Forum Index » Gear Lists » Rae Lakes Loop August 5-8

Display Avatars Sort By:
Frank H.
(porker110)

Locale: California
Rae Lakes Loop August 5-8 on 04/14/2011 16:11:55 MDT Print View

I'm planning on doing the Rae Lakes loop out of Kings Canyon for my 21 birthday. I will be going clockwise. Just wondering if anybody has any tips or suggestion on my current gear list. You can check my profile for the list or follow this link. The food isn't exact but pretty close. I will also be adding a head net.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/c696437923f857e3c1c33b95a8ce409c.pdf

Edited by porker110 on 04/14/2011 18:25:42 MDT.

William Johnson
(Steamboat_Willie)
Rae Lakes on 04/14/2011 17:48:55 MDT Print View

Enjoy your trip. I love that route.

Lots of swimming, and wildlife. I looked in your list for summer season gear, a bear canister, a contained stove, and saw that you will be bringing a head net. Looks good.

If you have not been on this route before, the mosquitos are very heavy, but there are lots of granite boulders surrounding the lakes that give some respite (except at the actual Rae Lakes mid-point, which has been the toughest spot for me to avoid the mosquitoes.

Enjoy!

Rob Vandiver
(ShortBus) - M

Locale: So Cal
Rae Lakes Loop List on 04/14/2011 18:23:03 MDT Print View

This looks like a great list. I did the loop in mid August last year and I didn't have much of an issue with bugs at all. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Water is plentiful along the route. I carried a max of 1.5 liters, averaging probably half that. The longest waterless stretch (going clockwise) that I remember was going from Upper Paradise to Woods Creek, or maybe from the Upper Rae's to Junction Meadow.

Have fun, it's a great trip!

-Rob V

Frank H.
(porker110)

:) on 04/15/2011 22:17:35 MDT Print View

Thanks guys i can't wait, i just hope it isn't too hot

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Rae Lakes Loop August 5-8 on 04/15/2011 22:32:59 MDT Print View

Frank, are you going clockwise or counterclockwise around the loop? Oh, well, I guess it doesn't matter too much. The bears will find you wherever you are.

--B.G.--

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Locale: Southeast
Permit on 04/16/2011 08:50:05 MDT Print View

Do you know where to call/go online to get a permit for Rae Lakes Loop? Or is there no quota? How is this loop in mid-September?

Edited by HikeUltralight on 04/16/2011 08:50:55 MDT.

Frank H.
(porker110)

Rae Lakes Loop August 5-8 on 04/16/2011 10:11:32 MDT Print View

I will be going Clockwise.

You can check here for the availability of each trailhead http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/reservation-availability.htm
and here to for info about a permit http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/wilderness_permits.htm

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Permit on 04/16/2011 10:14:28 MDT Print View

I've done that trip twice, and I always pick up the permit at the trailhead ten minutes before I actually leave. I'm generally getting about the last permit of the quota. In mid-September, it should be cool and dry, but nearly all of the flowers will be gone. The bears will be there to welcome late season visitors.

--B.G.--

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Locale: Southeast
Favorite on 04/16/2011 10:21:13 MDT Print View

So if you had to pick a favorite time to do the loop, what would it be?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Rae Lakes Loop August 5-8 on 04/16/2011 10:21:55 MDT Print View

"I will be going Clockwise."

If you get an early start, you can make it to Woods Crossing in a day. If you do not get that early start, you spend the first night in the Paradise Valley, which tends to be full of mosquitos and bears.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Favorite on 04/16/2011 10:25:17 MDT Print View

"So if you had to pick a favorite time to do the loop, what would it be?"

I've gone there twice in August for bighorn sheep season. If you see where the grass is very good, that's where the bighorn rams will be.

--B.G.--

Frank H.
(porker110)

gear list on 04/16/2011 14:39:32 MDT Print View

I guess my gear list is just fine, thanks everyone :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: gear list on 04/16/2011 17:47:31 MDT Print View

Your Bear Vault 450 ought to be about right for that trip. I took one the same volume on my first trip there some years ago, and then took a smaller volume on my second trip there in 2009. That was probably a mistake.

--B.G.--

Frank H.
(porker110)

RE: GEAR list on 04/16/2011 18:51:13 MDT Print View

I've been practicing putting food in to see how much i can get in and in which order to put it. It seems to work out great.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: RE: GEAR list on 04/16/2011 19:23:59 MDT Print View

One fellow packed too much food into the Bear Vault, and it seemed to jam the screw lid a bit. We had to work on it for about 30 minutes before we got it open.

I had a similar thing happen on a Bear Boxer. Since it is much smaller, I was trying to stuff too much in, and it seemed to jam the lid latches from the inside. It took a while.

Unlike bears, if the human is hungry enough, he will get it open.

--B.G.--

Frank H.
(porker110)

Gear List on 04/19/2011 22:31:46 MDT Print View

I hope the BPL hoody won't be too hot.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Gear List on 04/19/2011 22:37:41 MDT Print View

When you are crossing Glen Pass, you are around 12,000 feet, and it can be quite cool and breezy up there. Below there on either side, you will be in the mosquito district in the evenings, so warm clothing will help keep them from biting.

--B.G.--

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Late Mosquito season on 04/23/2011 17:41:28 MDT Print View

Frank, just to emphasize the mosquito warning above. I have been thru there several times in the last few years and they were there but tolerable. On a trip In the early 80s they were tormenting and I moved up to Fin Dome to catch a breeze to knock 'em down. As you know we have had a wet year here with some recent storms in the Sierras. Maybe you could celebrate your birthday a couple of weeks later?

Frank H.
(porker110)

late Mosquito season on 04/24/2011 23:20:25 MDT Print View

i don't think i can celebrate my birthday later, because i start school a couple of weeks later and a i love celebrating birthdays on the actual day.Not on other days.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
bday. on 04/24/2011 23:25:41 MDT Print View

At least you will have tens of thousands of small buzzing friends to celebrate your birthday with you!

Bring some DEET, a headnet, and have a great time. It's lovely up there.