Forum Index » GEAR » Neck Lanyard

Display Avatars Sort By:
John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Neck Lanyard on 11/09/2006 18:23:23 MST Print View

A different exercise:

What gear would you want accessible, without needing to get into your pack, in the situations below?

1. Survival situations (i.e., separation from pack, life-threatening trauma)

2. Convenience situations (i.e., photo op, hunger, signaling, navigation, water treatment)

Edited by jshann on 11/09/2006 18:25:47 MST.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Re: Re: Neck Lanyard on 11/09/2006 18:51:57 MST Print View

>> What gear would you want accessible, without needing to get into your pack, in the situations below?

Survival:

- Firestarting (esbit cube, magnesium firestarter, firestarting tinder like a tinder-quik tab)
- Navigation (map and compass)
- Signaling/Light (whistle, mirror, small LED light)
- Small tarp or poncho for rain protection

Convenience:

- map, compass, journal, pencil, camera
- water treatment chemicals, water bottle
- pocketknife, firestarter
- "chocolate, chips, and candy!"
- windshirt, wind pants, rain jacket, gloves, hat
- lip balm, bug dope, headnet, bear spray

These are the only items I usually access during the day while hiking. Unless I'm taking a one-compartment rucksack or wading a deep river, they always reside outside my pack on some configuration of lanyards, pockets, and external pack pockets.

Edited by ryan on 11/09/2006 18:52:19 MST.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
UL snakes and spiders on 11/09/2006 20:10:55 MST Print View

Don,
Thank you for the identification; the breadth of experience here at BPL always amazes me. I researched the rat snake and found it does live here in Japan, and throuought Asia. It comes in many patterns depending on its environment, and only has one lung!

I agree it was beautiful, but my female hiking companion chose a different word which translates to: "creating an unpleasant feeling in one's stomach" It seems we never see "cute" animals such as deer; only rats, snakes, and spiders.. such as this unknown species about 7cm in diameter, leg to leg. A small rain-forest type island called Sarushima in Tokyo bay was swarming with them. (I did not go off-trail even for a moment). Sorry to dwell off the UL topic, but can you or anyone identify it?unknown spider, Tokyo bay islandunknown spider underside, Tokyo bay island

Don Wilson
(don) - MLife

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska
Re: UL snakes and spiders on 11/09/2006 21:10:58 MST Print View

Wow, that's cool. I didn't realize you were in Japan. But yes, rat snakes are common throughout much of Asia. It's very unusual for a snake genus to have such a large range.

Sorry, don't recognize the spider. That sucker looks impressive.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Neck Lanyard on 11/09/2006 23:26:00 MST Print View

Ryan Jordan wrote: "What I'm trying to accomplish personally is to simplify my kit. I don't want all my minor essentials split between trekking poles, lanyard, pack straps, belt pouch, and pockets!"

I use a pouch that mounts on my shoulder strap for camera (Canon Digital Elph), GPS, and sunglasses/reading glasses.

What I call absolute essentials (knife, LED light, whistle, firestarting, backup compass and whistle) go on a lanyard looped around my belt and in my pants pocket.

All other essentials/survival items go in a 2 liter Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil stuff sack that is at the top of my pack. I keep my water treatment there too. I've tried tiny daypacks and fanny packs and the Ultra-Sil sack is light and compact. I could carry it or sling it on a strap bandolier-style if I needed to bug out.

Toilet and hygene items go in an Alocksak (to keep the TP dry) in the front pocket of my pack (GoLite Jam).

Maps go in a waterproof cover (if not laminated) and go in a side pocket. I tether the water proof cover to a daisy chain or compression strap.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Re: Re: Neck Lanyard on 11/10/2006 03:53:00 MST Print View

I wear trail cargo pants (some are convertibles, but i rarely wear shorts due to the prevalence of deer ticks in New England). My UL, low volume essentials/emergency survival kit is easily contained in the 8 or 9 pockets (depending upon the pants being worn), and the compass and whistle hanging fr/my pack's sternum strap is easily detached and stowed in a pocket if i leave camp w/o my pack.

