Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
cuben fiber hammocks
Display Avatars Sort By:
rick mccoll
(rgmccoll) - F

Locale: East Tennessee
cuben fiber hammocks on 04/20/2011 13:15:57 MDT Print View

Aside from the cost, why are not more hammocks made from this material?

I am aware of a least one failure; but reading the report, it seems to be a solvable issue.

Chris Peichel
(momo)

Locale: Eureka
cuben fiber hammocks on 04/20/2011 13:27:38 MDT Print View

I personally would not want to sleep in a non-breathable hammock. When it is warm you would end up with a wet back. This is the reason I ended up making an underquilt. Sleeping on a foam pad with a 60* night low temp, I ended up chilled in the am from the puddles of sweat trapped in the z-lite valleys.

And...from seeing postings on the testing done on cuben fiber seams and attachment points, it appears that when cuben reaches it limit it fails completely. Nylon has a lot more give.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Cuben on 04/20/2011 16:42:39 MDT Print View

I made a channeled hammock out of .74 oz cuben fiber and Amsteel a few mos ago. First tried gathered ends just for simplicity and the cuben wanted to tear in/near the gather. I've only used it a couple times so far, no issues yet. It has held me fine - 6'4" 205lbs. Although every time I'm in it I expect it to let me fall right through. lol...If you're under 200lbs I think you will be fine honestly.

Ryan

rick mccoll
(rgmccoll) - F

Locale: East Tennessee
moisture on 04/20/2011 18:23:30 MDT Print View

Ryan,
did you experience any moisture problems, as anticipated by Chris?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Cuben on 04/20/2011 18:31:18 MDT Print View

I vaguely remember someone here experimenting with cuben for hammock material, and finding that it just didn't hold up well for a reason I can't remember.

Of course, I could be going crazy....

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Cuben on 04/20/2011 18:40:26 MDT Print View

"I vaguely remember someone here experimenting with cuben for hammock material, and finding that it just didn't hold up well for a reason I can't remember. ... Of course, I could be going crazy...."

I think you're going

c

r

a

z

y......

Edited by idester on 04/20/2011 18:42:39 MDT.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Cuben Fiber Hammock on 04/20/2011 19:42:16 MDT Print View

If you check the date of this thread you will see that my Cuben Hammock is 4 years old. I have used it a lot over the years and have not had a problem with it.

When I made it I was after the lightest weight gear list I could make. Cuben Fiber was used for as many items as I could design.

I weigh about 150 with no cloths on so weight was not a very big problem for me. The Cuben I used was 0.47 ounces per sq yard.

Cuben Hammock Thread

I only had 10 seconds to get into my hammock before my camera took the picture. I can get down lower into the hammock but didn't have time to for this picture.

Edited by bfornshell on 04/20/2011 23:56:51 MDT.

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
Of on 04/20/2011 20:10:21 MDT Print View

course, I could be going crazy....''

That happens to me alot, now where did i put that bolt i just had,,

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: moisture on 04/20/2011 20:11:58 MDT Print View

Rick,

No moisture issues yet. My opinion is that it wont be as bad as many people think.

Ryan

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
cuben fiber hammocks on 04/20/2011 20:29:19 MDT Print View

IIRC Lawson was going to make cuben hammocks.
One puncture under load cause catastrophic failure.
He decided not to sell them commercially.