Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Camp Coffee

Display Avatars Sort By:
Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Re: coffee on 10/21/2005 20:01:08 MDT Print View

Yeah, the cardamom knocks my nose off. I wonder if it attracts bears. As you noticed, you can't seal it off.

Frankly, I got sick of the flavored stuff, and now just go with the plain Turkish or Greek -- Turks and Greeks get all irate, but the coffee is about the same.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Re: Re: Re: coffee on 10/22/2005 01:43:24 MDT Print View

there is a lot of similar behavior between various species of animals. as i've recently read about bears (both here in the BPL Forums and on some links to authoritative web articles), i see so much similarity between certains aspects of bear behavior and dog behavior (which i am rather familiar with). yes, there still are diffs., but a lot of similarities.

i'm guessing that, like dogs, bears will investigate a "new" scent, e.g. cardamom, out of curiosity just for a closer sniff and possibly taste to see if it's edible. bears, being omnivores, might even be more curious about these non-meat scents than carnivorous dogs are (and dogs are still curious about them). they also have a much better sense of smell than even blood-hounds (3x the nasal passage surface area with olfactory related nerve endings, and a larger pct of their brain devoted to olfactory than dogs).

to me, cardamom smells like it could be food. imagine how a bear might perceive it!

however, i know nearly nothing about bears, so i'm just guessing here. better to err on the side of safety. remember, if a bear finds out, upon closer investigation, that it doesn't like the cardamom, there is always the nearby human!!! that's why i also hang the food far away from the night's bivy area and hope that i can remember where and find it the next morning! [prob. naive - if a dog could track me from the "hang" to the bivy, a bear certainly can too - but, still a good thing to do.]

Edited by pj on 10/22/2005 01:45:19 MDT.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: coffee on 10/31/2005 10:46:08 MST Print View

Paul,
You're dead on. No one knows much about bears. Just when you think you have them figured out, you get gobbled up. That's the point. Bears and dogs can smell stuff - and smell it so well - we can't imagine it. Then they can act in unpredictable ways.

That's why anything with a hint of odor goes in the hang bag - and in : toothpaste (for those who carry it), citronella/ment/of any other non-DEET insect repellant, soap, all toiletries (for those who don't just go with the stink).

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: coffee on 10/31/2005 11:32:33 MST Print View

>>"the stink"

Vick, what do you think? perhaps even "the stink" smells like food? i've seen dogs (not mine) gobble down stuff that i couldn't get near my nose. perhaps the worst (but by no means the only) example, some dogs low on certain nutrients may resort to coprophagy to obtain some. also, for hours afterwards our breath, and glands can exude many diff. types of food/chemical odors - not just things like garlic, onions, broccoli.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: coffee on 10/31/2005 17:26:58 MST Print View

OOOH! Let's hope secondhand broccoli and onions are not attractive to bears.

Linda Voll
(Mataharihiker) - F

Locale: NW Wisconsin
All in one coffee and filter! on 11/19/2005 06:56:33 MST Print View

May I offer, for you coffee efficiandos, the primo way to have your drip, filtered coffee on the trail in a light, easy-to-pack system.
onefreshcup

Yes, it's not cheap. The mug size works really well..I can even get it to spread and hold over my Bistro coffee press (I like the size of the mug)

The coffee is excellent and it's worth every penny, IMHO...I'm used to European coffee..strong, not bitter, smooth..this stuff is pretty good and, by far, the best for Backpacking I've ever found.

Edited by Mataharihiker on 11/19/2005 07:26:54 MST.

Joy Menze
(catamountain) - M
Cowboy coffee on 11/24/2005 13:13:38 MST Print View

Instead of using eggshells to make the loose grounds to sink after brewing, sprinkle/throw a little cold water on the surface of the coffee. It only gets a little chewy towards the bottom of the pot/cup.

Edited by catamountain on 11/24/2005 13:56:29 MST.

john h
(john567) - F
Re: Camp Coffee on 11/30/2005 22:12:58 MST Print View

I'm really getting tired of the cowboy coffee bit. I ran across a coffee press that fits inside a Nalgene bottle - www.press-bot.com. Looks fairly light and might beat the whole cold water and egg shells magic show.

David Bonn
(david_bonn) - F

Locale: North Cascades
Re: Camp Coffee on 11/30/2005 22:40:42 MST Print View

I've used a single-cup coffee maker at home for years, and it would also work fine on the trail:

http://baldmountaincoffee.com/page/BMCC/PROD/Swissgold_Coffee_Filters/SWISS-KF300

The one I bought in 1992 is still in working condition. Picked it up an espresso place in Shasta City, CA.

