Display Avatars Sort By:
Pete Forest
(againpeter) - F

Locale: France Europe
Re: Re: hybrid tunnel tent on 11/09/2011 01:54:30 MST Print View

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for replying.

Looks good, that tent in the Pyrenees.

I am planning my own tent as well, and I am more concerned about sewing the seams, taping them and getting the whole thing waterproof then about the design itself

Could you give s few links, with sewing tecniques for example,
and adresses where you got the fabric, guylines etc.?

One useful adress for fabric is the german site http://www.extremtextil.de

They also have a good section with links to interesting projects.

Here is a nice example of a one man tent: http://www.flusslinie.de/index.htm

Click on "Behausung" and then "Zelt"

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: tunnel tent dimensions on 11/09/2011 07:41:57 MST Print View

Hi Henk

Thanks for your kind words. I love the Pyrenees, you will know why :-)
The foot of the tent is 60cm high and 80cm wide. I had the idea that could sleep with my head at the foot if the foot had to be pitched 'uphill' to face into a strong wind. I think you will be ok with 53cm high and you will not need more than 100cm wide.

Pete
All seams are flat fell seams, plenty instructions to be found on the web. They are not difficult when you get the hang of it, even with silnylon, so long as you pin the seam together before you sew. Sew along the pin line and the pinholes effectively disappear.
The pole sleeve is on the inside of the fly sewn into the seam at that point and is made from noseeum netting. Do not use silnylon for the sleeve - too much friction prevents the pole from sliding in easily. All fabrics were obtained from www.extremtextil.de who are excellent. The seams and the zip were sealed using Permatex Flowable Silicone, silnylon cannot be taped.

Diagrams added to the the original post in case they are of assistance, more pictures to follow.

Edited by Scunnered on 11/09/2011 09:21:25 MST.

Henk Smees
(theflyingdutchman) - MLife

Locale: Spanish Mountains
Yes, I know why -- and thanks on 11/09/2011 10:15:01 MST Print View

Hi Stuart,

>”I love the Pyrenees, you will know why :-)”<

I sure do. Because of distance (about 100 miles from where I live), you’ll find me more often in the Sierra Nevada - normally on weekend trips (although I’ve also done the Sulayr there). However, in the last 30 years I have spent more time in the Pyrenees than anywhere else. I have had numerous holidays with my wife there and I’ve done several GR’s of which I’ve completed the GR-11, “Carros de Fuego” (Aigüestortes), a 14-day-trip around Vignemale and Midi d’Ossau (Haute Pyrénées), I’ve been on top of the Aneto and, at the moment, I’m organizing a 14-day-trip in the Ordesa-area (for next year). So yes, I know why you love the Pyrenees. :)

Many thanks for the dimensions of your tent (and the diagrams in the original post), they sure are of help; the reason I asked was to assure myself that the 53 cm stay of my DIY-pack would be long enough -- especially when using an inflatable mat (I wouldn’t like to having to bring a specific pole, since I already carry these 2 aluminum -arrow- poles as my pack stays). After confirming your tent is 60cm high and “only” 80cm wide, I feel that mine (with a height of 53cm and a width of 108cm) will certainly be enough. Thanks again.

And yes, I agree. I’ve dealt with Martin (Extremtextil) several times. He really is a nice guy to work with (always responded swiftly at all my queries via e-mail) and.... excellent quality materials.

Looking forward to the other pictures.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Beautiful Tent on 11/09/2011 12:14:28 MST Print View

Wow--this is quite the inspiration. Beautiful tent.

Andrew Bishop
(copperhead) - M

Locale: Down Under
Silicone on 11/12/2011 16:43:14 MST Print View

Hi Stuart

Did you also use the Permatex Flowable Silicone bond the noseeum to the fly?

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Re: Silicone on 11/13/2011 10:26:28 MST Print View

No, the Permatex is too runny for that. To bond the noseeum I used regular clear silicone sealant. This is sufficiently viscous to hold the noseeum in place while it dries.

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Pictures added... on 11/13/2011 10:47:49 MST Print View

to the original post, and here's one next to Vignemale on a cold morning in the shade!

Vignemale - tent

John West
(skyzo) - M

Locale: Borah Gear
Tent on 11/13/2011 11:35:02 MST Print View

Wow, by far the best MYOG tent I have seen. Great job, looks awesome, I might have to try and make something like it soon

Henk Smees
(theflyingdutchman) - MLife

Locale: Spanish Mountains
Thanks for pics - and some more. on 11/14/2011 13:34:16 MST Print View

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the pics. Much appreciated. Here’s some pics of my “collection”. I’m sure you’ll recognize the first (made from the Refuge des Oulettes de Gaube).

Vignemale

The next two show my Homemade TFD 1.4 pack and GoLite Lair 1 in a nearby area (Bivouac-area next to the Refuge Wallon-Marcadau).

Lair 1 + TNF Wallon 1

LAir 1 + TNF pack - Wallon 2

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
MYOG 1 person tunnel tent on 11/16/2011 19:35:56 MST Print View

Hi Stuart,

Note that you have posted before about the quality of the silnylon from ExtremTextil, and about one silnylon of theirs that includes PU also on one side.

Also note that Roger Caffin has posted about improved PU coated nylons where the PU penetrates the fabric, and does not just sit on top.

The above is background to inquire if there have been any sagging issues with your tent, as commonly occurs to a large degree with many silnylons available here in the USA. Note that you have had it out in a variety of conditions, and all the photos show a taut canopy.

So I am wondering if that is so, if the quality or type of the silnylon from ExtremTextil may be a factor.

Would greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts on this, if you care to share them.
Thanks.

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Re: silnylon sag on 11/17/2011 13:52:47 MST Print View

Hi Samuel

Silnylon sag is an interesting effect, because my experience is at variance with my knowledge :(
Both nylon and silicone have a large positive temperature coefficient of expansion. Also nylon is well known for absorbing up to 8% moisture and expanding as a result.
All of the above would suggest that sagging due to material expansion should be worst in warm wet conditions.

However, my experience is that sagging is worst in cold conditions. The worst I have experienced is shown below, with an estimated temperature of -5C.

Vaude sag in frost

My MYOG tent has not been in conditions that cold, the coldest is shown in the picture a few posts above, when there was a light ground frost. Even so the silnylon did not sag much. It noticably tautens up when the morning sun gets on it tho'.
In conclusion, I would say that the silnylon from extremtextil is at least as good as the commercial silnylon used in the Vaude Ferret above. I have no idea how it compares to US silnylon or PU coated silnylon. HTH

Edited by Scunnered on 11/17/2011 13:53:38 MST.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
MYOG 1 person tunnel tent on 11/17/2011 22:02:28 MST Print View

Stuart,
Thanks for your response.
Unfortunately, the photo of your tent in the frost came out a little faded, on my computer anyway, so I couldn't tell much about sagging.

When the temp here drops to close to the freezing point at night in the fall, that is always enough to bring about significant sagging of silnylon, although maybe not quite as much as the Vaude tent in your photo.

If your tent didn't sag much near or at the freezing point, you have got a winner.

Edited by scfhome on 11/17/2011 22:05:00 MST.