Forum Index » GEAR » Cricket has arrived

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 12:19:10 MDT Print View

Too bad I have to sit here and stare at the package until after work...MLD Cricket

Brad

Ryan W
(mwilks) - F
Re: Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 12:37:41 MDT Print View

Work? Hmmm... I spy a Mountain Gear catalog on that desk! :)

Congrats on the Cricket, share some pics when you are able.

Edited by mwilks on 04/18/2011 12:40:27 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 12:40:25 MDT Print View

"Too bad I have to sit here and stare at the package until after work..."

While the rest of us sit and stare at it until ours arrives.

You've got a mean streak, don't you....... ;-)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 12:44:21 MDT Print View

Brad - don't you take lunch? I see grass out that window. Get to it.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Re: Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 13:19:59 MDT Print View

It came during lunch. However it is sunny and 80 degrees today, so it will go up later today.

Brad

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Re: Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 13:49:58 MDT Print View

What version did you go with? I would love to hear how much room you have inside.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Re: Re: Re: Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 14:08:58 MDT Print View

Yellow silnylon.

Brad

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: 10T 524631m E 5034446m N
Re: Re: Re: Re: Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 14:11:51 MDT Print View

Ron should include a free doctor's note with every order.

Scott H.
(handyman439) - F
beak hight on 04/18/2011 14:17:21 MDT Print View

Would love to see a picture of the beak pitched low!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 15:33:50 MDT Print View

>Ron should include a free doctor's note with every order.

LOL

David Passey
(davidpassey) - F - M

Locale: New York City
Re: beak hight on 04/18/2011 18:01:33 MDT Print View

Likewise. The beak height is a determining factor me, and I can't get a sense of it from the MLD website.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Cricket First Impressions on 04/18/2011 18:02:49 MDT Print View

Just my humble opinion, so keep that in mind. I'm also no expert, so keep that in mind.

My first impression is I really don't like the shelter. MLD Cricket Yellow Silnylon Comments:

1. One of the corner linelocs is a smaller size, so the guyline will not fit through it. Had to use triptease on that corner. However that really doesn't weigh into my opinion, just frustrating.
2. Ask for the pole jacks, but weren't in the package. Again no big deal had some other poles to test with.
3. The setup is just awful. Spent at least a hour playing with adjustments, restaking, making sure corners were 90 degrees, etc. Just never got real tight or looked stable. Would have had serious wind deflection.
4. The entry and exit was good. The porch would have been nice in bad weather for cooking, etc.
5. The inner pole seemed to be a little in the way.
6. The inner net was an improvement over earlier versions
7. The yellow color seemed to attract a ton of bugs. Maybe just time of day

I'm sure after working with it awhile I could improve my setup time, but I'm doubting whether it will ever be real stable. The geometry just doesn't look very good IMHO. Again no expert. Could be all user error.

However when I compare to how easy the Gossamer Gear One and the MLD Solomid are to setup, I just can't imagine dealing with this after a long day of hiking. I'm going to sleep on it and see what others have to say. Maybe give it another try. Probably going back.

Now I'm really bummed.

Brad

Heath Pitts
(heathpitts) - F

Locale: Nashville
Solo Trailstar on 04/18/2011 18:21:54 MDT Print View

That's very disheartening! I was really wanting to be able to use this as a different version of the SoloMid and/or as a lighter version of the Trailstar. It just seemed like that it would be as easy as a SoloMid to setup. Thanks for the initial review

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Re: Solo Trailstar on 04/18/2011 19:08:08 MDT Print View

In great customer service fashion, Ron has already emailed and offered some suggestions. Going to try a couple things tomorrow and see if we can make this easier. I really want this shelter to work. Has a lot of positives.

Brad

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Locale: Southeast
Up to date on 04/18/2011 19:16:14 MDT Print View

Keep us up to date with what you find out! Trying to decide between trying this out and a Hexamid (or maybe The ONE?)

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Re: Up to date on 04/18/2011 20:00:48 MDT Print View

Increased the height of the main pole this time around and improved the pitch. Getting better. Really impressed with the room this shelter has and I could easily cook inside during bad weather. Also everything should stay dry on entry and exit. Haven't pitch in storm mode yet.

Still having this problem on the side along the back panel. Just doesn't seem to get tight enough and actually looks like it is sagging a little.cricket

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Up to date on 04/18/2011 20:03:23 MDT Print View

I don't know Brad, looks pretty darn good to me!

One question, is it possible to pitch with the 'inside' pole to the back instead of to the front? That's one of the things I wanted to try when I got mine.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Re: Re: Up to date on 04/18/2011 20:04:13 MDT Print View

Front view. Yeah the neighbors are talking about the crazy guy outside with a Budweiser, setting up a tent and taking pictures.Front view cricket

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Locale: Southeast
Looking better on 04/18/2011 20:15:53 MDT Print View

Looking better! Can't wait to see a pic with the beak lowered. If it lowers enough to fully protect from the elements, this will be my next tent!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Cricket has arrived on 04/18/2011 20:16:02 MDT Print View

Really a cool looking shelter. I can't get my head around how to protect the front from wind driven rain unless the canopy can be pitched lower....