/02/2011 15:44:18 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Bin Laden Dead on 05/02/2011 16:58:53 MDT Print View

"what is your proposed solution to remedy this viewpoint?"

1) Force the Israelis to vacate the West Bank-all of it, share the water under it equitably, and recognize the right of the Palestinians to a capital in Jerusalem. In return they would receive all necessary security guarantees backed backed by the full military force of the US with a serious boots on the ground presence.

2) Cease our shameful support for some of the most vile dictators on the face of the planet in countries like Yemen, until recently Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, to name a few.

3) Push hard for a denuclearized Middle East, which would force Israel to give up its nukes and Iran to put its nascent nuclear program under an airtight IAEA inspection regime.

4) Work seriously for a rapprochement with Iran, based on 3, above.

5) Get the hell out of Iraq and Afghanistan. We are only making things worse by the destruction we are visiting on them and by seeking long term basing rights.

6) Lead a serious effort to bring India and Pakistan to a resolution of the long festering Kashmir situation, where it takes 500,000 Indian troops to sit on the Kashmiri Muslim population and keep them from either declaring independence or seeking union with Pakistan. As things stand we are seen to be tilting toward India which is considered further proof of our anti Islam attitude.

You asked. Here it is in a nutshell. Flame away, dudes.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Collective emotions on 05/02/2011 17:12:23 MDT Print View

"This could be a great opportunity for teachers and parents to try and explain and caution our young against group euphoria; goose bumps generated by group feeling without any understanding, can lead to some of the same horrors that we think we are against or even immune to."

+1

It would also be an opportunity for them to encourage the kid to ask why Bin Laden followed the path that led to 9/11. People rarely undertake actions of that magnitude without reason. Understanding the reason(s) can lead to preventing more of the same in future.

I found it particularly sad that in the wake of 9/11 nobody bothered to ask why 19 young, well educated men would come 6,000 miles to willingly sacrifice their lives just to kill Americans when they could have looked forward to marriage, a family, the sweetness of life. This is NOT a defense of what they did. However, I think a lot of the tragedy that ensued could have been avoided if we had bothered to understand what motivated them.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Yes on 05/02/2011 17:13:05 MDT Print View

Thanks Tom for having the guts to say what hardly anyone in this country dares to say.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Yes on 05/02/2011 17:19:37 MDT Print View

What I have seen is that a lot of the celebration was back east. Keep in mind that they were the ones that took the brunt of 9/11...though in many ways we all have been affected. Me? Personally I would rather have them not being so in your face with the flag waving. BUT, keep in mind, waving a flag is not against the law.

Personally, I am glad the POS will not be around on this planet nooo more.

Is this going to make the situation better? Nope. But what would be better, capturing him or putting your gun to his head....easy answer for me.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Yes on 05/02/2011 17:22:03 MDT Print View

+2 Tom

and figure out how to eliminate import of oil - solar, windmills, natural gas, whatever... - this would also help our balance of trade, produce more jobs, reduce polution

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: RE: RE: RE: "Bin laden dead" on 05/02/2011 17:28:02 MDT Print View

"Apparently the service took about an hour after they washed his body and wrapped it in a white sheet."

Hey Kendall,

Thanks for posting info that supercedes what I had available when I posted a few minutes ago. That kind of respect, if true, will go a ways toward defusing the outrage millions of Muslims would feel if he were dumped in the ocean straightaway.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Bin Laden Dead on 05/02/2011 17:33:03 MDT Print View

> 1) Force the Israelis to vacate the West Bank

It's the mindset which uses the word 'force' (between two nations) which worries me.

cheers

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Bin laden dead on 05/02/2011 17:38:12 MDT Print View

Who cares if we killed another person.
We have killed a million people, spent a trillion dollars, and what have we really achieved ? The terrorist have won.

We allow the government to molest our bodies because the terrorist have won.
We show papers to travel in this country because the terrorist have won.
We hold people without trial because the terrorist have won.
We allow our communications to be illegally monitored because the terrorist have won.
We accept handing over half our paychecks to the military because the terrorist have won.

Until we restore our civil rights, the terrorist have won.

Okay, back to the Two Minutes Hate.

Edited by redmonk on 05/02/2011 17:39:48 MDT.