Display Avatars Sort By:
Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Please critique my list on 04/12/2011 05:10:34 MDT Print View

Added to my profile

South San Juans, CO Late June-Early July
4 nights

NOTE: I realize the backpack wt sticks out like a sore thumb, and I'd love to get that weight down, just haven't found the right pack to replace it, still looking. I have a bulging disc in my lower back, and so far everything I've tried, except the Deuter, kills it.
I'm new to backpacking (4 easy trips so far), trying for comfortable light.
I've used everything on the list except for steripen (not rec'd yet)
I have a zpack hexanet on order to possibly replace my present net. Will eliminate the need for a ground sheet and is a little wider 32 vs 28, non slick/slide cuben (I hope)
The bottom of the list shows my hammock gear, but for longer trips where I really need to cut weight (almost a lb) I will take the Mid.

Thanks!

carl becker
(carlbecker) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: Please critique my list on 04/12/2011 06:47:52 MDT Print View

I have the MLD Solomid, so far it works well. If I need bug protection I use a TT Sublite. If your pack fits great I would not worry as much about the weight. I use a Aarn Marathon Magic 33 that is heavy at 35oz compared to UL but fits me very well and at 25lbs skin out works for me.

Eric Swab
(ericswab) - M

Locale: Rockies
Please critique my list on 04/12/2011 21:53:30 MDT Print View

The San Juans are beautiful, stars at night amazing.

For packs, my girlfriendhas two bulging discs, she tried out a Osprey Ariel 55(?) I hated that she bought it (REI) over five pounds, no external pockets!

I ordered her a Golite womens Quest pack, we have not tried it on the trail yet but around the house she said the comfort level was the same with identical loads, it weighs 41 ounces but things can be removed, nice pack overall.

I would also look at the ULA Circuit, hoop suspension and about 32 ounces I think, nice video on their site by a female. Or if what you have is comfortable just go with it.

Closer to your trip find the high altitude weather forecast from NOAA, (I have it bookmarked on another computer). I do not think you will need the down pants. Maybe look at some Colorado trail gear lists that have been on here recently.

Eric Swab
(ericswab) - M

Locale: Rockies
Please critique my list on 04/12/2011 21:59:56 MDT Print View

Skip the down booties too, just one glove liner.