Post-hike rituals
Display Avatars Sort By:
Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
Not a drinker so... on 04/16/2011 00:22:03 MDT Print View

Good food and an aimless drive in the general direction of home (often not intentional) to let everything soak back in. Somewhere in there I find some decent coffee.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Post-hike rituals on 04/16/2011 07:52:32 MDT Print View

91 Vanagon Travis. Help yourself. I always bring enough to share.

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Post-hike rituals on 04/16/2011 15:48:57 MDT Print View

Clean clothes (at least the underwear) and then good local pizza and micro brew beer before the drive home. If out west then I would be like Eugene and substitute anything with green chile!

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Beer post trail on 04/16/2011 17:17:45 MDT Print View

I forget that the Mag Way sometimes has a cooler of beer waiting...

Beer!

If you see a blue pick-up that is plastered with hiking stickers, there is agood chance that there is a cooler in there with some yummy brews. I like the variety pack from Left Hand Brewery myself. (Milk stout...nectar of the gods..) The above photo also has Oskar Blues in it it too...

I also take enough to share. :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Post-hike rituals on 04/16/2011 17:35:10 MDT Print View

This whole thread has started me thinking again. I needed to get into training for backpack season, so I had to down a cold one today. First one in months. I have a long way to go to get ready.

One time about ten years ago, I was coming down the Mount Whitney Trail. I still had a quart of water left in case I got really thirsty, but I knew that I was getting close to the bottom. Instead of stopping to drink the water, I just kept rolling downhill. As I reached the bottom of the trail, there were two good ol' boys sitting on the tailgate of their truck directly across the road, and they had a couple of cold ones in hand. They saw me finish the hike, and they had questions about the trail since they were going up in the morning, so they invited me over and thrust a cold one into my hand. I could not refuse it or else it wouldn't be polite. So, despite being as thirsty for water as I was, I started sipping the cold one as the two guys hit me with their questions. After a few minutes, I was only about a quarter of the way done on that cold one, and my lips were already going numb. The alcohol was being absorbed directly into my dry mouth tissues. Yikes. So, I finished their questions, jumped into my car, and drove off down the hill. Once I got out of sight, I had to pour the rest of the beer out or else I would not be fit to drive eight hours to get home. I know that is a sacrilege to pour out cold beer, and I have repented now.

--B.G.--

Edited by --B.G.-- on 04/16/2011 17:36:35 MDT.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Beer post trail on 04/16/2011 17:43:21 MDT Print View

mmm beer.

now that many brewers offer cans, its hard not to pack them in with me. last time out i carried 4 cans of San Tan brewings (local, chandler az) HOPSHOCK. worth every ounce. Dales is ok too, but i reaallly like the bite of those grapefruity, piney (even if unbalanced) hops of the IPA.
that's when its time to get another SKA brewing's MODUS HOPERANDI. a local place Four Peaks started doing their Sunbru and Kiltlifter in cans, the day they can the tasty HOPKNOT could be soon?
a short list of canned beers that i have had the pleasure, i think worth carrying:
Prescott Amber (az)
Ska Modus Hoperandi
San Tan Hopshock
Dales Pale ale
not real big on Scotch ale, but Ol Chub and Kiltlifter are fine for colder months.
Harpoon IPA
Niumbus A-1 (az)

want to try: Surly Abrasive

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Beer on 04/16/2011 17:57:33 MDT Print View

+1 to the Modus Hoperandi

And if you like MH but think Dale's is only OK, try Oscar Blues Gubna. An Imperial IPA that comes in a can. Fantastic! And 10% ABV so great bang for the weight (not the buck as it's pricey). And there's even a Blazing Saddles tribute on the back of the can. On short trips I always bring a MH and a Gubna along. Well worth the weight. Although maybe not the look my dog gives me like "Why is my pack so heavy?".

I also throw some in a ice chest with a frozen gallon of water. That lasts quite a while. And extras for people I meet on the trail or at the TH. It's always good to share.

Martha S.
(kitfox) - F
post-hike rituals on 04/16/2011 18:05:10 MDT Print View

1. Soak in a hotspring if available -- ahhhhhh
2. Clean(ish) clothes
3. Greasy spoon breakfast with hiking buds -- cuss and discuss the trip.
4. Drive home -- multiple lattes
5. Arrive home. Kiss hubby. Several times
6. Hot bath, shave legs, moisturize, etc. = remind myself that I'm a girl
7. Day after -- clean gear, repack gear -- ready for the next trip!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: post-hike rituals on 04/16/2011 18:38:05 MDT Print View

In N Out
shower at home
wife time
beer

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Re: Beer post trail on 04/16/2011 19:02:46 MDT Print View

"a short list of canned beers that i have had the pleasure, i think worth carrying:
Prescott Amber (az)
Ska Modus Hoperandi
San Tan Hopshock
Dales Pale ale
not real big on Scotch ale, but Ol Chub and Kiltlifter are fine for colder months.
Harpoon IPA
Niumbus A-1 (az)

want to try: Surly Abrasive"

Old Speckled Hen in a can is mighty fine too!

old speckled hen

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Beer post trail on 04/16/2011 19:13:18 MDT Print View

Model Especial makes it my pack quite often. 24oz means there is enough to share. And hey, it's imported.

