Forum Index » GEAR » Does anyone NOT Use a Cozy for Freeaer Bag Cooking?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin R
(5150Bronco) - F

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.
how useful are cozies? on 06/19/2011 21:57:50 MDT Print View

I have read that cozies are efficient and help cook faster and preserve heat longer..., but how good are they really and is it work the 1.5 onces or so of weight?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Does anyone NOT Use a Cozy for Freeaer Bag Cooking?" on 06/19/2011 22:03:06 MDT Print View

I don't use a cozy.

Usually I wrap my freezer bag meal in my Buff headpiece or a bandana, then put it inside my now empty pot, then tuck it away somewhere for my food to finish rehydrating. If I'm not wearing my insulation piece, I'll wrap my freezer bag inside my down or synthetic jacket and set it aside. A cozy is NOT an essential piece of kit for freezer bag cooking IMO.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: "Does anyone NOT Use a Cozy for Freeaer Bag Cooking?" on 06/19/2011 22:08:35 MDT Print View

I'm with Eugene.

Christopher Mills
(Hiker816) - MLife

Locale: Denver
Re: "Does anyone NOT Use a Cozy for Freezer Bag Cooking?" on 06/19/2011 22:55:33 MDT Print View

Like Sarah, I think they are worth while in bear country. I wouldn't want to use my jacket or hat for fear it would pick up the smell of food, especially since I'll probably be wearing that jacket/hat that night. I can just throw the cozy in the bear can or bear bag and not stress about it.

Edited by Hiker816 on 06/19/2011 22:57:23 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: "Does anyone NOT Use a Cozy for Freezer Bag Cooking?" on 06/19/2011 23:12:27 MDT Print View

I'll say it again:
If you hike in bear country please do NOT use your jacket, hat, sleeping bag, socks, etc as a cozy. Use something dedicated and small that you can put in your bear bag, canister or Ursack at night!!!!

And yes, cozies DO work. If you hike at altitude, in colder temps and/or use items that require longer rehydration times (think dried versus freeze-dried vegetables or say cooked and dried beans) a cozy becomes very important. You don't really need a cozy in August for say mashed potatoes, ramen or couscous - those all rehdyrate in a couple minutes.

Mark Binder
(Mentat) - F
Dont need em on 06/19/2011 23:31:28 MDT Print View

Energy Waisted imho, much rather warm up my toes using my sleeping bag than let all that perfectly good heat go away and not do anything. Think of it, multi use energy!

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
I do on 06/20/2011 04:04:44 MDT Print View

I made my cozy out of an old reflective car sun screen. I suppose that's what you guys are calling reflctix.

Anyway I shaped it to my pot so I could ditch my stuff sack and still keep soot off everything. I simply pour my hot water into the bag, slide the pot into the cozy, then slide the open bag into the pot, put the lid on and flip the cozy lid closed. For best results I try to find a rock or something to place on top in order to better seal the cozy.

If you have trouble with melting the bag on the pot I suppose you could just negate the pot from the cozy process but still store the pot in it when packed.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
bear country on 06/20/2011 07:53:51 MDT Print View

all of my hiking is done in bear country, so I'll take the 1.2 oz hit (this is for a two person cozy)- it's very efficient and packs small

I have no doubt that a down cap/down jacket/other insulating layer (not convinced a bandana would be that great) would work as well, but as Mary points it's not uncommon (for my clutzy self anyways :) ) to get occasionally get some spillage- I don't particularly want that on my hat/jacket that I may depending on as part of my sleep system

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Re: Re: "Does anyone NOT Use a Cozy for Freezer Bag Cooking?" on 06/20/2011 08:05:07 MDT Print View

Agreed, Sarah.

Even without spillage, I experience significant smell transfer. If 'I' can smell it, everything else in the woods can, too. My cozy goes in the hang bag or the canister along with the food. Besides, if it's cold outside, I'm wearing all my clothes!

