>> What gear would you want accessible, without needing to get into your pack, in the situations below?
- Firestarting (esbit cube, magnesium firestarter, firestarting tinder like a tinder-quik tab)
- Navigation (map and compass)
- Signaling/Light (whistle, mirror, small LED light)
- Small tarp or poncho for rain protection
- map, compass, journal, pencil, camera
- water treatment chemicals, water bottle
- pocketknife, firestarter
- "chocolate, chips, and candy!"
- windshirt, wind pants, rain jacket, gloves, hat
- lip balm, bug dope, headnet, bear spray
These are the only items I usually access during the day while hiking. Unless I'm taking a one-compartment rucksack or wading a deep river, they always reside outside my pack on some configuration of lanyards, pockets, and external pack pockets.