Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Protecting Pack from Rain under Tarp
Display Avatars Sort By:
Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Protecting Pack from Rain under Tarp on 04/23/2011 23:02:12 MDT Print View

So I have made my first foray into the Tarp/Bivy setup and will be using the GoLite Poncho Tarp. The question is when using a smaller tarp like that do you find the need for something like a garbage sack to put your pack/shoes etc.. inside to protect from wind blown rain?

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Protecting Pack from Rain under Tarp on 04/23/2011 23:12:07 MDT Print View

I use a Gatewood Cape (a shaped tarp), which has far better storm protection than your standard rectangular tarp. There's always room under the tarp for my pack and boots. That said, I always carry a large lawn and leaf bag. I put my pack inside that if I'm cowboy camping. That way, if I awaken to the patter of unexpected precipitation, my pack stays dry while I try to put up my shelter while only 1/3 conscious.

In your case, I'd put my shoes in the bottom of my bivy and my pack under my head....or carry the L&L bag, which is easier.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Protecting Pack from Rain under Tarp on 04/24/2011 00:07:18 MDT Print View

Randy,

I use a frameless pack, Jam2.

If it is raining, I will empty everything in the pack and place the pack under my legs, in the bivy.

The space above my head in my Mountain Laurel Designs Soul Side Zip Bivy is large enough to hold all of my gear and protect it from the rain.

Things like my MSR Kettle, platypus water bottle, and other things that I am not worried about if they get wet are outside my bivy, under the tarp with in arms reach from the bivy.

If I am not expecting rain, I just place my empty pack under my legs, under my bivy.

I carry a garbage bag as a pack liner and I will store my shoes in them and keep them in or outside the bivy, depending on how heavy the rain is.

Otherwise, in not rain situations, I will place my shoes under my bivy and position them to be my pillow.

Hope this helps.

-Tony

Hope that helps

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Protecting Pack from Rain under Tarp on 04/24/2011 03:12:38 MDT Print View

Slide your pack into your TLD CloudKilt (or CloudCape) and your set for the hardest rain. :)

Thom
TrailLite Designs

Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
Re: Protecting Pack from Rain under Tarp on 04/24/2011 07:45:02 MDT Print View

I also use a poncho tarp and bivy, and use pretty much the same approach as Tony. By the time I setup camp my pack tends to be pretty much empty anyway, and can go in the bivy with me. (If you're carrying something but it stays in your pack all the time, why are you carrying it?)

Certain framed packs aren't comfortable under your legs or in your bivy, in which case a garbage bag is an excellent suggestion.

Here's a list I used earlier this year. The shelter stuff gets setup, the cooking stuff can get wet, I either wear the clothes or use them as a pillow, which leaves the tiny fire and first aid kits to be stashed in my bivy. Shoes go under my bivy, usually at the head end for a pillow.

OR Peak Bagger 9.2

Poncho Tarp 7.2
Ti Stakes (8) 1.6
TiGoat Bivy 6.9
MH Phantom 32 (Long) 24
GG 1/8" Thinlight Pad 3.1

BPL Trapper Mug 1.6
Ti Esbit Stove 0.46
Wind Screen 0.6
Lexan Spoon 0.2
Platypus 1 liter 0.9

Fire Kit 1
First Aid/Toiletries 1

Possumdown Socks 1.8
BPL Cocoon Hoody 10
Golite Ether Wind Shirt 4.4
Balaclava 1

Photon Freedom 0.22
Sunglasses 1

Edited by cowexnihilo on 04/24/2011 07:46:10 MDT.

Mike Hensel
(mike220) - M

Locale: Northwest
Protecting Pack from Rain under Tarp on 04/24/2011 16:42:59 MDT Print View

I pull the compactor bag out of the inside of my pack and put the pack in it. Works assuming your pack isn't too large.