Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Post-hike rituals

Display Avatars Sort By:
Martin RJ Carpenter
(MartinCarpenter) - F
More No Cars on 04/04/2013 03:58:35 MDT Print View

No car here either but of course England is an awfully small, densly populated, place! Also convenient history of industry in many of the hill areas leading to some quite useful surviving railway lines. So you can do an awful lot of day walks by public transport. Longer trips very easy.

Scotland seems sparsely populated enough that you'd really need either a car or a tent/longer trips.

Chris .
(cwb) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
post hike on 04/04/2013 16:56:28 MDT Print View

No real traditions but I did stop in the small town at the bottom of San Gorgonio last week and the FFA was holding a breakfast in the town hall. It was pretty cool, the food was great and the small town atmosphere was hard to beat.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
beer on 04/04/2013 19:51:12 MDT Print View

+1 one on fresh clothes, beer, snacks, wash etc

but when coming out of the eastern sierra always gotta make a stop at Schat's bakery in bishop and the Whoa nellie deli in Lee Vining

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Ridiculous pub by my house on 04/06/2013 20:16:05 MDT Print View

I'm lucky enough to have a bar a mike from home that shares a wall with a very upscale prime and gourmet market. They have a ground sirloin burger 1/2 lb with bacon and cheddar on any day with homemade chips for 2.99$. They have 25 microbrews on tap. And it's a couple blocks away! So for $10 I get a prime burger with 2 pints. Just enough to roll home to the shower.... Helluva deal.

Great thread Ike

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: Ridiculous pub by my house on 04/07/2013 06:12:14 MDT Print View

I would love a decent pub near my house I could walk to as in my town buses and taxis are as rare
As honest politicians.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Post-hike rituals on 04/07/2013 10:05:48 MDT Print View

My last stop before hitting the shower at home is at HF Crave. Free-range, grass fed Nebraska beef. Not a pub, just bugers, sodas and a few bottled beers. Lift off the top bun and put your nose right down inside... breath in slowly .... mmmmm, no wonder why they call this "The Beef State".

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Post hike rituals on 04/07/2013 10:48:32 MDT Print View

There's been a recent shift in my post-hike ritual. I used to like to find a diner and get hashbrowns (covered, if possible) and biscuits and gravy and cover it all with hot sauce and wash it down with a Coke. But now that my wife and I have been out of college for a few years we're yearning for some of the food we grew accustomed to while there. Fortunately I do most of my hiking around where we went to college (Rolla, MO) and the past few times I've stopped at Pizza Inn for the buffet and then went to Slice of Pie to pick up some treats to bring back home. A half slice of pie will set you back almost $4 but it much weigh a half-pound. Some of my favorites are the oreo cheesecake and the Dutch Apple pie with cinnamon sauce. It pairs well with Wild Turkey :D. My wife like to get the french silk or one of the myriad other cream pies. Just thinking about it makes me hungry, good thing I'm going down there again this weekend!

Adam

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Mmmm on 04/07/2013 13:43:02 MDT Print View

Hashbrowns, biscuits, and gravy is still my favorite post hike meal. I like to get a side of sausage and 2-3 eggs over easy thrown on top. This sort of food orgy usually attracts attention from weight conscious onlookers.

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 04/07/2013 13:57:19 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 06/17/2013 20:12:52 MDT.