Edited by AaronMB on 06/20/2011 08:07:13 MDT.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Odor on 06/20/2011 10:42:37 MDT Print View

I agree about smell transfer. Theoretically it shouldn't happen if you're careful, but in my experience it does. My cozy is a bubblewrap envelope intended for shipping glass bottles, which just happens to fit a gallon ziplock perfectly. It weighs right at 1 ounce. After a few meals I can pick up a faint odor on it, so I know everything living in the woods I'm visiting can too.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Does anyone NOT Use a Cozy for Freeaer Bag Cooking? on 06/20/2011 15:26:04 MDT Print View

I ditched my cozy for a shallow lidded "disposable" plastic container (like "Gladware"). Weighs a little over an ounce and it serves as a cozy, a dish/bowl, and I also use it to store crackers and other fragile foods. It's been a surprisingly handy thing to have in my pack. When it's especially cold, I can wrap a hat or whatever around it for extra insulation and have found that it contains the smell much better than a ziplock bag.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Does anyone NOT Use a Cozy for Freeaer Bag Cooking? on 06/20/2011 15:40:07 MDT Print View

Country time lemonade container. All my stuff goes in it for
packing. Crush proof and can handle hot water.
For cooking the bag goes in, hot water, fold the edges over
and I put the lid on and it holds the heat in pretty well. In winter
I might wrap it with my microfiber dishcloth or a bandana.

Gives me something to hold on to when I eat.

David Brandenberg
(daveinflag) - F

Locale: High Desert
Freeze Dried Meal Cozy on 01/24/2014 07:02:35 MST Print View

http://outsak.blogspot.com/2014/01/escape-pouch-freeze-dried-meal-cozy-and.html

We make a freeze dried meal cozy.

Edited by daveinflag on 01/24/2014 07:04:08 MST.

shane sibert
(grinder) - F

Locale: P.N.W
cozy on 01/24/2014 08:03:49 MST Print View

I use my Montbell watch cap in non-bear country. Other times I have a cozy I made that serves double duty. It opens up and doubles as a second wind screen for my cat stove.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Re: more cozy thoughts on 01/24/2014 09:40:39 MST Print View

I use a 2 piece plastic caddy for my kitchen. Holds my beer can pot and other stuff.

1/2 of the caddy is used to hold the freezer bag of food while pouring the water into it, rehydrate the food and eat out of the same container. The other half is used to hold my drink. The container is multipurpose for sure.

No cozy used. 5 min. to rehydrate a MT House meal and it's still to hot to eat right away.

photo 8b0286b6-bb06-4f6a-b8cc-746e3069b11b_zps58fb5d32.jpg

Edited by zelph on 01/24/2014 09:54:13 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
kitchen caddy on 01/24/2014 11:04:58 MST Print View

The caddy weighs 3oz.

That's not bad for a combo cup, bowl and caddy.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
cozy. on 01/24/2014 15:30:52 MST Print View

Never, not needed. Just another unnecessary single purpose item for the type A personality.

As long as you have a hat, jacket, fleece, or sleeping bag, you dont need a cozy for a freezer bag. If you are worried about leaks, bring an extra freezer bag and double bag it.

Honestly, reflectix cozys dont work all that great anyway.

I have never noticed any smells. In grizzly country I might be more cautious. I dont worry about black bears wanting my cap, there is a whole foodbag closeby that would draw their attention first.

Edited by livingontheroad on 01/24/2014 15:34:34 MST.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Odor transfer on 01/24/2014 16:29:08 MST Print View

I agree that even without spillage, the odor from freeze dried foods transfer. I'm especially sensitive to odors when I'm outdoors, and I've noticed that my clothing will just absolutely reek of the smell of the freeze dried meal I ate even with my having taken extreme care to spill none of it on me. It simply picks up the odor, much like it will of campfire if I'm around one of those. While I would still balk at using a piece of clothing as a cozy in bear country, I do have to wonder how much it matters. If I think I reek of what I ate for dinner, I image a bear can smell me miles off. It's made me wonder if I ought not store my clothing away from my tent after I change into my sleep gear.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Yes on 01/24/2014 17:20:20 MST Print View

I have always used a cozy, the best way to get orza pasta to cook with esbit. The cozy is needed to get the pot off the fire (to keep the pasta from sticking) but after about 20 minutes, the pasta is done. Mixed with parmesan cheese and olive oil.

I make my own out of CC foam. I've compared it to the reflectix cozy; no comparison, much hotter, longer. No large pockets of air for convection of heat. Foam is glued with 5 minute epoxy, then that seam is covered by the metal tape.

Cozy1cozy2

Pics are from my latest, for an Evernew 600mL. Weighs 0.6oz with 1/4" thick foam, 1/2" thick in the lid.

Steve

Rick .
(overheadview) - F

Locale: NYC
Try it on 01/24/2014 19:11:13 MST Print View

I say just try leaving it for a trip and see if you miss it. I've never used one, nor really knew there was such a thing until recently, though that's a small dataset. I just let the alum pot cool while I stir a bit and place it back in there for stability while eating.