3 gm, 9" Titanium bike spokes: What to use for?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
3 gm, 9" Titanium bike spokes: What to use for? on 11/10/2006 21:52:02 MST Print View

I just acquired numerous slightly "non-straight" titanium bicycle spokes, they're pretty stiff, weigh 3 grams each and are 9 " long, 1/16" diameter, with a 90 degree bend 1/4" from the end. Holding them at one end, they can tangentially support 250 grams on the other end.
There has to be some good use for these in ultralight backpacking / camping.
The question becomes, what could these be used for?

Thanks,
Mike

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: 3 gm, 9" Titanium bike spokes: What to use for? on 11/11/2006 03:36:02 MST Print View

They have been used to make pot supports for cooking kits.

J W
(jhaura) - F

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Re: Ti spokes on 11/11/2006 09:27:52 MST Print View

Semi U-shaped tarp stakes if used in ideal ground conditions.

gay culbertson
(gculbertson) - F
use of bike spokes on 05/07/2007 14:24:03 MDT Print View

Use them, or sell them, to make a grill like at this site. The bend ends will prevent the rods from falling out during assembly.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/4446/index.html

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
3 gm, 9" Titanium bike spokes: What to use for? on 05/07/2007 15:08:08 MDT Print View

Mike,

Would you like to part with one of them? I've been trying to get my hands on a single spoke for some time.

- sam_h

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: 3 gm, 9" Titanium bike spokes: What to use for? on 05/07/2007 15:16:57 MDT Print View

REI might have single titanium spokes. I picked up a single standard spoke from REI recently for a bail for my cook pot.

Greyson Howard
(Greyhound)

Locale: Sierra Nevada
Re: 3 gm, 9" Titanium bike spokes: What to use for? on 05/07/2007 19:00:24 MDT Print View

What about light shelter support either shapped in the hood of a bivy, or on the foot-end of a tarp set up like the HS Contrail?
Spokes would seem ideal for adding structure to a shelter in a number of configurations.

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
Re: 3 gm, 9" Titanium bike spokes: What to use for? on 05/07/2007 21:25:04 MDT Print View

Sam_H,
thanks for the vote of confidence (that I might be able to find one.....;)
Let me take a look and I'll let you know.

MikeB

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: 3 gm, 9" Titanium bike spokes: What to use for? on 05/08/2007 04:14:31 MDT Print View

> titanium bicycle spokes, they're pretty stiff, weigh 3 grams each
Micro Ti stakes for holding up an Ti foil windscreen. Works great. See article:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/taming_those_large_flexible_foil_windshields.html