Forum Index » GEAR » Which H51 headlamp?

Display Avatars Sort By:
S Long
(Izeloz) - M

Locale: Wasatch
Which H51 headlamp? on 04/18/2011 13:22:37 MDT Print View

Which H51 headlamp should I get for an all-around headlamp? The FW, the W, the F, the regular H51? Can anyone tell me pros and cons, differences? What's the real difference between the floody and the regular, the white and the neutral? What would be best for a general use backpacking headlamp? Thanks for any input.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Which H51 headlamp? on 04/18/2011 13:29:24 MDT Print View

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_20&zenid=0874f4d0493fb83648e566a981c2533e

He has video reviews for the different zebra lights showing and describing each.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Which H51 headlamp? on 04/18/2011 13:37:57 MDT Print View

I've got the regular H51 and I love it. I can't compare to the other ones, but it has great throw and will light up practically your entire field of view with its flood. Some prefer the softer "natural" light, but I found that the regular H51 puts out good-looking illumination. The different brightness settings will work well for just about any application.

These little lights are just fantastic.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Which H51 headlamp? on 04/18/2011 14:06:27 MDT Print View

Some people prefer the neutral color if they're doing work that requires accurate color rendition, like medics. I would prefer something with a hot spot for hiking, and then some flood for reading. The regular H51 would be my choice since color accuracy isn't a big deal for me.

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
H51w on 04/18/2011 14:41:07 MDT Print View

Suffix codes:
none = standard beam profile with a hotspot for throw and seeing into the distance and a fairly wide spill for wide angle vision at close range. IMO the most versatile beam profile as it enables you to night hike and do camp tasks easily. The led has a cool white tint (6100K) so blues and whites appear bright but more earthy colours appear somewhat washed out. It also tends to highlight water vapour/drops.

F = even flood 80 degree beam i.e. there's no hotspot and light appears evenly spread throughout the beam. Best for task/camp lighting, although could use it for night hiking along good trails.

w = neutral white (4200K) some people including myself find that a neutral white led provides better colour rendition for the greens and browns and grays that you typically see when in the outdoors. I find it better for hiking in clouds/mist/fog etc.

All in all I chose the H51w. For the two weekend trips I've had it for (6 hrs night hiking on rough tracks in New Zealand bush and camp tasks such as cooking, reading, and pitching tents) it is easily the best headlamp I've ever had.

Edited by nzbazza on 04/18/2011 14:43:09 MDT.

T kawa
(kitsune) - F
Re: Which H51 headlamp? on 04/18/2011 15:14:12 MDT Print View

I got the neutral.... kinda wonder how much brighter the normal would be now... I have a problem with buyers remorse=) However, my light is freaking sweet! I love it, the three settings (6-7 whatever) are great and make the light useful in many situations, the hot spot (on high) is good for seeing a long distance and the flood is good enough for hiking at night. It's just beautiful. I haven't done a test, but my rechargable duracels didn't go out after 2 night hikes and plenty of use around the house... I just recently charged the battery just in case. so I'd say get the neutral or the regular, I've heard many ppl say that the differnce in output between the two is minimal and almost undetectable.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Which H51 headlamp? on 04/18/2011 15:41:08 MDT Print View

I got the neutral.... kinda wonder how much brighter the normal would be now...

28 lumens. ;)

Dylan Skola
(phageghost) - F

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Which H51 headlamp? on 04/29/2011 12:19:55 MDT Print View

28 lumens difference on high should be roughly 1/5 of an f-stop. That would qualify as barely noticeable in my book.

I just received my H51w last night and it's definitely one sweet little light. Like everyone has said before, it's floody enough for task lighting but with a decent throw from the hotspot on high, and the light levels seem well spaced.

I was slightly worried that the neutral version would be too yellow but it's actually quite neutral and perfect in my book. Not the cold blue typical of white LEDs and not the sickly orange of incandescents, but juuuuust right. Decent UI too.

Oh, and the beam pattern is immaculate. No rings or irregularities of any kind.

Can't wait to take it on the trail . . .

Edited by phageghost on 04/29/2011 12:24:51 MDT.

Justin R
(5150Bronco) - F

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.
h51w on 05/03/2011 00:37:29 MDT Print View

great info guys. So, the 51w has throw and floody ability?

that is good and what I am looking for. This one is made in usa?