(markrvp) - M

Locale: North Texas
Solar charger on 04/19/2011 14:18:02 MDT Print View

It just needs a solar panel to recharge the batteries

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Backpacking Light will be irrelevant! on 04/19/2011 14:56:48 MDT Print View

If it means (among other things) that the handicapped can enjoy hiking the outdoors -- that's a good thing, right?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Backpacking Light will be irrelevant! on 04/19/2011 15:09:43 MDT Print View

"If it means (among other things) that the handicapped can enjoy hiking the outdoors -- that's a good thing, right?"

They've developed a product called 'eLegs' for just that purpose. Very cool.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Backpacking Light will be irrelevant! on 04/19/2011 15:22:19 MDT Print View

Prosthetics are outrageous, I can't imagine what eLegs cost.

Rob Vandiver
(ShortBus) - M

Im not going to lie... on 04/19/2011 15:45:22 MDT Print View

I want one. I also want a couple of .50 cals somehow mounted to it.

Mike W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Cool technology on 04/19/2011 16:30:41 MDT Print View

I actually think this is very cool technology but I do wonder how practical it will be in real world scenarios. What kind of terrain can you negotiate? Does it have gyros to keep the load centered as you go up a steep incline? How would someone negotiate a water crossing? Great technology nonetheless.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Backpacking Light will be irrelevant! on 04/19/2011 16:36:19 MDT Print View

Prosthetics are outrageous, I can't imagine what eLegs cost.

---------
Berkeley Bionics reveals eLEGS exoskeleton, aims to help paraplegics walk in 2011

Update: We just got to see the eLEGS walk across stage, and you'll find a gallery full of close-up pics immediately below. We also spoke to Berkeley Bionics CEO Eythor Bender, who detailed the system a bit more -- it's presently made of steel and carbon fiber with lithium-ion battery packs, weighs 45 pounds, and has enough juice to run for six hours of continuous walking. While he wouldn't give us an exact price, he said they're shooting for $100,000, and will be "very competitive" with other devices on the market. Following clinical trials, the exoskeleton will be available to select medical centers in July or August, though Bender also said the company's also working on a streamlined commercial version for all-day use, tentatively slated for 2013.

Full text:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/07/berkeley-bionics-reveals-elegs-exoskeleton-aims-to-help-paraple/

Martha S.
(kitfox) - F
Hmmmmm. on 04/19/2011 16:49:15 MDT Print View

Nice, I guess, but shouldn't every piece of gear have multiple uses?

Call me back when it's been re-designed to support my hammock overnight and brew me a latte in the morning. ;-)

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F

Locale: Northern Utah
Packgoats on 04/19/2011 17:04:11 MDT Print View

I'll stick with my packgoats!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Backpacking Light will be irrelevant! on 04/19/2011 21:32:06 MDT Print View

>If it means (among other things) that the handicapped can enjoy hiking the outdoors -- that's a good thing, right?

Yes. I do think that this might be a wonderful thing for certain handicapped people. My snarky "Oh God" comment was in response to my mental image of healthy people turning into Robocop out in the backcountry, hiking literally with the kitchen sink because they can now carry 1,067,896 pounds and not "feel" it.

Rob Vandiver
(ShortBus) - M

Robo legs on 04/20/2011 11:44:56 MDT Print View

It's not cool unless you are walking your robo dog .

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Exoskeleton on 04/20/2011 11:45:00 MDT Print View

I sure hope those are titanium =)

Seriously, though, this truly is phenomenal! As opposed to military, my first thoughts are focused more on addressing the psychological aspects of recreation-- allowing those with mobility impairments more readily available access to the outdoors, as mentioned earlier. Some of the main focus questions of my Wildland Recreation classes are: Why do we recreate? Who can recreate? Why should there be physical barriers to certain areas of recreation? Should physical ability be a limiting component of recreational access? etc.

-Clint