Locale: Montana
thermal sheet on 05/01/2011 11:34:30 MDT Print View

MB makes the thermal "sheet" 13.8 oz

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=795&p_id=2321806

James Neal
(Laien) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Light weight down quilts on 05/01/2011 11:46:49 MDT Print View

I have a Golite 1 season quilt that weighs 17oz. It's rated to 40*, but I think it could easily go lower.

Adam at Hammock Gear makes a top quilt called the Summer Burrow that has a cinch at the bottom that can be loosened and used as a blanket. It weighs 14.5oz He makes a mean quilt. I highly recommend his stuff. On top of that, he is one of the nicest guys you'll ever talk to. That's right. He gives his cell number on his website. Check him out.

http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_8&products_id=1

Edited by Laien on 05/01/2011 11:48:44 MDT.

R S
(rps76) - F
MB Thermal Sheet on 05/01/2011 11:48:03 MDT Print View

Damn! $190? That's a lot of money for what it is.

I was referring to the Themal Sheet. The quilt seems fully worth it though.

Edited by rps76 on 05/01/2011 12:08:21 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

deal on 05/01/2011 12:05:21 MDT Print View

I'd say that's actually a pretty good deal for a quilt w/ 7 oz of 900 fill

the MB thermal sheet (same price) has 4.5 oz of 800 fill

Derek Kind
(berethorn)
MYOG on 05/01/2011 12:05:27 MDT Print View

For a quilt, I like Mike Moore's idea, using 2.5oz Climashield Apex from Thru-hiker (easier to sew). That's $30 for the insulation. If only some cheaper fabric, ripstop nylon or the like, could be found - because it would cost another $50 for that fabric from Thru-hiker, totaling $80 + the investment of time for a quilt weighing under a pound. Still viable if you like to do it yourself.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

1.1 oz on 05/01/2011 12:15:33 MDT Print View

I've found 1.1 nylon for $3-5 yard on line (usually seconds, but just a minor cosmetic), if a guy combs a few Walmarts evidently they carry some 1.1 ripstop that sells for a $1.50 a yard! $5 puts the fabric at just $30

John Frederick Anderson
(fredfoto) - F

Locale: Spain
Ultra-ultralight sleep system for summer heat on 05/01/2011 12:42:34 MDT Print View

In mid summer in Spain, where I hike, I used to use a heavy fleece, a thermarest full length pad, a goretex bivy and slept with my legs in my backpack, a Summit Gear daypack. i was comfortable and warm, although the Tramontana was blowing, I was in a cave and out of the wind. I have since updated this set up with UL gear, and have a Hagaloffs LIM inslulating jacket (8.8 oz or 250 g) and a MLD Climashield 3/4 length quilt (9.9 oz or 281 g) with a thermarest 3/4 prolite (10.6 oz or 300 g) and a MLD Superlight Bivy (6.7 oz or 191 g). I'll take a poncho tarp or a 10 x 8 tarp depending on the trip and forecast.
I hope this helps with ideas.
Cheers,
Fred

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
hot on 05/02/2011 16:43:06 MDT Print View

60 degrees isnt hot, 75 is hot, 60 is downright cool in some parts of the country.

Below 75 or so I take a 30 degree bag, its all that I find I need. In warm weather I sleep on just the pad in tent well ventillated, use the unzipped bag as quilt, pull a little bag over my midsection leaving feet and upper body exposed when I first go to sleep. Usually I will wake up much cooler several hrs later and cover with a bit more bag. Can shift the down to one side, top half for instance, and basically have option just cover with the bottom half without much down if want too. very flexible bag with continuous baffles.

Others use a bag liner , simple sheet. When it gets really hot and humid and sticky, use nothing at all, but still bring the bag cause you never know, and it makes a good pillow.

Joe Bancks
(JackPike)

Locale: Midwest
S2S Thermolite Reactor on 05/02/2011 23:29:02 MDT Print View

I got one from Cabela's, thinking it'd be a good mid-west-southern solution to summer overheating.

I slept in it one night, on my couch, in my climate-controlled home (70F), and was COLD. Its claims of bumping up sleeping bag warmth seemed especially silly after this.

The material was sketchy - reminded me of cheap black dress socks.

I took it back. I still don't have a good summer weight blanket/quilt/bag/solution.

