Forum Index » GEAR » Which bivy?

Display Avatars Sort By:
William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
Which bivy? on 04/15/2011 12:50:38 MDT Print View

I am looking for a bivy to use under my echo 1 tarp I want it light with a mesh panel for the upper body if not a whole mesh top I would like it under 8 ounces as well what's out there ? Smd meteor what else?

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: PNW
Oware bivies on 04/15/2011 13:54:53 MDT Print View

Check out these bivies from Oware - they seem to be what you are looking for:

Simple bivy and Hot weather bivy

There is a sale going on that ends today - you get 15% off and free shipping. My two-person bivy from Oware just arrived yesterday and came in 1.7 oz under the specified weight.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Which bivy? on 04/15/2011 14:08:05 MDT Print View

There is also the TiGoat Bug Bivy.

William Zila

Meteor on 04/15/2011 14:16:34 MDT Print View

I like the ti goat but I think the meteor fits my needs best it looks like you can attach the bug netting to your tarp to get head room with the little d loop on the mesh is that right ?

Heath Pitts
(heathpitts) - F

Locale: Nashville
MLD Superlight on 04/15/2011 14:35:33 MDT Print View

The MLD Superlight bivy can be purchased with an optional all mesh head area. Might be less mesh than you are looking for though

Edited by heathpitts on 04/15/2011 14:36:05 MDT.

Justin Nelson
(jnelson871) - MLife

Locale: CA Bay Area
Re: Meteor on 04/15/2011 22:03:30 MDT Print View

Hi Will. The TiGOat Bivy I have has an attachment on it on it for attaching the bug netting to the tarp etc. just like your looking for. Although I have the Ptarmigan with the full mesh hood rather then just the bug bivy. Weighs in on my scale at 7.25 oz with the stuff sack.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Meteor Bivy on 04/16/2011 04:43:11 MDT Print View

Most bug bivys have a loop to hang the bugnet from. I find the Meteor most comfortable in warmish weather as there is more mesh than other bivys. Having the lower half water resistant means you still get protection under a tarp.

I actually often use the Meteor in the winter, it does reduce drafts, holding in a good amount of warmth and does an OK job of holding back spray and spindrift.

I also have the Oware drawstring bivy. It is not as easy to get in and out of, but offers more protection in bad weather. I use the Oware mostly as an emergency shelter for day hikes and long kayak day trips.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
bivy on 04/16/2011 06:21:04 MDT Print View

Edited by annapurna on 04/16/2011 09:40:25 MDT.

William Zila

Bear paw on 04/16/2011 08:47:13 MDT Print View

Oo I like that bear paw too but I like the bottom half of the meteor being nylon instead of mesh keep the suggestions coming

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Bear paw on 04/16/2011 09:39:53 MDT Print View

I'm sorry I thought you said in your original post you were also interested in an all mesh top also.

Edited by annapurna on 04/17/2011 01:29:20 MDT.

Shane Reed
(sreed24) - M
Re: Re: Bear paw on 04/16/2011 09:45:43 MDT Print View

I'd contact John at Bearpaw, he can most likely make exactly what you want, rather quickly too. Good luck

John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re Bearpaw on 04/16/2011 09:57:40 MDT Print View

John has done custom work for me, and the results exceeded expectations. He is a first rate professional and has a quick turn time.

Regards,
John

Mike Knapp
(IdahoMike) - F

Locale: Idaho
Katabatic Gear Bivys on 04/16/2011 10:57:03 MDT Print View

Nobody has mentioned Katabatic Gear bivys. I am shopping bivys as well right now and this is the top of my list. I have a Katabatic Gear quilt, and I love it. Excellent workmanship. I like the Bristlecone bivy with the bug mesh window and half zipper at 6.8 oz. I don't own it yet....anyone have experience using a Katabatic bivy?

Samuel Kau
(Skau)

Locale: Southern California
Ti Goat on 04/16/2011 11:05:39 MDT Print View

I love my ptarmigan bivy. I find bivies so useful and i ordered the one with a net hood. I don't have the katabatic bivy but i chose the ptarmigan one because of the hooded version so in a real downpour i wanted to make sure the mesh wasn't touching the floor since i don't use a groundsheet.

Keith Craigs
(KeithCraigs) - F
bivy fit on 04/16/2011 11:22:29 MDT Print View

I'm also shopping for a head netted bivy - Can people who comment on what they own also say what fits? I'm 6 even and would like to use my neoair and down to a 20F down bag. I've read elsewhere that with this combination (tall/winter bag/thick pad) it's difficult to find a large enough bivy. I was dead set on a ptarmigan until I read it would be a tight fit, especially in the foot area.

Samuel Kau
(Skau)

Locale: Southern California
Re: bivy fit on 04/16/2011 11:25:52 MDT Print View

I have also heard that a ptarmigan bivy will not fit a neoair well. I use a 3/4 foam pad so that does not affect me. Titanium goat also has a raven bivy which is suppose to be bigger and if you are concerned about fit maybe thats the one you need. I think the katabatic bivy is also bigger than the ptarmigan bivy as well.

Keith Craigs
(KeithCraigs) - F
side sleeper on 04/16/2011 11:34:29 MDT Print View

I'm a side sleeper - thin pads don't do my shoulders any favors... I've looked at the Katabatic bivys awhile ago and decided that they were cut specifically for their quilts

jim jessop
(LuckyJim) - F
Katabatic Bristlecone bivy on 04/16/2011 11:58:04 MDT Print View

Yes the Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy is superb.

It's wide enough for me as a restless side sleeper and the side zip makes loads of difference to usability, allowing you to sit up easily in the bivy if you use your pad inside it.

Mark Roberts
(redwedge) - MLife

Locale: Lapland
Katabatic Bivy on 04/16/2011 12:01:51 MDT Print View

I have a Katabatic Bivy and love it. The net is large, the design is great, the quality is excellent. Aaron responded to a minor complaint and improved the zip stop design.

A brief review is here:
http://backpackingnorth.blogspot.com/2010/09/katabatic-gear-bristlecone-bivy.html

And the updated zip stop here:
http://backpackingnorth.blogspot.com/2010/10/katabatic-bristlecone-update.html

There is plenty of room for a NeoAir or POE pad inside, and the corner stake out points are very useful.

Incidentally, I had a problem with the TiGoat bivy - the tie out point is attached directly to the mesh, and is more prone to ripping than the Bristlecone, where the tie is attached to stronger material near the zipper.

Edited by redwedge on 04/16/2011 12:03:31 MDT.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Katabatic Bristlecone bivy on 04/16/2011 12:04:15 MDT Print View

I have used a neo air and a poe Peak Elite AC without any problems ( I am a side sleeper)