Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: MYOG: eVent Rain/Wind Jacket on 04/19/2011 20:06:14 MDT Print View

Nice job.

Brad

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
I like it on 04/20/2011 10:24:39 MDT Print View

It looks like a good design, well ventilated and good coverage.

Kathy Hoffman
(basecampbound)

Locale: Foothills of San Gabriel Mtns.
Nice Job on 04/20/2011 10:25:16 MDT Print View

Good attention to detail, and seems easily modifiable. Thanks.

Mike Hinsley
(ArchNemesis)

Locale: England, UK
Really Nice plus some suggestions on 04/20/2011 11:38:03 MDT Print View

Really loved your attention to detail especially on the seam finishing front.

A couple of suggestions for anyone who wants to try this.

1. Your local Habedashery/Fabric shop will have lots of sewing patterns for jackets in various styles. If you've not done a lot of sewing it might be worth spending a few bucks on a pattern in your size so that you don't have to worry about the pattern stuff. Some of the sewing patterns are quite sophisticated and I often find it simpler to use a commercial pattern than one I've drawn. (I sew a lot)

2. It is possible to buy seam tape for iron-on nylon and Gore-Tex ( I think this will bond to E-vent). Many of the u/l fabric suppliers will carry these things. The stuff needs care in application but can produce a neat 100% waterproof seam. Failing that the fold and sew technique shown above will work well.

P.S. It's always worth spending a few bucks on some cheap fabric and sewing up a test garment - just sleeves and body - to check sizing. It will add 1-2 hrs to construction time but it's worth doing when fabric is going to be expensive. Ideally fabric should be of similar type so consider 2oz PU Nylon (which doesn't stretch) as your test fabric instead of cotton (which will stretch a little)

Edited by ArchNemesis on 04/20/2011 11:40:32 MDT.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
MYOG eVent Rain/Wind Jacket on 04/21/2011 11:45:47 MDT Print View

I inherited my mother's sewing machine and I should start learning to use it! Looking at the escalating prices of ready-made high-tech-fabric clothing, making it oneself is a whole lot cheaper!

I am constantly amazed at the new fabrics. I started backpacing in the mid '70s. I remember "60/40" cloth as the new miracle fabric of that time. It was 60% cotton, 40% nylon. Does anyone else remember those 60/40 "mountain parkas"?

I still have my copy of William Kemsley's "Backpacking Equipment Buyer's Guide" - a Consumers Report-style guide to all backpacking equipment - tents, clothing, sleeping bags, stoves, you name it. It's an amazing piece of backpacking history. When you look through those pages and then look at today's incredible equipment you can see how far we have come.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

P.S. on 04/21/2011 11:48:44 MDT Print View

Great article, Jerry! I love the details. The jacket is great. Like I said, I should start learning to use my mom's sewing machine and try to get my sewing skills up to the point where I could make this jacket, maybe rain pants and hiking pants, too. Thanks for sharing!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Great article on 04/22/2011 20:21:30 MDT Print View

Hi Jerry

Great article. Simple design.
The waist belt - I've never done that, but it does look as though it stops the wind from blowing up inside. Neat idea.

I enjoyed your comments about the commercial street gear with the emphasis on style rather than function. It's a problem.

Cheers
PS to Kathy - '60/40' - blimey, that was a long time ago!

Edited by rcaffin on 04/22/2011 20:21:59 MDT.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

MYOG: eVent Rain/Wind Jacket on 04/24/2011 21:38:54 MDT Print View

Roger - I started backpacking in 1978. It definitely feels like a long time ago; kind of like looking back on the Pleistocene Era! LOL

Nate Lee
(nathan52) - MLife
worth it on 04/26/2011 20:41:58 MDT Print View

this is why i've paid to be a member, well done yo, thanks for sharing!