Forum Index » GEAR » A new pack - I know what I want, but don't know what to get.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
A new pack - I know what I want, but don't know what to get. on 04/12/2011 19:46:15 MDT Print View

Chris,
I'm sure you meant to type HMG "WindRider".

Christopher Graf
(cgraf) - M

Locale: So Cal
"A new pack - I know what I want, but don't know what to get." on 04/12/2011 20:00:38 MDT Print View

Thanks Thom :-)
I stand corrected....HMG WindRider.

Edited by cgraf on 04/12/2011 20:01:18 MDT.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
"A new pack - I know what I want, but don't know what to get." on 04/12/2011 21:28:13 MDT Print View

Between the Gorilla, Ohm, and Prophet, the Gorilla will have the cooler back with some 3D mesh and the eggcrate CCF. I have a Gorilla and a MYOG pack made of Dyneema X and the Gorilla is a bit cooler on the back. I don't mind the Dyneema, but if one of your criteria is some back ventilation, the GG is the only one of those three that has any at all.

Mike Benson
(milktoast) - F
swift on 04/12/2011 22:16:27 MDT Print View

I just received my Swift in the mail today. Seems like a great pack, the compression system looks sweet as well.

It's funny, I was debating buying this pack for the longest time because I was worried it wouldn't be big enough. Now that I have it in front of me, I can't imagine a scenario when I'd ever need a bigger pack. The swift has a lot of capacity, for a "smaller" ultralight pack.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
relevance on 04/12/2011 23:31:07 MDT Print View

only one thing matters ... fit

if it dun fit ... it dun matter how many fuzzy bears it can hold off ... how light it is ... etc ...

try em all , keep the one you want

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Gorilla/Prophet/Burn/Jam/ on 04/30/2011 19:48:25 MDT Print View

So I got a gorilla in the mail today and aside from needing a Medium (funny as with MLD/Golite/Osprey, etc., I've always needed a large), I'm finding the thing kind of bulky with the crazy huge hipbelt and shoulder straps. Maybe I'm just not used to the padding, but this pack seems like more than is necessary for what I need.

So now I'm looking at the Prophet again, or maybe the burn. The only problem is longer 5+ day trips with a bear can. I'd like to avoid buying two packs if I can, but if I can get a Jam on here for maybe $80 or so, I might just go the Burn and Jam route. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Ohm? on 04/30/2011 20:16:50 MDT Print View

Why not the Ohm or Windrider? I have an Ohm and the compression system is amazing. You can cinch this pack down to nothing if you want and it doesn't look like it's being heavily cinched. The windrider has great compression too, although in a different way since the Windrider compresses (ie. rolls) vertically whereas the Ohm cinches thinner. I like the Ohm's compression system because it cinches the weight closer to the your back if the pack isn't full, but I've never used a windrider. The windrider is sweet because it's got more durable mesh and it's waterproof, but it's also more pricey.

James Neal
(Laien) - F

Locale: Ozarks
HMG Windrider on 04/30/2011 20:45:06 MDT Print View

If you don't mind last year's model, they are available for the same price as the OHM. Just check out the special deals on their home page.

My apologies. I didn't notice this had already been posted.

Edited by Laien on 04/30/2011 20:46:35 MDT.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Re: HMG Windrider on 04/30/2011 21:02:42 MDT Print View

The windrider is pretty heavy at 26 oz.

Really now I'm looking at frameless, under 20oz, with about 2500ci's. Hence the prophet or burn and jam for bearcans options.

Too many options out there.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
A new pack - I know what I want, but don't know what to get. on 05/01/2011 01:27:46 MDT Print View

Unless you have already eliminated it for some reason then for a frameless option I would also be looking at Zpacks Blast.

According to Joe's webiste "Most Bear Canisters will fit in the 2,600 and 3,200 ci sizes standing on end".

Might I also suggest keeping the GG Gorilla so you can try them it against a frameless option? Also The GGG can have the waist belt padding and the shoulder padding removed.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: Gorilla on 05/01/2011 05:28:25 MDT Print View

+1 to trying the Gorilla frameless. I actually think it's most comfortable that way with total loads 18 lbs or less, and without the hip belt or sternum strap.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Re: Re: Gorilla on 05/03/2011 00:02:07 MDT Print View

Thanks all,

I just ordered a burn. I carried the Gorilla around a bit more and I was really liking how it carried, and fixed the shoulder strap issue, but the only time I'll use this kind of volume is for week long trips with a bear can, and I can't afford two pricey packs. Now off to find a used Jam...