Forum Index » GEAR » Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Martin RJ Carpenter
(MartinCarpenter) - F
Stability on 04/26/2011 07:54:47 MDT Print View

The products (if excellent) might be broadly replacable from other people now, but the peace of mind of knowing that once you've found a shoe you've that fits nicely an identical replacement is almost certainly going to be there when it wears out? Much harder to find and really *hugely* reassuring!

Compare that to say Montrail (esp with their recent UK 'distribution') and you can imagine why I wish they fitted my feet.... They don't though. Oh well :)

carl becker
(carlbecker) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ? on 04/26/2011 08:24:15 MDT Print View

I did a fair amount of reseach into gear, shoes included. I have tried many different brands of shoe and tried different types of Inov 8 shoes. I finally tried the X-talon 212's. They fit my feet much better then the 315's or 370's. What keeps me in them beside the fit is the light weight and grip. Most trail runners will dry quickly enough not to bother me and I do walk through streams wearing my shoes. What I don't like is how fast the tread wears and they are not made in the USA. I will keep a new pair as backup as long as these are made. I no longer look at different shoes to purchase. I am sure your foot is different than mine.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
"Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ?" on 04/26/2011 08:30:39 MDT Print View

+1 on the 212s. My only complaint is that I wish they drained/dried a bit faster. The uppers are pretty tough though. I think I'm going to try some 285s next since they sound pretty similar but with a different mesh and soles (which I wouldn't mind...the x-talon soles are sweet but do wear faster than the roclite soles with their increased surface area).

Andy Dixon
(sideshowandy) - F
INOV8's on 04/27/2011 05:08:35 MDT Print View

my feet are pretty tolerant, I can happily wear most decent brands.

what sets Inov8 apart for me is the absolutely superb grip some of their sole units provide. I have sticky sole trainers from the likes of Five Ten & Montrail. None compares to the grip from my Roclite 318's - yes the rubber is a little softer, but that's the point, on dodgy surfaces - wet greasy rock, wet grass etc, nothing can match it

kevperro .
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Washington State
Re: INOV8's on 04/27/2011 10:01:17 MDT Print View

I'm the opposite.... I have to be picky about footwear because my feet suck. I had to get custom orthodontics when I was in the Army otherwise I developed bad shin-splints from running in military boots with a pack on hard surfaces.

I don't know if that abuse aggravated the problem but now I'm fairly picky about what I use. Fit and some support seem to work the best for me so even if a shoe doesn't have all the features, is heavy or isn't the most popular, I use what fits my foot the best and keeps me from developing lower-leg pain.

How do I know what fits? Good question.... I just know from the experience of using a lot of different boots/shoes over the years. I can now go into a store, try them on and have a pretty good idea how they will work on the trail for me. I've taken my kids to fit them for hiking and I never know exactly how to explain to them what to look for outside of the obvious. My son can put on any shoe that he can get his foot into and it doesn't seem to bother him. I'll try on twenty different shoes and still not find one I like. Go figure...

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: RE: RE: Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ? on 04/27/2011 12:40:34 MDT Print View

Wish I could write more, but no time. I've only got about 60 miles on mine, but so far I like them a lot. I have VA prescribed orthodontics and they work really well with them.

Edited by socalpacker on 04/27/2011 12:41:18 MDT.

Evan McCarthy
(evanrussia) - MLife

Locale: Northern Europe
RE: Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ? on 04/27/2011 13:17:55 MDT Print View

I'm torn. I love the X-Talon 212s. The grip, feel, and weight are amazing.

But my feet ached in them more than other shoes and the pads of my feet began to hurt for the entire week after an outing. My stride and technique could be to blame, of course. But when I switched back to Salomon Speed Cross 2s (inferior grip and heavier) my foot aches went away and I ended up with happier feet.

James S
(HikinNC) - F
OrthoDONTICS? on 04/27/2011 14:25:23 MDT Print View

:)

Surely you meant orthotics, you two..

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
RE: Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ? on 04/27/2011 20:15:13 MDT Print View

I went to the store intending to buy Merrell Trail Glove shoes based on what I'd read about them. I tried many different brands and models, but walked out with a pair of Inov8 flite 230's because they felt like they were custom made for my feet and had a minimal sole very much like the Trail Gloves. The New Balance MT101's were a very close second, but a little thicker and softer than what I wanted.

