Forum Index » GEAR » Cricket has arrived

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Re: Re: Up to date on 04/18/2011 20:19:05 MDT Print View

Increasing the pole height to around 140cm really cleaned things up a lot. Ron gave me a few more ideas on the stakes/distance to clean up the back. Will try those tomorrow.

Storm mode will be another set of adjustments. Seems to be a little more work to dial in, but this should become second nature after using awhile.

Brad

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Up to date on 04/18/2011 20:28:46 MDT Print View

I'll work on storm mode tomorrow and post some pictures.

Brad

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Up to date on 04/18/2011 20:42:14 MDT Print View

Nice looking tent

It seems like it would hold up less well in heavy wind, when it blows into the open side?

My neighbors make comments to me about setting up tents in my front yard too.

Stuart Burke
(burkest) - F

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness
Re: Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 21:45:26 MDT Print View

Brad,

Is the pitch less sensitive to pole height if you were not using the inner net tent? I am thinking of getting a solo trailstar to use with a bivy and I have Tigoat poles that only extend to 130 cm.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Re: Re: Cricket has arrived on 04/19/2011 07:02:00 MDT Print View

Stuart,
I don't think the innernet really effects the pitch that much. Your 130 would work fine with either a rock or pole jack. In my test I used a 135 with a couple wood slats and it worked fine.

Ron is probably a better source for commenting on this.

Brad

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Locale: Southeast
Linelocs on 04/19/2011 07:04:55 MDT Print View

Anyone know why the Cuben .55 version does not come with linelocs? I am assuming it has an increased risk of tearing with tension, but I would not think it would be THAT fragile?

Russell Jacobie
(flyer4food) - F

Locale: Sierras
Nice tent on 04/19/2011 07:09:32 MDT Print View

Have you tried the Gatewood Cape?
Innernet 8oz $120
Tent/Cape 11oz $135

So at 19oz and 255, it's $40 less and you get a Poncho. Looks like a pretty similar setup except you don't get the porch, still, I like the poncho option. Now I have a new tent to add to my list of maybes.

BTW I just got the tarptent contrail.. it's OK, but not as versatile as I'd like.

Russell Jacobie
(flyer4food) - F

Locale: Sierras
Setup between 1 hour and 55 seconds on 04/19/2011 07:16:43 MDT Print View

Just to add Mountail Laurel designs lists this as setup time:

" Set up of the fly or the whole tent is easily under 2min after a little practice. I've done it in 55 sec."

That's sounds pretty optimistic, especially if you're looking for a nice tight setup.

Just curious does it have a door? Wind/rain combo would blow right under that vestibule overhang.

Philip Delvoie
(PhilipD) - MLife

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Linelocs on 04/19/2011 07:17:04 MDT Print View

"Anyone know why the Cuben .55 version does not come with linelocs? I am assuming it has an increased risk of tearing with tension, but I would not think it would be THAT fragile?"

Rob,
I think the idea is simply weight savings. If you are looking for the lighter weight cuben Ron is assuming you will want to reduce weight as much as possible. I am sure he would add them on if you wanted it. I know on most of his shelters he does say in the description that you can cut the linelocks off in order to save additional weight.

Edited by PhilipD on 04/19/2011 07:17:48 MDT.

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Re: Linelocs on 04/19/2011 07:25:38 MDT Print View

"Anyone know why the Cuben .55 version does not come with linelocs? I am assuming it has an increased risk of tearing with tension, but I would not think it would be THAT fragile?"

Ahh! That would make sense. Thanks

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
MLD Cricket Tent on 04/19/2011 07:28:37 MDT Print View

Thanks Brad for the info and feedback.

We are updating the set up instructions to make it easier based on Brad's great feedback. After a couple of set ups it should all go up in about two minutes. The inner can be left attached to the outter. The inital set up is slower since you need to attach the inner the first time and figure out your pole lengths- like te first time pitching a tarp.

The .55 version can have cordlocks but we were guessing users for that super light weight version would be cutting them off anyway. We included the mini linelock kit for that version.

The Cricket and Solo Trailstar are crossover LW shelters, a lot more protectiom than a tarp and more of an open experience than a closed tent. It's also modular and versatile. It's a trade off...users who need more protection of a fully closed shelter should go for the SoloMid or DuoMid. The front overhang is enough to stop most all rain and the windscreen lower solid panel on the InnerNet should stop any small amount of blown or bounced rain that get underneath, of course capsite selection is key just like with a tarp.

I will try to make a set up video this week.

Edited by mountainlaureldesigns on 04/19/2011 07:31:10 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
solo trailstar on 04/19/2011 08:15:07 MDT Print View

mine arrived, with 7" of fresh snow on the ground I'll probably wait a bit to set it up, looking forward to seeing Ron's video to shorten my learning curve :)

also can Ron or Brad comment on suggested guy lengths?

tia

Mike

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Video on 04/19/2011 08:18:24 MDT Print View

Can we see storm mode in the video too? Last thing I want to see before clicking the buy button.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Storm mode setup on 04/19/2011 18:33:42 MDT Print View

Got the setup down and ready to seam seal tomorrow. Passed all the at home test and is ready for the field. I've done a 180 in the last 24 hours. Thanks for all the help Ron.

Pictures of storm mode.storm mode 1Storm mode 2Storm mode 3

Brad

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Wow on 04/19/2011 18:37:02 MDT Print View

Wow, looking good Brad! Looks like there should be plenty of coverage in storm mode. Now to decide between this and a Hexamid!

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Re: Wow on 04/19/2011 18:46:33 MDT Print View

Going from normal to storm mode was real fast.

- Main pole inside. Just move to one side
- Front pole. Adjusted the length shorter and reattached. Tightened line.
- Shortened all the corner guylines and back guyline. Tightened line.
- Minor tweaking. IE, adjusted inside pole by sliding to make a little taller. Tightened things up nice.

30-60 seconds.

Brad

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Cricket on 04/19/2011 18:50:17 MDT Print View

Thanks for the pics Brad.

Still not low enough for me for 'storm mode.' Nuts.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Storm mode setup on 04/19/2011 19:02:13 MDT Print View

Nice looking pitch Brad, I can't wait to hear your field report.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Re: Cricket on 04/19/2011 19:05:35 MDT Print View

David,

You might be able to go lower, but I didn't try. IMHO it would take a horizontal rain to get inside at that height. If you go much lower you will need to crawl on your belly to enter and exit the shelter (well at least I would. Not known for my limbo skills).

The test trip will most likely be in the Mt Rogers area next week/weekend. Long range forecast is showing one day with .8 inches of rain. It's usually windy on the open ridges, so could be a good test case.

Brad

Terri Wright
(ncalcamper) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Inside Pics? on 04/19/2011 19:10:11 MDT Print View

Thanks for posting pictures and your observations, Brad. I'm trying to decide between the GG One and the Cricket, can you post some pictures and provide any comments that might help in making this decision? THANK YOU!