This has been an interesting exercise. I'll try to summarize where we're at:
1. Where do you keep essentials handy?
- Trekking Pole
- Belt (Pouch)
- Pack Strap (Pouch or Clip)
2. What essentials do you keep handy?
- Sun balm
- LED light
- Bug dope
- Water treatment chemicals (my addition)
Obviously all of these cannot be worn around your neck at once!
What I'm trying to accomplish personally is to simplify my kit. I don't want all my minor essentials split between trekking poles, lanyard, pack straps, belt pouch, and pockets!
So, I'm asking myself, what do I want accessible while hiking, and what do I want accessible while camping:
- camera, compass, lip balm, bug dope, water treatment, whistle, LED light, pocketknife
- camera, lip balm, bug dope, water treatment, firestarter, LED light, whistle, pocketknife
Note the crossover here:
Camping & Hiking:
- camera, lip balm, bug dope, water treatment, whistle, LED light, pocketknife
- compass, whistle, light, knife, firestarter
I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, just sort of analyzing out loud!