Jaime Ondrusek
(jondru) - F

Locale: Puget Sound
another cold-brew system on 01/25/2006 10:43:09 MST Print View

I find that the Filtron system (www.filtron.com) is easier to use than the Toddy brand.

I've been using the cold-brew for my daily coffee for a few weeks now and can't wait to try it on a trip.

vv
J.O.

(Anonymous)
cowboy coffee on 02/03/2006 07:32:47 MST Print View

Try a small dribble of cold water around the edge to settle the grounds. If you grind your own coffee any large grinds will float in the first cup. Best results are from grocery store grinder set on expresso. I take it no one has munched on choc covered coffee beans.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: cowboy coffee on 02/03/2006 07:59:37 MST Print View

Only dark choc. covered beans - "hi-test", not decaf beans.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Re: Nescafe Espresso on 02/03/2006 10:32:46 MST Print View

Stir espresso grind, or turkish or greek stone ground coffee into almost but not quite boiling water (180F is fine). A few drops of cold water settle the grounds. Toss the sludge when you get to the bottom. Make another cup if you can keep your hands steady enough. Goooood!

Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Nescafe Espresso on 02/03/2006 11:40:39 MST Print View

Yes...that is the stuff...in the individual packs. The import tax will KILL you though.

Because I am a coffee fiend...I have tried just about every method of trail coffee. I am getting tired of cleaning and fussing with extra tools in order to get coffee. The folgers bags (like tea bags) was where I started...and although the flavor is just awful, I was about to go back to them, until I saw this thread. I went hunting for the holy grail of freeze dried coffee. That really is the easiest, lightest way to do the coffee thing. I found it available via an Australian import site based out of Texas....and it is in the jar so you don't have the extra packaging. It is still expensive and you have to pay shipping, but no import tax. I would try it and tell you what it tastes like...but I am saving it for a longer trip and once you break the seal...it is only good for a month and a half.
http://about-australia-shop.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=24f5afe1d6aa551c460ce1e35ac90d44&search_in_description=1&inc_subcat=1&keywords=nescafe&categories_id=&osCsid=24f5afe1d6aa551c460ce1e35ac90d44&pfrom=&pto=&x=0&y=0

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Nescafe in a Jar? on 02/03/2006 12:19:38 MST Print View

Shortened Link Nice...

I found a shop in town that carries Nescafe Espresso, I still need to get around to getting some (last time I went by they were sold out but confirmed that they usually kept some on hand)

Steve Martell
(Steve) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Washington
Java Juice Coffee Extract on 02/18/2006 17:07:44 MST Print View

Any one try this yet?
The BPL add does not list a shelf life.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Java Juice Coffee Extract on 02/18/2006 17:47:31 MST Print View

I've got some on order and should receive it some time next week. I ordered 10 packs to try out. I'll post a taste test.

My standard camp coffee at this time is Nescafe Espresso in the individual packs. I'm going to see how this stuff compares.

Dan

David Plantenga
(davidplantenga) - F
Re: Camp Coffee on 02/22/2006 12:28:30 MST Print View

Here's the LightWeight drill CoffeeLovers ...

At the store, grind your beans to "Turkish" grind (the finest, smallest grind)

Then when a "cupajoe" is wanted, simply spoon in the amount you want for the desired strength of coffee. Add HOT water and simply wait for the grounds to sink.

This method is "Turkish" coffee.

Can't drink completly, but when nearing the grounds, simply swish out and rinse the cup for the next use.

HEY, it doesn't get any ''lighter'' than this!

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Re: Re: Camp Coffee on 02/22/2006 14:48:32 MST Print View

DP,
I'm with you - but watch out for cardamon flavored Turkish... you might like it, but it can get old. But if you use the Turkish grind with unflavored coffee, the result is fiiiine.

Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Nescafe Espresso on 02/22/2006 16:19:33 MST Print View

The turkish style sounds good. I am not sure it is lighter than freeze dried...since in essence, the heavier liquid components have been removed.

I looked at the Java Juice, and while it sounds tastey, seems expensive at a $1 for 16 ounces. But then again, I pay nearly $2 for a large Peet's, so who knows. Perhaps Java Juice would seem more useful in a small bottle.