Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re: Hair down there on 09/16/2011 14:16:36 MDT Print View

Doug!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Re: Re: Re: Hair down there on 09/16/2011 14:28:56 MDT Print View

Same here! If laughter is the best medicine, Doug has delivered an awesome dose!

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Hair down there on 09/16/2011 17:52:42 MDT Print View

Was enjoying am ice cream sandwich when I read Doug's "poem" ... anyone know how to clean ice cream off a display and keyboard?

regarding:
"Scrubbed them in the shining Big-Sea-Water.
There my wrinkled old nether region

Scrubbing in the Big-Sea-Water (Lake Superior) will most cause your nethers to shrivel as well as wrinkle! Cold, that lake is!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Re: Re: Hair down there on 09/16/2011 18:44:08 MDT Print View

I nominate Doug as Poet Laureate of BPL!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Stinky on 09/16/2011 19:31:12 MDT Print View

Healthy people with a good diet don't smell as much. To me the 12 grams of dried/cut baby wipes are well worth their weight. I don't mind getting dirty and I appreciate what a luxury it is to be able to get in my shower and turn on the hot water, but why be stinky if you don't have to...

Clayton Black
(Jivaro) - MLife
Archtek toothpaste tablets on 09/17/2011 20:49:45 MDT Print View

Not as fun as DYI toothpaste dots but handy. Don't know about the ingredients though. Great book and fun reading.

Toothpaste Tablets

http://www.amazon.com/Archtek-Travel-Toothpaste-Tablets/dp/B005EZZO6Q/ref=pd_sbs_hpc1

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Locale: Norcal
a good toothpaste to dry on 09/18/2011 00:49:10 MDT Print View

I've been trying to dry colgate total for two months in the arid central valley of california. Its sill sticky and not hardening at all.

What's a good brand to make the dots?

Kristin Fiebelkorn
(kushbaby)

Locale: South Texas
Sensodyne on 09/18/2011 05:36:19 MDT Print View

After reading another thread on this, I did a "head to head" of Colgate (the one suggested - I already used it and had some on hand) and Sensodyne Pronamel (I had a sample from the dentist). I just put lines of each on wax paper and dried in room air (don't have a dehydrator). I'm in San Antonio - not really, REALLY dry, but not soggy either.

The Colgate was all spready and took weeks (and is still sort of sticky now). The Sensodyne was mostly dry by 24 hours, and curling up off of the wax paper in solid little "ropes" that you could pick up like sticks within 48 hours. This is even after moving the plates into the bathroom for convenience (where it's more humid). The OP of the other thread (also trying different brands for a trip) also found that Sensodyne worked very well (not sure what "type" of Sensodyne he used).

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Re: a good toothpaste to dry on 09/18/2011 09:18:13 MDT Print View

""I've been trying to dry colgate total for two months in the arid central valley of california. Its sill sticky and not hardening at all.
What's a good brand to make the dots?""

When I made dots in a dehydrator I tried several kinds. The regular old looking Colgate (plane-looking label, travel size, $.99) did the best and was ready after several hours. I tried the Colgate, Arm&Hammer Whitening and Crest ProHealth. Try to avoid stuff with "gels."

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Archtek toothpaste tablets on 09/18/2011 09:26:00 MDT Print View

Those are kinda cool. Little on the spendy side compared to a tube of paste. But they are already ready.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Stinky on 09/18/2011 17:41:19 MDT Print View

"but why be stinky if you don't have to..."

It's a guy thing, Kat. You know, snakes and snails and puppy dog tails, and all that stuff... ;=)

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
reply to Jennifer & Clayton on 09/20/2011 18:35:07 MDT Print View

Jennifer --- I used Colgate TOTAL recently (it's chalky and white) and it dried fast and perfectly.

I might have that wrong, I don't have the tube anymore so I can't be sure.

Clayton --- I love the pre made dots!!! THanks for the heads up!!!

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
Highly recommended. on 09/20/2011 18:46:29 MDT Print View

I may regret admitting this, but I've shaved "there" for hygiene and ease of use.

I spent ten years in a row working 30-day trips on glaciers in Alaska for NOLS. The itchy factor was minimal, and the benefits of "no hassle" was worth it. I will do it again for my next big trip. Highly recommended.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Highly recommended. on 09/21/2011 12:33:48 MDT Print View

I regret it :) Too much info!

Re: toothpaste

I use Colgate liquid gel type toothpaste in a small wide-mouth vial so I can get it all.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Baking soda, not toothpaste on 09/21/2011 12:44:54 MDT Print View

Baking soda is a LOT easier on the environment--no white spots on the ground or foliage where you spit it out (you don't even need to spit it out!). Dentist recommended, multiple uses--what more do you want?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
LATS on 09/23/2011 21:12:57 MDT Print View

Thanks Mike!

I had never heard this acronym prior to this article; I'll be using it now.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that the simplicity of this recent tip has not sparked outcries of "DUH!" or "You're going to get people killed by telling them not to check the satellite forecasts!".

That said, I think it's a totally spot-on and relevant post, especially in this age of electronics, smartphones on the trail, and spreadsheet micromanagement/preplanning of every aspect of a trip.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Baking soda, not toothpaste on 09/23/2011 21:49:05 MDT Print View

"Dentist recommended, multiple uses--what more do you want?"

For it not to feel or taste like baking soda, blech.

Though it is amazing stuff.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

LATS on 09/23/2011 22:51:44 MDT Print View

It's surprising--and unfortunate--how many people are dependent on modern technology and don't learn to observe!

Mountains often make their own weather, and weather forecasters forecast for the cities, which are mainly in the plain.

Rarely, I've known thunderstorms to arrive in the middle of the night after a cloudless sunset. However, they usually announce their coming. One night a few years ago, I started dreaming that a big group of berry pickers was shining flashlights on my tent. That's probably because the night before a couple of jokers really were shining lights on my tent, ostensibly looking for a campsite about 11 pm, and because I'd been "grazing" on huckleberries all day. Finally, the thunder woke me up.

One time the bad weather didn't announce itself. In the Wind Rivers in August 2009, the evening I exited the mountains was cloudless and turning cold, seemingly indicating a clear night. About 2 am I woke up and heard gurgling in the motel's gutters--it was pouring rain outside in Pinedale! I was told by people who were up in the mountains (in a foot of snow) that up there the storm was preceded by thunder and lightning, though.

Out here in the NW, we often get some spectacular lenticular cloud formations when a storm front is moving in, especially around our large volcanoes:
http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/130313053.html

Edited by hikinggranny on 09/23/2011 22:56:42 MDT.

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Locale: Norcal
Baking soda to dry up my sticky colgate dots on 09/24/2011 00:57:05 MDT Print View

Maybe i could shake the dots up in a bag so they don't stick and meld back together.

I just bought a tube of tom's so I think I'll try drying that but it's whitening too and maybe that's why the colgate's not drying? The weather is dry here and it's been months so I don't think putting it in the dehydrator will help.

Next time I run out of toothpaste I'll get sensidyne.

JASON CUZZETTO
(cuzzettj) - MLife

Locale: NorCal - South Bay
RE: Tip of the Week on 09/26/2011 20:11:30 MDT Print View

Mike's book is fantastic. I start teaching an outdoors skills class to 12 middle school boys and girls next week. I will be using his book as my assistant teacher/companion. I have had the book for two weeks and am on my third read. Thank you Mike!!!