Questions for torso length sleeping pad users
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Palumbo
(palumbo) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Questions for torso length sleeping pad users on 04/27/2011 21:20:45 MDT Print View

If you use a torso pad do you use your pack for your lower half? If so, do you use a pack cover? If not, what do you do with your wet pack at bed time when it's raining/snowing?

Eric Palumbo
(palumbo) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Questions for torso length sleeping pad users on 04/28/2011 12:55:24 MDT Print View

Anyone?

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Questions for torso length sleeping pad users on 04/28/2011 13:44:21 MDT Print View

When I have my bivy sack with me the torso pad goes inside it and my pack goes outside it. An option if you're not carrying a bivy would be to put your pack liner in between your legs and the wet pack.

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
Two pads on 04/30/2011 02:41:10 MDT Print View

My current arrangement involves two pads: the sleeping pad is a MultiMat Adventure Compact XS, cut down to a hair above torso size; the second pad is a sit-mat, a thin piece of foam given away free with a hiking magazine many years ago.

For breaks, and also to kneel on when getting under a low tarp in muddy conditions, I like having the sit-mat handy in a side rucksack pocket, so I almost always carry it anyway. At night it goes under my feet; the gap between it and the torso mat is just taken care of with the quilt and bivy bag, since that part of my legs tends not to touch the ground when lying down. I might put my (frameless) pack under there if it's a bit nippy, but in wet conditions the pack stays away from my sleeping gear, since I never use pack covers.

Weight for this set-up is 62g for the MultiMat and 12g for the sit-mat, a total of 74g (2.6oz) which I think is quite good given the versatility of the two pieces.

Edited by bigjackbrass on 04/30/2011 02:43:02 MDT.