Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bay Area Backpacking TRAILS

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nino Lorenzo
(neanYOe) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Bay Area Backpacking TRAILS on 04/15/2011 16:52:29 MDT Print View

Looking for a good 1 or 2 night hike,camp, camp location to do for sat-monday..

nothing to difficult but something a lone hiker would enjoy.

any suggestions??

Adam McDaniel
(neurons4me) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
good bay area options on 04/15/2011 17:26:48 MDT Print View

the Ohlone Wilderness trail is nice this time of year. There is a camp just past Mission Peak in Fremont that I like called Eagle Spring backpackers camp (site #4 is where you want to be). Skyline to the sea trail spanning Castlerock state park and big basin has a few good trail camps. Sunol is very accessible and has multiple trail routes to take to the backpacking camp areas so it is a very repeatable area. Henry Co state park between San Jose and Gilroy has a bunch of short and long trails worth hiking. It can be tough to get a reservation but Angel Island is worth a trip.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Bay Area BPing trails on 04/15/2011 20:04:50 MDT Print View

Those are all good suggestions. If you search the forums here, you can find an alternate route on the Skyline to Sea trail, but since you'll be alone, I imagine the need for a shuttle would make this problematic.

Don't overlook Marin/Pt. Reyes. It's amazing this time of year. Lots of trails from the headlands all the way up to pt. reyes, and they all connect with towns (food!) in between. Can be a lot of fun and leisurely hiking.

Nino Lorenzo
(neanYOe) - F

NATE on 04/15/2011 20:46:24 MDT Print View

Nate, Where exactly in point reyes? know a good trail head? water accessible?

Justin Nelson
(jnelson871) - MLife

Locale: CA Bay Area
Re: NATE on 04/15/2011 21:27:18 MDT Print View

You could check out Butano State Park down by Santa Cruz. Has a nice loop out to 7 or 8 backpacking sites that are first come first serve and covers some beautiful scenery. One of my favorite trips and I almost never see another sole. I think it is around 6 miles each day and makes a perfect loop.

Nino Lorenzo
(neanYOe) - F

Butano was perfect! on 04/18/2011 18:18:58 MDT Print View

I got there and did not know a thing about the place. so asking the camp manager, Phil.. he lead me to stay at the "walk in" camp sites... 50 ft from the parking spaces?! so i made camp thinking..this will do if i get to do the hike. so i do the 12miles loop alone.. and on the last leg of it..what do u know, i run into 4 backpackers climbing up! they told me then of TRAIL camp. I hiked all the way back down, packed up my gear and headed back up! :) i made it to trail camp in about an hour n a half from camp ries.. and found them. Company made the weekend as the place was empty!! the one nighter was perfect.. thanks for the input nate!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Butano on 04/18/2011 18:24:36 MDT Print View

This is not necessarily a good time to be in Butano. This is the middle of poison oak flowering season.

--B.G.--

Nino Lorenzo
(neanYOe) - F

poison oak on 04/18/2011 18:32:27 MDT Print View

I was aware. It was well to the side of the paths. ..I wore shorts the entire weekend :)