Siegmund Beimfohr
(SigBeimfohr) - M
Re: Neck Lanyard on 11/10/2006 12:06:05 MST Print View

I virtually all the time wear a neck knife (Benchmade Tether knife). Total weight with lanyard is 61 grams.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=160

When hiking I add a Photon freedom microlight (white or tourquois night vision green). Beyond that I keep things in a pocket with a fine cord lanyard securing some items to belt or pants loop.

The lanyard came with the knife. It is a break-away design consisting of a round, tightly-woven ~5/32" dia. hiking-style 28" shoelace. The ~9/64" dia. ends are pushed into a 1 1/2" length of clear plastic tubing (PVC?) with a 1/8" ID (~7/32 OD). This holds very securely but will quickly come apart if snagged and pulled hard; no danger of choking. The beauty is that if pulled apart nothing breaks; just stick the end back into the tubing. Also, the way I thread the cord through the lanyard (I add the light at the lanyard where it is contained), it is very unlikely that any individual item will separate from the lanyard; you won't loose anything (except the whole works over a cliff!).

These are very easy to make. Any desired shoelace will work; just find a piece of plastic tubing (hardware store, hobby shop, etc.) that has an ID that will provide a sufficient friction fit to the lace ends and you're in business. I even considered spraying the lace with a DWR treatment to minimize sweat absorption but that really hasn't been much of an issue.

J R
(RavenUL) - F
Re: Re: Neck Lanyard on 11/10/2006 12:39:54 MST Print View

On neck lanyard:

knife
micro compass
micro flashlight
spark-lite
SPF-20 chapstick

Reginald Donaldson
(worth) - MLife

Locale: Wind River Range
Ranger Rick SOS Necklace on 11/11/2006 16:44:47 MST Print View

I wear a modified version of the Ranger Rick SOS Necklace:
http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips___Tricks/Necklace/body_necklace.htm

It consists of:
wire saw inside a flexible plastic hose
small compass
flint
dog tag sharpen on one edge (id & knife)
whistle w/ fishing line & hooks
photon light
small clock

Edited by worth on 11/11/2006 16:53:27 MST.

Joshua Burt
(idroptapul)

Locale: The Smokies
Off topic: Asian Spider on 11/13/2006 01:30:33 MST Print View

Brett,
I've never worn one on a lanyard, but we've got those guys here in eastern China as well. I'm teaching Biology grad students tomorrow, should be able to get an id from one of them. I'll let you know.

Edited by idroptapul on 11/13/2006 01:32:02 MST.

David Schlewitz
(SunnyWalker)
Neck Lanyard on 04/15/2012 21:22:35 MDT Print View

The only thing on my neck is a neck knife-Becker Necker. My compass is in my shorts pocket. GPS unit is in my belt pocket that is on the backpack. I always know where my knife is and it is quick and easy to get to it.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Neck Lanyard on 04/15/2012 21:39:09 MDT Print View

I keep a Group Health Card (my medical coverage) around my neck 24/7 at home and when hiking. It tells them who I am and who they should call in a medical emergency.

I also carry a car key around my neck. It has the big part cut off but will open my car door if I lose my key. I have a hide-a-key attached to the car but I would much rather use the one around my neck than the one hidden under the car.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Neck Lanyard on 04/15/2012 21:47:43 MDT Print View

No lanyard for me. I keep all that kind of stuff in my OR Possum Pocket(long discontinued) on my shoulder strap.
Love these long dead threads brought back to life. Some great posters that we don't see anymore.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Not me, but... on 04/15/2012 22:01:11 MDT Print View

I met a thru-hiker on the Pacific Crest Trail once who had his map (in a plastic sleeve) hanging around his neck. It behaved just as you might expect--dangled around, flapped in the breeze. I'm sure it was handy, but it would drive me batty.