Forum Index » GEAR » What is a sufficient footprint substitute you use?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Polycro's Achilles heel on 05/13/2011 13:29:31 MDT Print View

Polycro (heat-shrink window wrap) is:

1. very puncture resistant
2. waterproof
3. light
4. packs small
5. relatively cheap
BUT...
6.TEARS EASILY (from the edges)

I solved this peoblem by using the clear double-sided tape that comes in Lowe's window wrap package. I laid it down along the edges 1/2 inch in from the raw edge and folded the raw edge over it, thus creating s "taped hem". It's very strong. This tape is a good reason to get the window wrap version of polycro at your local home improvement store.

Next I wrapped small pieces of reinfforcing duct tape over the 4 corner edges and melted small holes in them for Triptease cords W/ small plastic snap hooks at the ends to attatch to the end corner elastic floor cords of my TT Momnent. This keeps the wind from messing up the footprint or even blowing it away.

Rodney OndaRock
(RodneyOndaRock) - F

Locale: Southern California
I think it's tyvek material on 08/04/2011 10:36:12 MDT Print View

One time I mail ordered socks from REI, they were delivered in a giant tyvek(?) mailer bag. 18" wide x 24" long. seemed excessive for such a small item.

I cut the two long sides of the bag, to MYOG footprint 18" x 48" (24*2)

it has a "peel here to seal" glue side. haven't decided if I want to cut it off or that could be useful somehow in the future.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: What is a sufficient footprint substitute you use? on 08/04/2011 11:22:46 MDT Print View

2mil plastic painters' dropsheet. $10 roll from Lowe's is almost a lifetime supply and allows me to cut exactly the size I need for different tarps, conditions, etc. I got the textured plastic which is less slippery and seems stiffer.