Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Leukotape P storage in kit
Display Avatars Sort By:
Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Leukotape P storage in kit on 04/28/2011 22:30:12 MDT Print View

Ok, got myself a roll of leukotape a la Mike "C" 's book. But the smallest batch is 15yards so... how do you store your tape, is it OK to take it off the big roll and wrap it around something else? How do you folks do it? I have the mini roll of the medical tape, but this I need to put somehow into the pack without this huge roll. Being that its medical stuff, does it compromise it somehow to transfer it, or stick it to something else (losing its stickiness) or am I way off base? Please let me know. I'm finally feeling pretty dialed into the UL world..........

Thanks...

Ed

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Leukotape P storage in kit on 04/28/2011 22:39:47 MDT Print View

I had a small cardboard tube from some packaging and wrapped some around it. My vial of tincture of benzoine fits inside the tube. Have had no issues with using the tape from this setup.

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Locale: Texas
Re: Leukotape P storage in kit on 04/28/2011 22:45:10 MDT Print View

I rolled about two feet of it around a segment of drinking straw. It's as sticky as off the big roll. This tiny roll fits well in my first aid kit (5x4in Aloksak).

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Brilliant on 04/29/2011 08:18:01 MDT Print View

Thanks guys, obliged as usual.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Leukotape P storage in kit on 04/29/2011 08:30:03 MDT Print View

We contemplated and contemplated and contemplated this a couple summers ago because we found the the Leukotape loses it's stickiness once you remove it from the roll and then roll it back on itself. Our solution was to store it by applying it to the material used for backing on decals (the smooth, shiny paper).

For my personal weekend kit I have two 10cm strips applied to a sheet of the decal backing as well as a couple pieces I've pre-cut into circles. If myself or a hiking partner forms a blister I just pull the piece off the backing, apply to the hotspot (adding benzoine dependent on the situation) and we're back to hiking.

JOHN ZENNER
(johnz)

Locale: East Bay
Roll it on whatever you already carry on 04/29/2011 11:37:13 MDT Print View

We stored it wrapped around a spare lighter we carry anyways. If it loses it's stickiness in removing from the original roll, it's the difference between tearing your skin off or just sticking cuase that stuff really sticks! My daughter got blisters on day one of a 7 day trip and I only had to reapply 2 times during the week, it just held even with daily swims and the usual activity of a 6 year old. Great stuff.

Thomas Oresic
(Arcocean) - F

Locale: Arizona
Leukotape P storage in kit on 05/07/2011 15:57:16 MDT Print View

I took Sam's advice from an old post and use the release paper from empty postal stamp backings. I lay them out in 4 " strips and then cut them into assorted manageable squares. Works really nice. When it's hot, I've found it next to impossible to unravel the tape when it's rolled onto to itself.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Leukotape P storage in kit on 05/07/2011 16:00:51 MDT Print View

+1 on the method Sam describes. I use empty mailing label backing paper. It's light, clean, and not bulky...