Robert Burke
(coastiebob) - MLife

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking
Pancakes on 04/16/2011 19:25:19 MDT Print View

All I can think of is pancakes. With lots of syrup from pretty much anyplace that will serve them to me. I am not too picky as long as they are not the pancakes you get from the toaster. Those are hard and much more like frisbees than pancakes.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Re: Beer post trail on 04/16/2011 19:28:44 MDT Print View

"there's even a Blazing Saddles tribute on the back of the can"

found on the new "where all the white women at?" pale ale..!

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 04/16/2011 19:52:58 MDT.

Karl Myers
(kmyers1234) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Post-hike rituals on 04/16/2011 19:30:28 MDT Print View

Phone call to dad to tell him i made it down usually followed by endless reminiscences of his "golden years" in the hills, this conversation lasts anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple hours.

Directly following the phone call I find the nearest store and buy a snickers bar and a bottle of one of the following:

1) Hop Czar Imperial IPA
2) Ninkasi Total Domination IPA
3) Alaskan Amber
4) Midnight Sun Sockeye Red IPA
5) Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale

Nothing however beats gettin home and curling up on the couch with my blood hound Hank and watchin a movie

Kent C.
(kent) - M

Locale: High Sierra
Post-hike rituals on 04/16/2011 20:23:08 MDT Print View

Enjoyable thread, Ike; good idea!

Definitely a 'hospital bath' Immediately upon reaching the car, and a change of clothes. Then,

Lots of soda! Refills all the way home! I drink plain water at home, but several days of the back country fires-up my sweet tooth. Before hitting the trail, like many, I prepare a cooler with ice (and soda), then hide it completely from our notorious Sierra black bears (especially Yosemite!).

Years ago, a trip into Sequoia meant a big, fat, juicy double cheese burger, double fries, and a chocolate shake (from Fudrucker's in Fresno)! Now, it's a belly-buster size burrito from a place in Modesto, after coming out of Yosemite.

After pizza and root beer a several years ago, it's been: anything & Root Beer ever since. So good after a hike.

Once home, even if it's 2 am, a LONG, HOT shower. All the way 'til the water heater's got nothing left.

My wife will ask about the trip, and I, still amp'ed, proceed to tell her more than she really wants to know. (She's quite understanding about this part!)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Post-hike rituals on 04/16/2011 20:35:42 MDT Print View

Change into clean clothes stashed in the car, then usually find a Sheetz for hot greasy sandwiches and pop. Occasionally stop at some restaurant instead - Cracker Barrel is a favorite. When I finally get home I most always unpack right away, shake out/hang my gear, wash my cooking stuff and wash my clothes, regardless of what time it is, and then shower.

Allan Peretz
(alibi) - F

Locale: The Ozarks
"Creamslush Treat" and a Burger on 04/17/2011 06:06:08 MDT Print View

On the way back home from my favorite "go to" day hike (the Butterfield Hiking Trail, AR), there are really only two choices available- Sonic and McDonalds. I always go to Sonic and get a Lime "Creamslush Treat" (essentially an icee with softserve ice cream mixed in) and a Sonic Cheeseburger.

I finish the burger there and drink the Creamslush on the drive. Somehow, the slush always lasts exactly long enough for me to get home, and keeps me in bliss the entire way!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: "Creamslush Treat" and a Burger on 04/17/2011 07:14:34 MDT Print View

Allan, we are just starting to get some Sonic Burgers in Northern California. Tried one out the other day......NICE!

For post hike burgers the list would be in order
1. In N Out
2. 5 Guys
3. Sonic

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Re: "Creamslush Treat" and a Burger on 04/17/2011 07:45:44 MDT Print View

At Quincey's in Damascus, VA last year at the end of a section hike on the AT.

Thick juicy Smokehouse Burger with all the trimmings and a couple of Hornsbys Hard apple ciders.

Then came desert.

An apple crepe that covered half of a full size dinner plate. The other half was covered by vanilla ice cream drizzled with a caramel sauce.

There were no leftovers. :-)

If you are going through Damascus do not pass Quincey's without stopping in to eat.

BTW they cater to hikers. We got into town late directly from the trail. We dropped our packs at the car and immediately walked right in and sat down to a good meal.

This was followed by a short walk across the street to Dave's Place, a hiker hostel, for a shower and a good night's sleep before starting the drive home the next day.

Party On,

Newton

Jack Marler
(JackNewman) - F

Locale: Mississippi River Valley
Post-Hike on 04/17/2011 08:51:11 MDT Print View

When I got out of the Bob Marshall I was faced with a 30 hour drive home and had not actually decided what route to take. I wiped down and changed clothing, got a cold PowerAde from the cooler that I had in the van and drove to the first place that sold sub-sandwiches. (Exxon station in Choteau)
Fresh hot coffee, PowerAde and the occasional sub, was my practice on the way home
Newman