Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
TX + NM middle of May - early June
Display Avatars Sort By:
Loudon Campbell
(lcampbell89) - F
TX + NM middle of May - early June on 04/28/2011 04:35:13 MDT Print View

Hey folks I was hoping I could get some help/advice on this.

I am hoping to be going to the Guadalupe Mountains for about 5-7 days then maybe Palo Duro for a weekend or so, maybe even just an overnighter. So everything really ranges here.

I think 75% of the time it will be my friend and I and possibly my dog (lab). So I was thinking a 2+ size tent would be best. I really want to aim at about 100 to max 150 on this. I was considering the MH Lightpath 3 I know its not UL but just shy of 6 lbs doesnt seem horrible for a 3 person tent, and if I wanted it lighter I could leave out certain parts of it. Or the Kelty Salida 2 which is just under 4 lbs. If I found a cheap solo TT id consider getting a 2/3 and the solo.

Then pack, I honestly have no idea besides editor picks from backpacker magazine like the Flash 65, Passage 65, or maybe GG Blaze AC 60 or something. Looking to spend maybe 100 here. Would also consider doing a big pack and a smaller pack for longer trips vs smaller trips.

For the pad I was thinking Thermarest prolite or maybe the cheaper Thermarest.

Then theres the sleeping bag issue. Im not very knowledgeable at all here either. But I was thinking since it was going to be a little hot maybe a quilt is a good idea? Also another area where preferably under 100 spent would be nice.

Then hiking boots Im not sure either. Haha a lot of unsure things here. But I figure if I can start off with these few big things I can figure out the rest after.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
TX + NM middle of May - early June on 04/28/2011 09:48:48 MDT Print View

Guadelupes in May/June? Are you talking about trying to stay out for 5-7 days, with a dog? Better get a Gregory Palisades, or Osprey Argon, or something that carries a ton, because at a gallon of water per day, plus whatever you carry for a dog, you'll be loaded. So where in NM are you talking about?

Pad - I'd look at an inflatable, like the POE Ether Thermo.

Sleeping bag - barring the odd cold front, for Texas I'd plan on 50-60s at night. Don't know where you're going in NM, so I can't say.

Boots - bag the boots. I use GoLite trail runners in the Guadelupe/Davis/Sangre de Cristo mountains all the time.

A little hot? I'd plan on a minimum of the upper 80s during May. Maybe worse. And unless something changes, winds in the 30s, and higher. You might get lucky and catch a few calm days, but that has been the exception lately.

Edited by skinewmexico on 04/28/2011 09:54:45 MDT.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
TX + NM middle of May - early June on 04/28/2011 21:36:05 MDT Print View

It's pretty hot right now, and most places you will need to dry camp early summer (i.e. bring all your water). Hauling water would be your chief concern. Exception is the Gila where you can trace a river. If you are camping low, you could probably get away with a very light quilt at night. Up higher, a 32*F sleeping bag or quilt as the desert doesn't retain the heat of the day (i.e. burn during the day, with the potential of freezing at night). Light colored UV-resistant clothing is a must and I prefer light-colored footwear with lots of mesh (had fabric/leather boot clad feet "baking" while stopped reading a map on a Gila mesa one Memorial Day - never again)

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Also .. for high sun TX + NM middle of May - early June on 04/29/2011 08:10:29 MDT Print View

Ooops, forgot. Also a floppy hat is highly recommended for sun protection.

In the high sun, I use an old Aussie style hat (light colored "Barmah") with a mesh lower crown.

Loudon Campbell
(lcampbell89) - F
RE TX + NM Gear List on 04/30/2011 07:43:00 MDT Print View

Well as far as the dog, I may be passing on taking him for the Guadalupe trip as I wouldn't be able to bring him on the back trails and honestly probably wouldn't want to in case he got hurt or got away somehow. But hopefully in the future I will be able to bring him on a trip, probably a smaller one. But space wise I would prefer a tent that can handle 2 people and a dog.

And hopefully this trip will be a the Guadalupe National Park so borders of Texas NM right above El Paso. Maybe at some point Lincoln National Park?

What suggestions would yall make for a quilt?

Haha and ya a little hot I guess is my way of describing the 80s, Texas born and raised so I guess I am also a little bit used to it.

And I like the idea of trail runners I will definitely look into that.

Would love to hear some more recommendations.