November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Oware CatPoncho
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Carlsen
(cooleric1234) - F
Oware CatPoncho on 11/10/2006 22:08:58 MST Print View

Does anyone know anything about the Oware CatPoncho? I was thinking of getting the GoLite poncho/tarp but I noticed the warning on this site regarding pitching poncho tarps in the A-frame configuration. A lean-to seems less useful because of the exposure to the elements and/or need to shift the pitch as the weather changes. I would think the CatPoncho would solve that problem, but the details on it are sparse.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Oware CatPoncho on 11/11/2006 03:41:44 MST Print View

I must have missed the warning....what was said?

Keith Franchois
(Naqab) - F
re: Oware Catponcho on 11/11/2006 05:50:28 MST Print View

I too was wondering about the CatPoncho too- does it have a waist bungee? snaps at the sides?

Eric Carlsen
(cooleric1234) - F
Re: Re: Oware CatPoncho on 11/11/2006 06:19:26 MST Print View

If you look at the page for either of the SpinPonchos (found here) there is a link to a PDF that is called:

Click here to download the SpinPoncho User Guide (Adobe PDF)

Once you click on the PDF you will find that it says not to pitch the SpinPoncho in an A-frame configuration. It says the plane of the hood needs to be...well...a plane, in other words, flat. It recommends a lean-to type pitch. That seems less useful to me. Perhaps it's just because the material is spinnaker, but the Golite pictures of their poncho also show a lean-to.

Edited by cooleric1234 on 11/11/2006 06:20:14 MST.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Cat Poncho and lean to on 11/11/2006 07:53:46 MST Print View

There is a photo in the inclement camping with a poncho article at BPL found here (scroll down) This demonstrates a modified lean to approach with a BPL spinnaker poncho.

Hope this helps

Edited by rogerb on 11/11/2006 07:54:46 MST.