Forum Index » Chaff » No shuttle launch today

Display Avatars Sort By:
chris kersten
(xanadu) - F

Locale: here
No shuttle launch today on 04/29/2011 10:29:11 MDT Print View

I was looking forward to watching it because of the events in Arizona. But it was a no-go. It's funny how we were excited about the first few launches and now the last few. Everything in between was just a daily event. I guess if this is the worst thing that happens this weekend, I'm doing pretty good.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: No shuttle launch today on 04/29/2011 10:56:56 MDT Print View

imo the launches of the mecury, gemini, and apollo missions during the sixties' space race to the Moon was so much better than the shuttles have been. For baby boomer kids it was sci-fi turning into reality. Eyes glued to the b&w TV set, possibly drinking Tang, and maybe reading Mad mag.

Ryan Ermlich
(RyanErmlich) - F

Locale: Southeast
shuttle launch on 04/30/2011 23:43:39 MDT Print View

It's one thing to watch the Shuttle launch on the news or NASA T.V. and a completely different thing to watch her clear the tower in person. I've been fortunate enough to be able to view the Shuttle launches for the past 20 years from the press site next to the VAB. This last launch of Endeavour carries a lot of value for my family because my dad spent most of his NASA career working on Space Shuttle Endeavour. My grandfather, a Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo era engineer also made his way from Houston to be with us for this last launch. Hopefully they sort everything out for a 2:34:00 EST launch on Monday.

I wish I was alive back in the 60's to be able to view a Saturn V launch. To be there and see those mighty Rocketdyne F-1 engines come to life and produce seven and a half million pounds-force at lift off would be amazing.