Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
First UL List
Display Avatars Sort By:
Zachary Eagle
(Zeagle) - F
First UL List on 04/17/2011 17:42:26 MDT Print View

Hi Everyone,

Here is my first gear list. Please let me know what I can do to lighten up or if I am missing anything obvious.

I know that I am going to get the following items:

Sleeping Quilt
Rain Jacket
Down Jacket

Zachary's List

BTW: I do most of my hiking in the Pacific Northwest, mostly in the summer and rarely longer than one week at a time.

Edited by Zeagle on 04/17/2011 18:01:52 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: First UL List on 04/17/2011 17:50:25 MDT Print View

Zachary, you might want to mention where you operate. A list suitable for a three-day trip in Florida might not make any sense for a two-week trip in Alaska.

Zachary Eagle
(Zeagle) - F
Re:First UL List on 04/17/2011 18:02:28 MDT Print View

Fixed. Thanks Bob.

Justin Nelson
(jnelson871) - MLife

Locale: CA Bay Area
Re: First UL List on 04/17/2011 18:03:28 MDT Print View

Nice list Zachary. Here is my two cents:
You could get lighter stakes like the TiGoat ones which weight 0.24 oz each

The GoLite quilt (26 oz) is nice as is the Western Mountaineering Highlite (16 oz) which is what is currently in my list.

Aqua Mira is a great water treatment system for under an oz when repackaged and I believe that Gossamer Gear has the repacking bottles available with the Aqua Mira

As for a toothbrush you can pick up a finger tip toothbrush at any pet store that won't even read on my scale :) and you can make tooth powder from 2 parts baking soda to one part salt and repackage as you will for less then 0.25 oz.

Great Work!

Zachary Eagle
(Zeagle) - F
Re: First UL List on 04/17/2011 18:45:55 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the tips. As for my sleeping system, the WM is tempting, but I am leaning toward the Golite Ultralight 3 Season. The golite costs lest than the WM and is rated to 20*F while the WM is only a 35*F.

todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Re: First UL List on 04/17/2011 20:21:43 MDT Print View

Nice list!

Can't go wrong w/Montbell, IMO. Everything that I own, I like. I lust after a few other items from them, as well!

A compactor bag should weigh 2.5oz.

A polycro groundsheet should weigh about and ounce for 1, 2-3 for 2 people, etc. I use window shrink film from ACE Hardware for cheap - same material.

Many good poly long johns out there. No need to spend much to get good ones. My confortrel from Sierra Trading Post have lasted yrs, are light & warm.

There's a great Ti pot set w/ pouch & spork for around $30 in Gear Swap right now. I don't like sporks, but if I was looking for a good deal that's it!

For the money I find Golite's quilts hard to beat. Esp the construction and width.

Zachary Eagle
(Zeagle) - F
RE:First UL List on 04/17/2011 20:42:17 MDT Print View

Thanks Todd,

I think I have long underwear pants somewhere, I just need to locate them and see if I am happy with them. Thanks for the tip on the pot I am also looking at something like this:
Snow Peak 600

It weighs only 2.8oz.

As for the quilt. I am looking at a Golite Ultralite 3 Season 20*F quilt that weighs 24oz for $220 shipped. What do you guys think about that quilt is it too heavy? too expensive?

Edited by Zeagle on 04/17/2011 20:53:10 MDT.

Ryan Krause

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: RE:First UL List on 04/18/2011 23:57:34 MDT Print View

If you go with the Golite Ultralight 3 20*F quilt, on Geartrade there is one for $170 + shipping through returns...

Zachary Eagle
(Zeagle) - F
Backcountry vs Geartrade on 04/19/2011 00:19:48 MDT Print View

Thanks Ryan,

I looked at the geartrade listing but I really like Backcountry's return policy plus I have a gift card for Amazon so I think I can buy it through Backcountry's Amazon store and use up my gift card.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
reply / feedback on 04/19/2011 09:28:14 MDT Print View

Golite Jam2 2009 version ------ A dependable "entry" pack into the lightweight camping mindset.

compactor bag ------- available at any grocery store. About 4 bucks for a box of 5.

Ground Cloth -------- (see below)

Considering MYOG Quilt or possibly a golite quilt ----- The quilts from GoLite are excellent. I would invest in a BIVY sack and NIX the groundcloth, especially if tarp camping.
I use the *Golite Ultralite 3 Season 20*F quilt that weighs 24oz* and I love it!

Snow peak - stove ---------- I always advocate nixing the canister stoves and going with a tiny alcohol stove. More fun, and you get MYOG points.

Gravity Pump - 15 oz??? --------- THe PNW has some of the cleanest water on the planet! Don't you dare take a 15 ounce filter! I drink almost always without any filter or treatment at all! Take a tiny set of repackaged AquaMira.

DriDucks? ---------- THese are awesome for anywhere on earth BUT the pacific northwest. This is the place where a real rain parka is essential. THe only flaw to the DriDucks is they end up getting trashed with a lot of use. Better for a dry environment where it rains only sporadically.