Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Eleven Years Old on the PCT

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
BPL Member Support for Sunshine on 04/15/2011 10:57:17 MDT Print View

Backpacking Light is looking into a means by which our members can donate to Balls and Sunshine. Stay tuned.

- Sam

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
"Eleven Years Old on the PCT" on 04/15/2011 15:30:46 MDT Print View

What a great story! My father introduced me to hiking when I was only 4 years old and that experience and his teachings about nature, the woods, and its residents made such an impact on me and has shaped my outdoors love and philosophy.

This is such an incredible loving and wonderful gift you are giving your daughter, Balls! She will remember this for the rest of her life and she will no doubt pass it on to her own children.

Best wishes for your hike and may the trail be a good friend to you!

Brian Austin
(footeab) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: THANKS on 04/17/2011 12:43:01 MDT Print View

Thanks for the article. Been bedridden for the last several months and have been rather down lately. Thank you for showing me the hope for a better future if one is willing to look for it.

Eric Gjonnes
(EKG) - MLife

Locale: Northwest
Thank you! on 04/23/2011 17:17:31 MDT Print View

Thank you BPL for your support! Thank you readers for your kind words and encouragment! I look forward to updating you with more articles as the journey continues! Many have asked how they can donate to our adventure, so we set up a Paypal account for donations. If you go to our journal at: trailjournals.com/ballsandsunshine you will see a row of blue buttons on the left hand margin, click on "about". There is now a Paypal donate button at the bottom of that page. Thankyou, and keep an eye out for our next story from the trail!

Kevin Cody
(codycolor2) - F

Locale: Los Padres NF
Balls & Sunshine on 05/02/2011 11:17:23 MDT Print View

I briefly met you 2 while at the ADZPCTKO and hope your journey is of epic proportions with smiles all the way.

-Keen Eyes

Steve Cain
(hoosierdaddy) - F

Locale: Western Washington
Balls & Sunshine at ADZPCTKO on 05/04/2011 17:11:19 MDT Print View

I, also, ran into them at the Kickoff. Very nice, genuine folk! Here's a couple of pic of them:

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Balls & Sunshine at ADZPCTKO on 05/04/2011 17:28:52 MDT Print View

I got a huge kick out of the contrast of Sunshine running and playing at kickoff while many of us older guys moped around, often with the limp of sore feet.

Dan Lockcuff
(Lockcuff) - F
Thank You on 07/13/2011 15:46:41 MDT Print View

I think what you are doing is awesome! Were headed to Sequoia National Park in 3 weeks for some trail hiking then into some of the parks in Utah. You two are an inspiration to get some trail time in with my kids. Thank You!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
She did it! on 09/26/2011 16:18:47 MDT Print View

I heard from Eric (Balls) this morning that he and Sunshine reached the Canadian border Saturday evening! What a wonderful accomplishment for this plucky young lady!

They do have one stretch of trail left to do, from Wahtum Lake to Cascade Locks. They had left the trail at Wahtum Lake to attend PCTA Trail Days, but couldn't get back because the road was closed that afternoon due to the Dollar Lake Fire. They tentatively plan to dayhike this section on Wednesday. If all goes as planned, I will meet them at Cascade Locks (where they'll park their vehicle) and drive them to Wahtum Lake.

Edited by hikinggranny on 09/26/2011 16:33:38 MDT.

Daniel Yaris
(danielY) - F

Locale: PNW
congrats again on 09/28/2011 23:15:06 MDT Print View

It was nice meeting you two at my store tonight! And cool to meet other members from here.

Cheers
Daniel