Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
C3 disappointment
Display Avatars Sort By:
ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
C3 disappointment on 04/19/2011 10:24:38 MDT Print View

OK what have you guys been smoking around here? Got some seamstick C3 from sailrite, has less stick than the other stuff i've been using, wont' even pulloff the mylar.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: C3 disappointment on 04/19/2011 19:03:54 MDT Print View

Ziff,
I actually talked with Tim Marshall about this last week. I have no real reason why it works well for me other than I heat and press it after bonding. However, I think he has had the same issues as you.

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
thanks on 04/19/2011 20:15:54 MDT Print View

Steven, i'll try that. good thing i've got two u09 coming. Tape will be ok for temp mock up.

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
tink- on 04/20/2011 16:34:11 MDT Print View

oops, hear that, dropped a pin.
Turned out ok , sea sock, just need to glue the seams. Heat seems to help, i'll see how it ages but its hard even to get the backing off with pulling the adhesive.

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)
Re: tink- on 04/20/2011 16:42:38 MDT Print View

Nice sea sock! You need to come down and visit Corey in Anacortes one of these days....

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
heat on 04/20/2011 16:48:05 MDT Print View

Steven, Ziff-- how are you guys applying heat to the seams? Thanks

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Re: tink- on 04/20/2011 17:00:30 MDT Print View

What are your thoughts on cinching it around the coaming? I've seen multiple ideas thrown around, curious where you might be headed... (I can see from the pictures that your mockup is using a simple cinch line --which might be the most effective -- but I was just curious if you've thought otherwise)

I should really make a "mock" sea sock before I skin my Baidarka... getting the right fit will be MUCH easier... Hmm... you've added one more thing for me think about (as if building my kayak wasn't enough) haha.

Cheers.

Edited by sheepNgeese on 04/20/2011 17:07:31 MDT.

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
Konrad, on 04/20/2011 20:05:49 MDT Print View

Used an iron on '3' setting, but i wouldnt get too excited about it, helps a little, but you can still pull it apart to correct your mistakes.
Tyson,
never gave it much thought, i know it has to be tight enough so that when you pull the thing out full of water it stays put. I've got a tight space[ good depth] in the channel under the combing, got leave room for a spray skirt. I'm using 1/8 shock cord at the momment, may not be strong enough, what were you thinking?

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Thoughts on 04/21/2011 09:15:43 MDT Print View

I'm not sure myself -- I'd want to test different methods. Few resources I've read:

http://www.qajaqusa.org/newsletter/Masik_Summer2003_07034.pdf

http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl?page=1;md=read;id=608575

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
so on 04/21/2011 20:08:25 MDT Print View

thats how you make them! interesting article, concur about the fabric tests, they seem to loosen up when wet.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
ZIFF on 04/23/2011 01:59:04 MDT Print View

ziff, Pls contact me at huzefasid@gmail.com. I would like to have a chat with you regarding "sailrite super seam tape". cheers, Huzefa