Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
tip #116 on 12/29/2011 08:00:52 MST Print View

I like the sequence of the weekly tips. This week shows us how to clean ourselves up after last week's bear encounter.

C Nugget
(nuggetwn)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
materials on 01/02/2012 15:54:25 MST Print View

What would you use in a dessert environment like the Grand Canyon?? I guess smooth somewhat pointed rocks if you can find them in the creek beds? Everything there seems to be quite pointy and sharp.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
In the Grand Canyon on 01/02/2012 16:11:06 MST Print View

There is a lot of sandstone in the desert southwest. This is pretty good. Smooth stones will show up in the natural washes.

That said, many of the pants tend to be prickly and not at all appropriate.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: tip #116 on 01/04/2012 00:37:59 MST Print View

Holy crap Mike.

I've been a zero TP devotee for many years now...but I've never considered "The butt scuff on dewy tufts of grass". I always did love how my dog does that one on the carpet.

Rest assured, I'll be anxiously looking for my first opportunity...and hopefully not interrupted by a troop of scouts.

michael rankin
(michaelb41) - F
Waste on 01/04/2012 15:17:27 MST Print View

He said, "waist."

joseph king
(skinup) - F
moohie grande on 01/04/2012 19:38:27 MST Print View

#116 best tip ever

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
No TP on 01/09/2012 10:19:58 MST Print View

Yes, I have been a no TP hiker for the past few years. Some of my fellow hikers just don't like the idea. My toilet kit is soap.

Anyway Mike, I have been wondering about one thing. Your book along with the video that's floating around showing the process shows you throwing the pieces of sticks, rocks, leaves, grass away from the cathole. I think you use the term "get it out of the system" or something like that.

My question is why? Wouldn't it be better to bury it in the cathole?

Just a wonderin' what the reasoning behind that was.

Scott

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Do the best you can! on 01/09/2012 10:44:53 MST Print View

REPLY TO SCOTT:
===================

What I usually say is to put the first few wiping "stones" into the hole, and then toss the other ones "out of the system" I try and toss these under a bush.

I am NOT at all worried that this minimal amount of suspect matter will contaminate anything.

THe biggest issue with the cat hole is that it is near impossible in some places to dig a hole 6 to 8 inches deep. With or without a trowel, it's hard to accomplish!

So - I simply espouse; Do the best you can!

Mike C!

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
TP on 01/09/2012 12:56:29 MST Print View

Thanks Mike.

My sister asked me what to get my brother for Christmas and I told her to go online, type your name and get a few of your books. He was quite pleased and I now have MY books back.

Scott

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Do the best you can! on 01/27/2012 09:11:47 MST Print View

Mike...would you recommend this book as a companion to Lighten Up or could one get as much info by just purchasing this book? Thanks.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

LIGHTEN UP / ULTRALIGHT TIPS on 01/27/2012 15:11:44 MST Print View

LIGHTEN UP by Don Ladigan is an excellent primmer to ULTRALIGHT TIPS.

They are sort of meant to be purchased together, but they certainly stand alone too.

ULTRALIGHT TIPS is dedicated to more advanced tips and techniques. If you are already a seasoned backpacker with a little bit of lightweight experience under your belt, you might not need LIGHTEN UP.

LIGHTEN UP has a really good chapter on bear camping.

Let me also add that I love Don Ladigan! He was absolutely wonderful to work with, and I consider him a true mentor.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: LIGHTEN UP / ULTRALIGHT TIPS on 01/27/2012 16:25:44 MST Print View

you should watch Mike's free instructional videos also

http://ultralightbackpackintips.blogspot.com/2011/07/video-tutorials.html

Daniel Paladino
(dtpaladino) - F - MLife

Locale: Northern Rockies
The Manifesto on 01/27/2012 17:38:54 MST Print View

Recognize this tip? That's because you've seen it before! Don't worry readers, Mike Clelland is working hard to provide some fresh new tips for the months to come.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Ahh, the top ten, Great Tips! on 01/30/2012 04:58:38 MST Print View

Mike, you really nailed it with the top ten. These should be posted as the UL'ers commandments from a god to his chosen people.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Ahh, the top ten, Great Tips! on 02/01/2012 12:07:57 MST Print View

Left out my favorite :)

Commandments

Mike, I want to thank you for your efforts to help people enjoy their hiking experience with humor and creativity. Well done!

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
tip on 02/09/2012 01:11:57 MST Print View

"Recognize this tip? That's because you've seen it before! Don't worry readers, Mike Clelland is working hard to provide some fresh new tips for the months to come."

lol. i was gunna ask if this is ultralight tip of the month now.. :)

Austin Haidinyak
(AustinJames77) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Great book on 02/10/2012 09:43:57 MST Print View

I love these books, informative and fun! No matter how much I think I know UL, there's always some tips that I hadn't thought of. Thanks for posting these guys!

Jean-Francois Fortier
(jffortier) - MLife

Locale: Qu├ębec
Help on 02/13/2012 18:13:52 MST Print View

How can I access previous "tip of the week" ?

Is it me or what ? The information is so hard to
find on BPL.

Please help the search engine is driving me crazy ;)

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Help on 02/13/2012 19:31:41 MST Print View

> How can I access previous "tip of the week" ?

Buy the book! :)

The webpage that has the tip itself only shows the current tip. There is no archive of what they have shown already though if you go through all gazillion pages of this thread, you'll get a good idea of what was covered.

Michael Stancato
(michael7177) - F
Great Cartoons, who did them? on 02/23/2012 07:00:40 MST Print View

Great Cartoons, did Mike do them?

Here's my more mysterious ultralight criteria:

My criteria goes in this order:
1. Pick the right tool for the job
2. The tool must be dual purpose or used regularly.
3. Pick the lightest possible tool.

Price is not part of the equation because it could adversely affect quality. Resources and money will be saved if all the criteria are met.

Heavier items such as homes and furnishings divided by multiple users would equal something light or dual purpose.

Each step is recursive. Upon considering each step I will then reconsider the previous step. For example:

1. Pick the right tool for the job. I must consider whether the job really needs doing in the first place

2. The tool must be dual purpose or used regularly. Upon picking the the right tool I must consider whether I really need anything at all or can make do with what I already have or borrow to accomplish the task.

3. Pick the lightest possible tool. Lightness emerges from careful engineering combined with end user testing and redesign.