Karen Kennedy
(karenk) - MLife

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics
Summer sleeping on 05/03/2011 02:46:45 MDT Print View

Silk sheet - always = 118g

UL nirvana - custom Nunatak Arc Edge for my 5'1" = 254g = sensational! Skimpy dimensions but perfect for our (subtropical) summers and shoulder seasons, and four season tropical use. Very flexible - drape as required, pull up to cover more in the wee small hours as temp drops. Easy to vent, incredible warmth to weight ratio for those with deep(ish) pockets.

Warmer option - WM Highlite (short) = 439g

Thermolite Reactor would not be warm enough for me unless it was really hot, but may suit some. One friend is happy with this.

Another friend uses a length of micro fleece as a blanket - but down is far lighter and more compact, but of course more expensive.

Cheers,

KK

xun wang
(xtraveler) - F
updates? on 05/30/2013 13:37:42 MDT Print View

I'm just starting out into backpacking and came across this thread, anyone has more experience since 2011 to give more insights into the gears used for the weather?

So far I've decided and ordered the REI half-dome 2, Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xlite Small(still debating if I should switch to the woman model, I'm 5"5, 138 lbs) & Exped Air Pillow.

I need to decide on a cover, so far I've looked into Thermarest Tech Blank, Sea to Summit Thermolite Extreme liner, and couple of warm weather sleeping bags. I'm expecting the temp to be below 60 in the summer at night(east coast), and I generally like to sleep in cool temp.

Any suggestions? thanks!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Ultra-ultralight sleep system for summer heat on 05/30/2013 15:04:34 MDT Print View

Lows in the 70's or up I just use a silk sleeping bag liner (dark color). When it gets down to around 65F, I start to get cold.

Corbin Camp
(heycorb) - F

Locale: Southeast
s2s on 05/30/2013 15:13:44 MDT Print View

The S2S liners work good for warm nights. I used one in a hammock with just a foam pad and was fine.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
MontBell UL Down Hugger Thermal Sheet on 05/30/2013 19:10:16 MDT Print View

I use the MB Thermal Sheet, and it is perfect for the summer application.
Tested good down to 50*F, and it has a full zip for use as a quilt if you want.
Mine weighs in at 13.8 ounces.
I use it with a 6.1 ounce Klymit X-Lite pad, a 2 ounce groundsheet, an 11 ounce SMD Gatewood Cape, and a 2 ounce GG RikSak pack.
That's just over a 2 pound base weight, and it works.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
+1 S2S on 05/30/2013 20:28:33 MDT Print View

I also use a Sea 2 Summit reactor bag on top of my NeoAir. I just like having something sheet-like on me when I sleep. My kids use one of the fleece bags you can get at Dick's for like $10 when I take them in the summer.

xun wang
(xtraveler) - F
s2s on 05/31/2013 11:37:07 MDT Print View

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably just get the S2S Thermolite Reactor Extreme then. This was also my initial choice because it can be used in conjunction with a sleeping bag to add warmth, but I've seen several reviews saying the temp rating on it is much overrated. I guess I'll check it out myself.

John Gilbert
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Travel bags on 05/31/2013 14:40:54 MDT Print View

The 50-55 degree travel / hostel sleeping bags turn out to be the ideal solution for many of the local guides here in the Maryland / Virginia area. Ie 70 degree humid nights following 100 degree humid days.

Even the cheap synthetic ones pack down small and only weigh about a pound.

My 40 degree bag is a little warm, even when used as a quilt until about 1 am when it cools down sufficiently.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Silk bag liner on 05/31/2013 16:13:02 MDT Print View

This! Beat me to it. LOL

If it is real heat in the desert also remember you might want to be protected from the heat of the ground, so you may still want a pad.

Edited by millonas on 05/31/2013 16:15:48 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Ultra-ultralight sleep system for summer heat on 05/31/2013 16:34:21 MDT Print View

The Thermarest Tech Blanket is a great hot weather option. It makes a good sleeping bag extender and camp cape/serape style insulation too. I use mine as a lap robe around the house in the winter.

The smaller one is the one to get. It has snaps to form a foot box and you can get stick-on snaps to mate it with your sleeping pad. If you are going to get the blanket and want the snaps, order them at the same time. They aren't available in any retail stores and the shipping will nearly double the price.

I know nothing of this vendor, but it looks like they have them on sale for $30; others are about $49:
http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/pid/4/sid/79/tid/349/prodid/28086

For really hot weather, add a light hammock with an insect screen. You'll need a pad or underquilt if it cools off at night. With the hammock and a light quilt or even a fleece blanket, you'll be cool and well rested.

xun wang
(xtraveler) - F
ordered the blanket on 06/01/2013 13:21:12 MDT Print View

great thanks! yea that's a good deal, ordered it.