I knew instantly that I didn't like the Trail Gloves. They felt like someone messed up on the design due to a lump under the ball of the foot and a tight, very inflexible heel last which seemed out of place on such a minimal shoe.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: OrthoDONTICS? on 04/27/2011 20:35:23 MDT Print View

unless they are putting their foot in their mouths.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: OrthoDONTICS? on 04/27/2011 20:50:29 MDT Print View

I noticed the lump under the ball of the Trail Gloves as well. Something about them just didn't feel right for my foot.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
Works for me on 04/27/2011 21:29:58 MDT Print View

I was trying to resist this thread as I don't feel that I've proven out my Inov8s yet, but since this thread is still alive I am going to add my 2 cents. I have a high instep and weak joints which has kept me away from going the trail runner route, but I still wanted to lighten up my footwear. I picked up a pair of 390s from Gear Trade and I couldn't have been happier. I have put about 60 miles on them so far and I only switched to a heavier boot in winter for the insulation. Otherwise, they feel like I am wearing my Tevas. Lightweight yet supportive. I loosen the laces in camp, but other than that I don't seem to be getting that 'my dogs are tired and worn' feeling that I used to get from heavier boots. I like them so much that I have already thought about the next pair when the time comes - not which mfg, which Inov-8 model. Somebody pass the Kool-Aid.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE:, Etc. Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ? on 04/27/2011 21:47:10 MDT Print View

Yes James. Thank you for the kind correction. :)

Ed Schmidt
(suttree) - F

Locale: ON, CANADA
Inov-8 and Backpacking on 04/28/2011 08:20:48 MDT Print View

Reasons I loved the X-Talon 212 on the PCT and will wear the X-Talon 190 on the CDT:

(1) Lightweight++
(2) Grippy
(3) Durable (1000+ miles on my last pair)

That said, no shoe is appropriate for all (or even most). These shoes happen to be excellent for on-trail long-distance backpacking on feet adapted to minimalist shoes.

The price has gone up, though... Stop buying them, so I can get them cheaper!
;)

Gary Dowe
(Opishing) - F

Locale: Northern Ontario
Inov8 on 04/28/2011 08:41:36 MDT Print View

Last year I switched from traditional backpacking boots to a pair of 315's based on information and reviews from this site. I used them for the coastal trail in Lake Superior Provincial Park - a rough trail in some parts with quite a bit of rock hopping, slab walking and some beach and trail walking. I couldn't ask for more from a shoe. The grip was great,no blisters or raw spots, and when I rolled in to camp at the end of the day there were no thoughts of getting my boots off to put on camp shoes. I was carrying about 25 lb load (full, day one)and there was no issue with support.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ? on 04/28/2011 09:45:00 MDT Print View

Innov8 a cult? No way. But there is a backpack brand that will remain unnamed that qualifies............

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ? on 04/28/2011 11:14:53 MDT Print View

>> Terroc 330

By far one of my favorite runners. Mine are very worn down and overdue for replacement, but are not causing problems. I recently started using Fivefinger Treks. The transition to minimal was facilitated by the 330's especially since they were well worn.

I can see buying another pair of Inov8 in the future. Not sure if I will stick with the 330 with only reason to just try another model.

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Roclite 268 v 315 v Flyroc 310 on 04/28/2011 18:06:03 MDT Print View

I currently have Solomon trail runners. I like them, but I'd like to try other options. I found a store that carries New Balance and Inov8. I found that the New Balance 101s fit well (and I like my NB running shoes, so I thought I'd try them first), but the 101s might be a bit too minimalist for me. They didn't have a full complement of Inov8s on hand--the Rocklite 268 was all they had, and I can't find a store with the other models.

Any advice?

Edited by DianaV on 04/28/2011 18:08:14 MDT.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Roclite 268 v 315 v Flyroc 310 on 04/28/2011 18:11:09 MDT Print View

I believe the 268 is female specific where the 310 and 315 are unisex (ie. male). The 268 is likely closest to the unisex 295.

Michael Bachman
(rivrfox) - F - M

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado
I drank the kool-aid.. :) on 04/29/2011 15:29:01 MDT Print View

There was a point where I could have shoe goo'd them to make them last longer but I let them blow out...def. put the 315s through their paces.

innov8
innov8
innov8
innov8