Ultralight Tip of the Week
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Salt? on 06/24/2011 14:53:43 MDT Print View

Mike - I'm really enjoying your book. I even got Mr. B to look at it. His interest picked up when he saw your line about it's ok to stink. Not the tip I would have picked for him to focus on, but I'll take what I can get.

I just made the spelt breakast, spicy olive oil, polenta-couscous, and dried pesto. In the dried pesto sauce recipe 1 teaspoon of sugar is listed twice. I guessed the extra sugar should have been 1 teaspoon of salt, so that's what I did. 1 TB of pesto powder and 1 TB of spicy oil mixed up into a small bit of heaven. I put it on the couscous-polenta.

I plan to make the other recipes early next week when I get to civilization so I can buy the ingredients I don't have here in Whoville.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: under the stars on 06/24/2011 19:01:29 MDT Print View

The only thing that comes close to sleeping under the stars is Peeing under the stars

Peeing while Peering upwards at the starry night skyses,
high, high on the hill
as my stream's steam rises,
surreal,
quite a thrill

Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Locale: below the mountains (AK)
spelling police 2.0 on 06/26/2011 03:32:02 MDT Print View

Ensure: make darn certain something will happen
Insure: set up a contingency plan in case something adverse happens.

Sorry Mike, but the English Major in me cringes far too often when I read your otherwise excellent books/tips.

I'm still reading them though! =)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: under the stars on 06/26/2011 07:23:34 MDT Print View

"The only thing that comes close to sleeping under the stars is Peeing under the stars"

Reminds me of the joke about the guy who walks up to a urinal and begins doing his business when he notices "look up" scrawled on the tile in front of him. He looks up along the wall and sees another scrawl - "look higher." He continues to look up the wall and sees - "higher still." Finally he looks straight up at the ceiling and reads - "quick, look down, you're peeing on your shoes!"

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Re: spelling police 2.0 on 06/26/2011 10:58:37 MDT Print View

Oh, Dan! As a fellow picky English Major I must point out--in good fun, of course--that Mike did indeed spell the word correctly. In this case, as you actually show above, it's a case of the "wrong word." ;) I can't help but smile a bit when reading students' papers and they don't realize they've done this because Microsoft's spell checker liked what it sees!

Admittedly, as a writer, I sometimes do this when I've been at it for a stretch. It happens, which is why good editing is good!

Great book, Mike. Thanks!
(If you have any say or are able to give feedback to Amazon/Kindle/Falcon, have them make sure your pictures are placed appropriately within the [Kindle's version] text in your next piece. FYI, there are quite a few pictures that seem to be misplaced by a paragraph/section, if you will, so the picture context doesn't quite fit in with the text. It's close and easily figured out but it's not something that would be acceptable in a traditional paper text, and so, IMO, should not happen in an electronic version either. This is just a nitpick and no reflection on you or your work; I appreciate your book, I'll reread it, and suggest it to others!)

Peeing under the stars is great; the early-morning field of stars is sublime. I often find myself lost in it all.

Doug, you might try a little back and forth turret action to help prevent going on your feet while getting lost in space. :)

Edited by AaronMB on 06/26/2011 11:07:00 MDT.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Spelling/word usage police on 06/26/2011 19:11:59 MDT Print View

I think spell-checking software is responsible for most of the errors like this.

We get typing in too much of a hurry and unintentionally type the wrong word, but spell-check of course doesn't pick it up because it doesn't know what word we intended to use. It has happened to me a lot.

IMHO, here's no substitute for a good human proofreader! Or preferably, several of them!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Spelling/word usage police on 06/26/2011 19:27:58 MDT Print View

There are computer programs available which will check spelling, punctuation, and usage. You can even set the checking rules or intensity that you want applied.

--B.G.--

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Spelling/word usage police on 06/26/2011 19:44:59 MDT Print View

For what it is worth, I don't care about spelling, IMHO. That being said, YMMV on spell checkers.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: under the stars on 06/26/2011 20:27:28 MDT Print View

""The only thing that comes close to sleeping under the stars is Peeing under the stars"

Some of us older folks have been known to do both at the same time. :(

Michael Reagan
(MichaelReagan) - F

Locale: Southern California
Spellcheckers on 06/26/2011 20:27:48 MDT Print View

Yep, I agree with Mary. I've caught a number of usage errors in things I've posted over the years (always after the fact, sigh).

