Shop vac-down method: Does any vacuum work?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Blake Lytle
(cirrusbl) - F

Locale: Upper Peninsula
Shop vac-down method: Does any vacuum work? on 05/01/2011 20:24:19 MDT Print View

I might be overthinking this, but my question: is a shop-vac really necessary to transfer down, or will any vacuum with a suitable hose and extension wand work? I don't have a shop vac and am planning to fill my quilt tomorrow, so I just want to be sure.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Shop vac-down method: Does any vacuum work? on 05/01/2011 20:25:54 MDT Print View

With the shop vac you can blow too by moving the hose from the intake to exhaust port.

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Shop vac-down method: Does any vacuum work? on 05/01/2011 20:33:42 MDT Print View

it takes some pretty healthy suction to move any measurable amount of down...any vac will work but the weaker the suction, the longer it will take. Using a craftsman 5hp shop vac, it still took what seemed like forever to fill a summer weight quilt. Down loss was very small, but it was hardly an expedient process, I can't imagine doing it with a weaker vacuum.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Shop vac-down method: Does any vacuum work? on 05/01/2011 20:57:37 MDT Print View

You don't need vacuum.

Just compress down into your fist, then grab down between thumb and finger, then put into the baffle, then take a wooden spoon handle or chopstick and push down deeper into the baffle.

Blake Lytle
(cirrusbl) - F

Locale: Upper Peninsula
My vac might not work on 05/01/2011 21:39:12 MDT Print View

Thanks for the insight. My crappy Bissell vac might not be powerful enough, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Looks like I might have to resort to hand-stuffing it.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Shop vac-down method: Does any vacuum work? on 05/01/2011 22:35:31 MDT Print View

I just stuck a paper towel tube down in the down, and stuffed some in with my fingers. Weighed, it, and added or took away. Stick the end in a baffle and blow.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Shop vac-down method: Does any vacuum work? on 05/01/2011 23:52:11 MDT Print View

Blow with your mouth?