Forum Index » GEAR » lightweight jackets

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Locale: Midwest
lightweight jackets on 04/17/2011 19:04:32 MDT Print View

I am looking for a lightweight zipper jacket for some added warmth. I bought the rei revelcloud and it was great for the first week. I have primeloft coming out of the threads and found a hole in the right pocket. I had so much primiloft seeping out after a couple of days use it was getting stuck in the velcro of my phone pouch. So my question is should I return and get another one or is the Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket just like it but better quality?

http://www.rei.com/product/809225 nano puff page.

http://www.rei.com/category/4501424 jacket pagepatrei

Edited by tritan on 04/17/2011 19:09:54 MDT.

William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
Return it on 04/17/2011 19:08:30 MDT Print View

That shouldn't be happening lol it's rei defiantly return it I would try another one when i looked at them they seemed good quality I would exchange it for a new one and if it happens again get a refund just my opinion take it for what it's worth

Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Locale: Midwest
sewing on 04/17/2011 19:13:10 MDT Print View

I noticed that the PAT jacket has vertical and horizontal lines where the rei has just the horizontal . i wonder if this keeps the material from moving around as much? You have to use the zoom function on the site to see the differences.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Exchange at minimum on 04/17/2011 19:17:41 MDT Print View

Or, take it back and get a better option. Montbell has some nice options that weight less and are probably warmer. On the lighter end of the scale, there's the Montbell EXL (zipper but no pockets) or the UL Down Inner (pockets) are nice options and much lighter than the Revelcloud. Lots of people use them on this site including me. Very small and packable too. You can find them on sale or watch the used gear section. Added benefit they hold their value well too.

edited to add: look in the Article > Gear section for reviews on the Montbell jacket. I think Will reviewed it. And searching will reveal allot of positive reviews.

The "PAT" jacket is down I believe, thus more stitching to keep it in place.

Edited by WarrenGreer on 04/17/2011 19:23:51 MDT.

Carl Holt
(Sundown) - F
Re: lightweight jackets on 04/17/2011 19:39:47 MDT Print View

My vote is to return it. If you think you don't want to chance it again you can upgrade or try something like the GoLite Cady jacket.

Here is a link. http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=109009209&mc=&t=&lat=

I purchased it for $60 plus shipping and have found it fits trim and was excellent below a shell ( I have an REI eVent shell). It was just warm enough.

Just making a suggestion. Hope it helps.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Exchange at minimum on 04/17/2011 20:15:34 MDT Print View

"Or, take it back and get a better option. Montbell has some nice options that weight less and are probably warmer. On the lighter end of the scale, there's the Montbell EXL (zipper but no pockets) or the UL Down Inner (pockets) are nice options and much lighter than the Revelcloud. Lots of people use them on this site including me. Very small and packable too."

+1 Lots of warmth for the weight, high quality, reasonable prices.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Primaloft, Hmmm... on 04/17/2011 20:27:13 MDT Print View

Personally I'd look for a light syn insulated jacket in Climashield. It will likely (IMO) retain its loft better over time.