A new amalgamation of pack designs I just finished sewing
Display Avatars Sort By:
Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
A new amalgamation of pack designs I just finished sewing on 04/11/2011 20:02:23 MDT Print View

I just finished sewing a new back pack it about 50 plus liters is heavy duty ultra light with ridgerest back pad and strap pads.
The inspiration for this pack design was my favorite Lowe Alpine airzone 45 pack shape at first I tried to incorporate the air zone back but it did not work out. Golite pinnacle hip belt system,Shoulder strap attachment and roll top of Six moon design swift pack. My own simple side compression design using one beastdee D ring and shock cord hardware and a cord lock from the evil bag of 1000 cord locks I have been using since 1993.

The pack will hold a Ridgerest solar short as a virtual frame and plenty of room for all my gear,food and more.

It is made out of xpac, grey dyeemna grid x from thru hiker. Heavy duty Mesh front pocket,1.9 coated black ripstop nylon. I did some different things on this one

I used a Xpac on the double bottom, The sewn in vertical center stringer for the pack that hooks in to the top center compression strap. Shoulder pads double fabric so I could bartack.

The rest of the pack is dyeemna grid x . Except the roll top black 1.9 rip stop nylon,I cut the top 5/8" compression strap off the my Golite pinnacle pack so I could use my 5/8 inch jet series buckles that I received as a sample from nexus.I also borrowed for now the Golite pack the sternum strap for the pack.

Thanks for looking,
Terry

Front of pack:front of pack

Side of pack:side of pack

Back of pack:back of pack

Edited by socal-nomad on 04/11/2011 20:17:07 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: A new amalgamation of pack designs I just finished sewing on 04/11/2011 20:14:00 MDT Print View

What a fine way to bring the things you like together - in one clean package!

Not only is it good looking but functional.

Matt Foehrenbacher
(matt_f) - MLife
great pack on 04/12/2011 07:39:54 MDT Print View

Great looking pack - I particularly like the design of the front pocket and compression system: it looks clean and effective. I also like the concept of "heavy-duty ultralight"...I've been trying to incorporate more durable fabrics and construction into my recent gear projects and designs.

Matt

Scott Littlefield
(sclittlefield) - F

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine
Nice pack! on 04/12/2011 08:32:24 MDT Print View

Wow. Really nice looking pack! Is that just one piece wrap around for the front and sides (the gridstop, anyway)?

DIYGS 50L Front
DIYGS 50L Back

I've been working on pack design for a bit now too. This is a 50L size and made from X-Pac fabrics. (I'll do a thread on the design with patterns later)

I really like the gridstop though. Does anyone know who makes it? (I know where to buy it retail, but I'm looking for the maker of it).

Again, great looking pack - really professional job.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
A new amalgamation of pack designs I just finished sewing" on 04/12/2011 09:49:17 MDT Print View

The front and the sides are 5 different fabric shapes to look like the beautiful contoured lines of the long time traditional Lowe alpine shaped packs to form one piece for fabric when sewn to the back and bottom of the pack.
The rolled up ridgerest short pad inside the pack changes the shape of the pack,I also have a padded back out of ridgerest so the ridgerest short and the pack under my feet at night make a 5 foot 10 inch sleep pad at night.
Scott you ddi a really nice job on your pack also nice clean line and well made.

I still prefer the one piece of fabric simple shaped packs for front and sides combined for a stronger lighter weight pack design.

But I like to experiment with different pack designs.

Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 04/12/2011 15:41:56 MDT.