Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » What to use for the floor of a bug bivy?

Display Avatars Sort By:
William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
What to use for the floor of a bug bivy? on 04/17/2011 15:08:57 MDT Print View

I am making a simple bug bivy for summer use I have some ripstop nylon I could coat would that be enough for the floor ? I understand the hh on It is probaly not the best but here in mexico the ground is almost never saturated enough to make that a promblem the floor is more to keep the pad and bag clean and protected from sharp objects

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F - M
What to use for the floor of a bug bivy? on 04/17/2011 17:13:23 MDT Print View

You could just build the entire thing out of 1.25 oz tyvek.
Other than that I would say 1oz silnylon for the bottom.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: What to use for the floor of a bug bivy? on 04/17/2011 17:56:47 MDT Print View

Whether we are talking about a bug bivvy or a regular bivvy, most people use some fabric that is fairly waterproof for the bottom. That suggests coated ripstop nylon, silnylon, or spinnaker fabric. I used the latter becaused it seemed to be the lightest in weight at the time.

--B.G.--

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: What to use for the floor of a bug bivy? on 04/17/2011 18:22:06 MDT Print View

I have an old GG Spinnaker sheet. It is 24 inches wide and 72 inches long. It weighs a few ounces and works great...in fact, I have had it now for 5 years

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: What to use for the floor of a bug bivy? on 04/17/2011 23:18:41 MDT Print View

Make it out of anything and use Suluk46's 1/8" X 25" X 74 Padded Ground Sheet foam pad as your ground sheet. This is what I often do. I think it weighs 2 oz or so. If you need more cushion, bring another thicker pad.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: What to use for the floor of a bug bivy? on 04/18/2011 01:27:41 MDT Print View

It might be challenging to construct, but it'd be pretty slick to use the ground sheet as the floor for the bivy. In this case, a Suluk46 pad. I've thought about doing this with an inflatable pad...

Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
Re: What to use for the floor of a bug bivy? on 04/18/2011 12:07:52 MDT Print View

I plan on doing exactly that. I've got a good stash of 1.1oz ripstop leftover from my 8x10 tarp project (uncoated) that I intend to use as the floor of the smd meteor bivy, and will coat them both myself. We'll see how big of a mess I can make with the diluted silicone. I imagine I should wear some hobo clothes that I can just toss when I'm done...

I just need to buy the water proof breathable fabric for the top, and some netting and I'm good to go.

BM