Forum Index » GEAR » new PHD Designs quilt

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andy Dixon
(sideshowandy) - F
new PHD Designs quilt on 04/27/2011 05:23:23 MDT Print View

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/new_products_2011.php

if you are not familiar with PHD's 900 quality down - it is quite astounding! they are very conservative in their measurement, they hint it is actually close to 950. That would take it confortably over 1000 by US gauge...!

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
pricey on 04/27/2011 18:56:28 MDT Print View

Hmmm, not doubting the quality of PhD (as I've marveled at many of his garments) but this appears to be a super overpriced down comforter made in UL fabrics. Perfectly rectangular and sewn through...You could probably pop this out in half a day if you were evenly remotely familiar with sewing. Why use such high quality down when you're using sewn through baffles? I just can't imagine the temp range being that good due to its sewn through construction...why not just use 800 down, actual baffles, and an actual sewn in footbox for a lighter/ cheaper/ and possibly warmer quilt. just my 2 cents (and lots of speculation, so feel free to educate me otherwise)

Edited by Konrad1013 on 04/27/2011 18:57:21 MDT.

simon hackett
(minimalgear) - F

Locale: UK
hmmm on 04/28/2011 05:43:43 MDT Print View

I've got the minim ultra bag and loved it, but this quilt- which I've been anticipating for a while- is pretty disappointing. I've got an enlightened quilt-snapper at neck, zipped and drawstringed footbox, opens out almost rectangular, 1 inch baffles-311g. Looks a little like they haven't done their research. Not sure what niche they're trying to fill- Ultralight medical quilts?!!

Dan Bigley
(YoungWalker) - F
UL Quilt on 04/28/2011 07:46:05 MDT Print View

I have seen much nicer quilts for less. They are very light, but for another ounce I think just about anyone would rather have a HG Summer Burrow or something similar. Just my .02

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
325 smackaroos on 04/28/2011 09:33:47 MDT Print View

for a simple blanket? .... stitched through

some company is pretty confident that people will spend $$$ for the name ...

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
HG Summer Burrow on 04/28/2011 10:03:02 MDT Print View

I had not seen the HG Summer Burrow. Wow, a fully baffled summer quilt for $200. Very nice if the 48" width will work for you.