Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter Sustr
(czechxpress) - F - M

Locale: Boulder
Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs! on 04/28/2011 16:47:38 MDT Print View

I tried these eggs the other day and they are the best dehydrated eggs I have ever tasted!! Great addition to any trip!

http://www.nutriom.com/

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
eggs on 04/28/2011 17:36:47 MDT Print View

Well, those look interesting. I may need to give them a try. The last brand of powdered egg I tried (recommended on another backpacking site) did not go over well.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs! on 04/28/2011 18:07:00 MDT Print View

Those certainly look worth a try. Mmmn eggs.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs! on 04/28/2011 18:57:42 MDT Print View

Many of you prefer those dehydrated whole eggs. Some of us need to avoid cholesterol, so dehydrated egg whites are good. At a minimum, they work for trail recipes that call for eggs. I use Deb El Just Whites, in a 3-oz container.

Whatever you do, if you mix water with the dehydrated powder, add in some oil to restore the oily egg texture. I use olive oil, but you could try corn oil, peanut oil, or any other.

On one group backpack trip, I got up early and whipped up some dehydrated eggs for breakfast. Then, to add some illusion, I set out an empty dozen-size egg carton by the kitchen. After breakfast, everybody thanked me that it was a good idea for me to have brought along fresh eggs, or so they thought.

--B.G.--

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs! on 04/28/2011 19:11:35 MDT Print View

Can those of us used to the MH and Freezer Bag Cooking style of eating, rehydrate these eggs in the same manner as we do with our MH and Freezer Bag style meals?

The website seems to recommend mixing and then cooking. I'd be interested if you can boil the water and then add it to the powdered egg mix and stir, close up the bag and let it "cook" / rehydrate.

Does anyone know if this alternate method would work?

Party On,

Newton

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs! on 04/28/2011 20:32:13 MDT Print View

> I'd be interested if you can boil the water and then add it to the powdered egg mix and stir, close up the bag and let it "cook"

It doesn't look like it. It seems to require cooking. "Once OvaEasy is reconstituted with water, it behaves exactly like any liquid whole egg"

Of course, if you don't mind an egg shake...

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs! on 04/28/2011 20:49:20 MDT Print View

I read about these! They taste so good because they actually dehydrate the chicken before it lays the egg! The egg is already dehydrated when the chicken lays it. Science, how cool.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs! on 04/28/2011 23:36:32 MDT Print View

Yep, I have been recommending OvaEasy since I first got them through PackitGourmet a couple years back. They taste, look and smell like fresh. They are worth the cost!

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
new ultra, ultra light solution to trail eggs on 04/29/2011 17:33:58 MDT Print View

a five toed silkie

John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs! on 04/29/2011 17:56:31 MDT Print View

LOL DOUG!!!!!!

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
ova-easy on 04/30/2011 07:47:34 MDT Print View

Ova Easy is our preferred brand, that and the scrambled egg mix from Walton Feed. I've also had luck with Adventure Egg.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Adventure eggs on 04/30/2011 08:34:54 MDT Print View

+1 on adventure eggs. http://www.adventureegg.com/
YUM

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Adventure eggs on 04/30/2011 09:54:06 MDT Print View

AE is quite good although I have to say that Ova holds my #1 spot. For me it is the smell that won me over.

Wesley Witt
(weswitt) - M

Locale: Northwest
Re: Re: Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs! on 05/04/2011 09:33:17 MDT Print View

Sarah, where do you buy these in the Puget Sound area? Freddys?

Karple T
(ctracyverizon)

Locale: Mid-Alantic
Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs on 05/04/2011 14:17:41 MDT Print View

I would love to try the OvaEasy eggs but the shipping for a bag is more than the eggs.

Anyone have a single eggs worth they could part with?

I called the company and they don't send samples and have a good explanation.

I will paypal shipping cost if anyone would send a sample.

My wife will kill me if I spend money experimenting with "another" expensive camping food item
that we don't use.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: Re: Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs! on 05/04/2011 14:22:37 MDT Print View

Wesley, I wish! For now I get Ova online via Packitgourmet but!! new to the scene is Hungry Hikers based out of Portland, Or.
http://www.hungryhikers.com/products/ova-easy-egg-whites
http://www.hungryhikers.com/products/ovaeasy-eggs

Apparently if you live in a certain zone they will even bike over your order ;-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs on 05/04/2011 14:33:12 MDT Print View

Craig, I am out of Ova but I have an extra bag of Adventure Eggs if you would like them? Let me know..... sarah @ trailcooking dot com

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
making your own on 05/05/2011 08:49:57 MDT Print View

Has anyone tried to dehydrate uncooked eggs for mixes etc? I am going to try this weekend in my new nesco.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34714&highlight=eggs

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: making your own on 05/05/2011 09:23:00 MDT Print View

Brent, be very very careful if you choose to do it. Salmonella is a real risk.

If you want eggs for mixes, not for cooking outright check out the 1 lb bags that Frontier Foods carries online.

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
dehydrating eggs on 05/05/2011 09:39:11 MDT Print View

My new Nesco Pro has a temp setting and I plan to set it at 160deg for a period of time to kill anything nasty.