Forum Index » GEAR » Quilt Advice Sought

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
Lucky!! on 04/20/2011 19:00:13 MDT Print View

You are lucky to snag the Ultra 20 for $150. I bought one about 5 months ago and it is great. I actually cut into mine and added 2 ounces of down. You don't see many for sale these days. If you like it and are interested in something custom, give Javan Dempsey a shot. Good score!

Derek Kind
(berethorn)
GoLite Ultra 20 on 04/25/2011 21:20:41 MDT Print View

Rather than create a new thread...

What's the difference between the old GoLite Ultra 20 and the new UltraLite 20? The new one seems to be 5 oz heavier, according the GoLite's site! Are the dimensions smaller?

I have almost the exact same need as the OP, although I would like my quilt to go down to 20*F. In case I see the old Ultra on Gear Swap I'd love to know the difference. :)

David LaRue
(Phaedrus) - F

Locale: Chicagoland
Difference between older GL20 and new one: on 04/25/2011 21:33:41 MDT Print View

I have the new 2010 GL Ultra20, and when I compared the older version and the newer, these are the differences I saw: More down and loft in the new model plus recycled materials. I think the recycled materials is probably where half the weight gain came from.

I have had mine down to 20 on a Big Agnes insulated air core mummy. I have since added a Exped Synmat UL7 which I think will make a better sleep system (rectangle, nearly the same R value, and a lot lighter)I was getting drafts near my shoulders with the the mummy shaped pad.

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
GoLite Ultra20 on 04/25/2011 21:36:09 MDT Print View

According to GoLite and Moosejaw, for a size regular, the old Ultra 20 has 9.5 oz of 800+ fill and the new one has 11.8 oz of fill (old quilt: http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=SS7500). That would account for almost half the weight increase. The other extra weight must come from a difference in materials (as said above).

Derek Kind
(berethorn)
GL Ultra on 04/25/2011 22:16:47 MDT Print View

That's comforting, I've heard a lot of people say the Ultra 20 didn't go down to 20 very well. I'm thinking of getting an Exped Downmat or that IAC before I take any bag down to 20. And if the new quilt is warmer from the extra fill, well, that's all to the better. :)

I'm only 5'9", but do you think there's any point getting a size large, so it covers more of the head and has extra width to wrap around? It's "only" 3 oz heavier.

Scott H.
(handyman439) - F
r4.8 pad on 04/25/2011 22:30:30 MDT Print View

What is the R4.8 Pad?