Ultralight Tip of the Week
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Paladino
(dtpaladino) - F - MLife

Locale: Northern Rockies
Ultralight Tip of the Week on 04/21/2011 13:27:37 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Ultralight Tip of the Week

Addie's note: Since we'll use the same URL for the tip each week, the forums will simply carry over from one week to the next. If you want to quickly see which comments are new since you last checked in, simply click "Watch this thread" to get email updates when new comments are posted.

Edited by addiebedford on 04/28/2011 12:40:35 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
re on 04/21/2011 15:04:26 MDT Print View

Those are great tips

And great cartoons

Now I'm going to have to look forward to Thursdays asw ell as Tuesdays

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Ultralight Tip of the Week on 04/21/2011 16:03:05 MDT Print View

I also will be looking forward to Thursdays! Even though I disagree with MikeC on a few issues (we all know what one of them is), we are still coming from the same place (or at least where he probably will be 40 years down the road, hee hee).

I love the cartoons and his lighthearted approach! I also appreciate that these are free to all so we can refer beginners to them! Thanks to both MikeC and BPL!

Edited by hikinggranny on 04/21/2011 16:04:20 MDT.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
Ultralight Tip of the Week on 04/21/2011 20:18:27 MDT Print View

I will be looking forward to these tips each week, Mike. The cartoons are fantastic and the tips are great, too! Thanks so much.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
P.S. on 04/21/2011 20:19:20 MDT Print View

I can't wait to get my copy of your new book, Mike!

Michael Haubert
(SoCalMike) - F

Locale: So Cal
Tip 6 on 04/21/2011 22:12:21 MDT Print View

~6. Try something new every time you go camping

I dig it, Mike. I don't get out very often, but Tip 6 is something I take to heart. I think of each trip as an opportunity to experiment with a new idea--a different style of stove, a new packing method, different fire starting techniques, etc. Until you actually put that thought into a real outdoor experience, it's just a hypothesis; it still needs to be tested.

Looking forward to the book, Mike.

(Edited for brevity)

Edited by SoCalMike on 04/24/2011 22:05:07 MDT.

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Ultralight Tip of the Week on 04/22/2011 08:34:51 MDT Print View

Ordered the book 5 minutes ago. Thanks, Mike!

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Ultralight Tip of the Week on 04/22/2011 10:26:13 MDT Print View

Great tips and toons! I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of your book in a few days.

T.C. Cromie
(yogru) - F

Locale: Land of too much rain!
nice! on 04/22/2011 22:21:31 MDT Print View

Really enjoy reading these Mike C! I'll be looking forward to this, along with the rest, each week.

Guy Laden
(GL) - MLife
Ultralight Tip of the Week on 04/23/2011 15:47:09 MDT Print View

This is great stuff Mike! Is the book going to be available in any electronic format?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Plastic Bottle Ring on 04/23/2011 23:26:03 MDT Print View

Trimming that ring off of plastic bottles is genius. I wish I'd thought of this sooner.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Plastic Bottle Ring on 04/24/2011 05:53:17 MDT Print View

"Trimming that ring off of plastic bottles is genius."

The thing I love about the internet is that you can go online and see others who are as crazy as you, only now you are not alone and the crazy activity no longer seems crazy.

As I packed my PCT resupplies I used little 8 oz. water bottles. Of course, like any good ultralighter I removed the label. But I thought I took it a bit too far when I hid in the basement and removed all those little rings. (Luckily, the neighbors didn't see.) But now I know I'm normal!

If I bleach all my clothes will they weigh less? Hmmmm

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
the little plastic ring on the water bottle. on 04/24/2011 10:06:40 MDT Print View

Ha!

About the act of trimming off the little plastic ring on the water bottle.

Whew - I am deeply relieved that nobody is rolling their eyes - or at least addmiting it!

As I state in the text, it is less an act of weight savings (because it's so minimal) but more an act of mind-set.

Huge thanks for all the kind words!

peace from idaho,
Mike C!

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Plastic Bottle Ring on 04/24/2011 11:05:52 MDT Print View

"Trimming that ring off of plastic bottles is genius." ...
now I know I'm normal!

You've come to the wrong place if normality is what you crave!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Ultralight Tip of the Week on 04/24/2011 16:03:43 MDT Print View

Actually, trimming the plastic ring is not so much for weight-saving, but to make it easier to rinse the neck of the bottle, especially if you're using powdered drink mix. I get rid of the rings even at home because they inevitably work up into the threads for the cap, interfering with a proper closure.

John Coyle
(Bigsac)

Locale: NorCal
Ultralight on 04/25/2011 10:04:06 MDT Print View

One of my ultralight friends suggested getting a haircut and trimming my nails before a backpack. He almost had an aneurysm when I pulled out my GobSpark firesteel to light my Caldera Cone on a recent trip. The only thing I can beat him on is clothing. Having grown up in a colder climate, (Upstate N.Y. near the Canadian border vs California), I don't seem to require as much as him. Yes sometimes I do roll my eyes at fanatic ultra-lighters. But still, I'm glad you do what you do. It makes us all a little lighter, and that's not a bad thing

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: fantastic book!!! on 04/26/2011 11:44:51 MDT Print View

Exceeded my expectations. More comprehensive than I thought it would be.

Love the humour and cartoons mixed in with the valuable and comprehensive information specific to lightweight backpacking.

Tip 117 alone is worthy of a prestigious publishing awards. : )

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
Golly (i'm blushing) on 04/26/2011 17:38:38 MDT Print View

George - Do you wanna be my publicist?

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Locale: Texas
Re: Re: fantastic book!!! on 04/26/2011 20:37:00 MDT Print View

I just finished the book last night, and then thanks to this thread, watched Mike's "poo poo clinic": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmwxkD86Ec. Now I feel the need to read it again, only with Mike's animated voice in my head :-)

It's a thoroughly entertaining and helpful book! What struck me is how well a simplified cartoon can instruct. I've read pages and studied photographs here on BPL, but it was Mike C's pictorials that continued to deliver "ah-ha!" moments.

Great job!

john chong
(johnch) - F
fantastic book! on 04/27/2011 12:49:38 MDT Print View

Just read through this last night.

It really is a book of just tips that I think all ULers can learn from. For me the last couple of tips talking about PPPPD is great. I need to go back and read it thoroughly to understand it.

The illustrations are fantastic and informative.