Spelling, grammar, and junk like that is important. Otherwise we are just one hundred monkeys at one hundred keyboards. Or something like that. :o)

Michael

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Spellcheckers on 06/28/2011 19:37:35 MDT Print View

Speillng is way ovrreated

If you can undrestnad waht the syombls maen tehn the msseage is succsseful.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Ultralight Tip of the Week--#32 on 06/30/2011 11:49:13 MDT Print View

Mike, that was truly beautiful! That's exactly why I go out in the wilderness and will continue to go as long as I can put one foot in front of another!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Ultralight Tip of the Week--#32 on 06/30/2011 12:10:11 MDT Print View

That's why I don't get 25 mile days on the trail--- too busy dodging rocks and roots to enjoy the scenery. Many of us live a hectic urban lifestyle and we need to leave that at home and take the time to enjoy the awesome-ness of the outdoors.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
flower on 06/30/2011 14:10:02 MDT Print View

you can it flower ... i call it UL salad ;)

Scott Engles
(scottbham) - M
Better yet, try this on 06/30/2011 17:47:26 MDT Print View

The flower technique is great. But instead of focusing on a flower, consider trying what a guy once did sitting under a tree in the forest a long time ago: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.010.than.html

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: flower on 07/01/2011 11:09:38 MDT Print View

>> you can it flower ... i call it UL salad ;)

some call it tp

kidding, only kidding - this tip is among my favorites

i've practiced this tip not only on a flower but on an insect and even fuzzy things growing on rotting wood. it's good for the soul

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Ultralight Tip of the Week on 07/01/2011 12:04:54 MDT Print View

I agree with Dale that getting out there away from the cares of everyday life and immersing oneself in the wild is far more important than mileage! That's why I hike what used to be called "banker's hours" (9-3) and generally end up doing 5-7 mile days. Of course my age has quite a bit to do with that, too! At least that's as good an excuse as any for spending more time enjoying my surroundings!

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
the present on 07/03/2011 04:22:02 MDT Print View

Loving post #32. Moments like that are definitely a big draw to the mountains. I try to take some time on each hike to just relax and let my imagination wonder around the landscape a bit--picturing geologic time at viewpoints etc.

People often associate moving fast with rushing, which somehow excludes it from the present. Its definitely possible to get carried away or preoccupied with mileage goals, but I find that moving fast can also be a point of connection to the present. If I can bring a loose awareness of hiking rhythm and propreaception, a greater awareness of the passing environment usually follows.

(I realize that the level of earnestness is fodder for trolls, but hey, we're not actually out there just to test gear are we? ;)

On that note: I think my gear-fectionism might be getting in the way of just plain old enjoying myself in the mountains. I just finished a section of the colorado trail where I found myself paying attention to things that I never would have thought twice about before, like if the swing weight of my trekking poles is too much, or what the perfect volume hipbelt pockets would be. Silly huh?

Not to hi-jack, but anyone else have this experience?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Re: the present on 07/03/2011 19:24:38 MDT Print View

"I think my gear-fectionism might be getting in the way of just plain old enjoying myself in the mountains...anyone else have this experience?"

Yup, but this will likely fade. For me it has. When you first go UL, the new gear is so neat/strange/exciting/worrying etc that it can draw a lot of your attention. This will fade though as your gear closet overhaul slows and you'll get back to just enjoying nature.

Edited by dandydan on 07/03/2011 19:25:44 MDT.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
Maybe bordering on obsession. on 07/03/2011 19:30:07 MDT Print View

I have that feeling *BEFORE* I head out into the mountains, and it can be sorta ridiculous at times. Maybe bordering on obsession.

But, I mellow out a LOT once I'm immersed in the wilderness.

At the same time, my mind is always ticking. I see new tricks, and realize how I want to tinker with gear and techniques. This mind-set isn't at all oppressive, it can be really nice. I try not to judge it, it's just the way my mind wants to tick along. And, I feel i do my very best 3D R&D along the trail.