Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
~8oz. 'Polycro' Tarptent w/ floor and bugnetting, $45, 2hrs.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
~8oz. 'Polycro' Tarptent w/ floor and bugnetting, $45, 2hrs. on 05/01/2011 10:44:36 MDT Print View

Wicked cool MYOG SUL shelter using polycro.

Matt Kirk aka "Fool on the Hill" has been making unbelievably gossamer gear for his ultramarathon distance fastpacking trips in the Appalachians.

Here are links to his blog and video for the fully featured ~8oz Polycro shelter:

Fool on the Hill- ~8oz. Polycro tarptent

How to build a \'polycryo\' tube tent

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
re: polycryo tent w/floor and netting... on 05/01/2011 10:53:47 MDT Print View

Good posting. This is an interesting project.
His thread is here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=46983&skip_to_post=400685#400685

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
Nice on 05/01/2011 11:22:06 MDT Print View

working methods, anyone tried a tube tent recently? Would need bathtub/ slope out ends er else water would run in.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: ~8oz. 'Polycro' Tarptent w/ floor and bugnetting, $45, 2hrs. on 05/01/2011 12:24:04 MDT Print View

so what happens when it rains and you have the storm doors closed? The condensation and general air quality would be horrendous!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it actually rained, being in this would be similar to climbing into a trash bag and velcroing it shut. you might not die of asphyxiation due to the air let in by the velcro, but I would think it would feel like it. You would also be sweating like a pig.

Am I missing something? It just seems like it would be a miserable space to escape the rain, as well as being terribly fragile?

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
~8oz. 'Polycro' Tarptent w/ floor and bugnetting, $45, 2hrs. on 05/01/2011 13:15:54 MDT Print View

Beaks from polycro would allow you to leave at least some of the mesh uncovered for ventilation.

Without them, though, you're right.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
I'm impressed on 05/01/2011 16:53:13 MDT Print View

I'm impressed with the construction cleverness and appreciate the sharing via video. Very informative.

Jeremy Platt
(jeremy089786) - F

Locale: Sydney
~8oz. 'Polycro' Tarptent w/ floor and bugnetting, $45, 2hrs. on 05/02/2011 02:36:41 MDT Print View

Nice find, that is loads of fun. I will maybe wait a couple more models until I make one, but good ideas, especially with the cuben/ netting.