Snow Peak stove windscreen
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Re: Windscreen on 12/11/2011 21:45:15 MST Print View

Technique note: I also carry about 3 off 1.6 mm Ti wire stakes with the windscreen. They help to keep the foil standing upright and in the right place. A few grams, yes, but very time-saving
I've been using rocks to stabilize mine, but the Ti stakes sound like they'd be a lot better. Can't always count on handy rocks.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

Edited by hikin_jim on 12/11/2011 21:45:50 MST.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Snow Peak stove windscreen on 12/12/2011 18:45:51 MST Print View

Just in case you are a bit leery of full cover windscreens over canister stoves, please note that Snow Peak has marketed a windscreen that goes over the burner and supports, but is above the canister and nozzle. Only problem is that it is a little heavy, over 2 oz. So, a Ti pot bottom was used to make a knock-off. Here is a photo of the SP screen on the left, the Ti knock-off on the right:
Windscreens

Here are front and top view photos of the knock-off screen installed:
Windscreen Top View
Windscreen Top View

The Ti knock-off is under one oz. and has seen extensive use with no problems.
As you can see, the Titanium gets darker and discolored when exposed to the heat, but it doesn't effect the function.

Not only does the screen make it easier to use the stove in windy conditions, but it also adds to the life of the canister. I used to get 4 1/2 days from one of the Coleman canisters, and now get at least six, making the one canister safe to last for a week. A day's use for me is a dinner, boiling a liter of water, adding some to a dried food mix and simmering that for 10-15 minutes, then adding some more water and boiling another half liter for tea and washing utensils; then boiling another liter in the AM for tea and hot instant breakfast with gourmet coffee powder. Multiply that by six, and that is what I'm getting from the one canister; so only one is needed now for seven days of trekking.

The more expensive canisters don't last as long, so I don't use them. It may be that the ones with Isobutane might be better for cold weather use. Don't know - have never tested them.

The titanium was cut with a high speed Black & Decker rotor tool using a small diamond coated wheel sold by Dremel as an accessory. Holes were drilled for the center hole, and at each end of each slot. The diamond wheel was then used to cut out between holes to make each slot.

I would not use the stove with the screen in a tent, due to the probability of increased carbon monoxide; but have used it often just outside the tent floor under the tent awning in the rain with no problems to date.

Edited by scfhome on 12/12/2011 19:01:35 MST.

Jim Leonard
(mxracer33x) - F

Locale: West Coast
Re: Snow Peak stove windscreen on 12/13/2011 10:53:31 MST Print View

What pot bottom did you end up using. I have been looking at a few of the Snow peak that my Local shop has, but I dont want to cut up a $40 pot if I dont have to. My other option was just to TIG one up out of the foil I have from TiGoat.

Justin R
(5150Bronco) - F

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.
Re: Re: Snow Peak stove windscreen on 12/13/2011 22:18:10 MST Print View

Ti goat all the way. just got my material and going to make something soon.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Snow Peak stove windscreen on 12/14/2011 00:23:18 MST Print View

Jim,
Sorry, it was too long ago, and I must have discarded the remnants. Can advise that the max diameter at the lip is 4.5", while the heavier SP one is 4 19/32". The slightly smaller diameter did not make a difference in fitting the windscreen to the stove. As I remember it was not a very tall pot, so it didn't have the capacity I wanted, and was sitting around unused.

There are Ti pots from companies like Evernew that can be found heavily discounted. This one nests perfectly for storage over the bottom of an Evernew (REI) Pasta Pot that I like because it holds the larger Coleman canister, and more water than the MSR and SP similar models. Only negative is the cover that clips over the top, rather than nesting inside it. I wrote them, and they feel strongly it is part of the pasta making design. So be it.

Edited by scfhome on 12/14/2011 00:24:48 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Snow Peak stove windscreen on 12/14/2011 06:14:31 MST Print View

Denis Hazlewood made on out of a Snow Peak bowl years ago that works pretty well.

Related thread here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=45927&skip_to_post=394927#394927

Justin R
(5150Bronco) - F

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.
snow peak stove. on 12/14/2011 23:33:28 MST Print View

I would like to see some more pics of wind screen for snow peak stoves. I have be making mine soon.

Eric Dysart
(ewdysar) - F

Locale: SoCal
Using a Trek Ti bowl on 01/06/2012 17:25:52 MST Print View

Inspired by this thread, I looked through my assorted Ti cookware and decided that my SP Trek Ti bowl is the best candidate to become a UL windscreen for my SP GST-100. So I'm thinking that the bottom will look like Denis' and the height will be cut down to the top of the pot supports like the stainless SP windscreen. I'l post pics and weight when I get something operable.

Thanks for sharing all of the info here.

Eric

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Snow Peak stove winds on 01/08/2012 19:31:23 MST Print View

Eric,
Glad you are going to cut the bowl down to below the tops of the pot supports, as with SP's heavier screen. Otherwise, you might get a lot of CO. But Roger would know better than I.
Too bad SP couldn't just make a lighter screen

Mark Fowler
(KramRelwof) - MLife

Locale: Namadgi
Conical fustrum on 01/09/2012 01:38:00 MST Print View

I am sure many people have used this inverted conical fustrum shape before, but this design seems to be a very light weight way to achieve wind protection. The photos are of my prototype made of aluminium flashing which weighs in at 18 grams. I plan to build it in Ti foil once I have used it for a few more nights to check on the size of openings required to provide air to the burner. I also need to tidy up the closure mechanism.

The small diameter opening fits around the lip of the gas cylinder and seems to make it relatively rigid. The large diameter is sized to provide a 1cm gap at the base of my MSR pot. It stores flat against the pad in the back of my pack.
Fitted to a Gnat stove with a 230g canisterWith MSR 850ml pot

Ivo Vanmontfort
(Ivo) - MLife
snow peak stove windscreen on 04/07/2012 02:35:56 MDT Print View

I give you another idea to hang up the windscreen.
I used 2.5 mm2 copper wire.
If you're wondering why these unnecessary holes are drilled at the bottom:
This windshield is also used for my esbit stove.

Van windscherm voor staande gasbrander

Edited by Ivo on 04/07/2012 03:11:30 MDT.

Ivo Vanmontfort
(Ivo) - MLife
snow peak stove screen on 04/07/2012 02:35:56 MDT Print View

double post

Edited by Ivo on 04/07/2012 02:47:02 MDT.

Anthony Britner
(ant89) - F - M

Locale: North Wales, UK
Thought I'd seen one before on 09/14/2012 14:49:54 MDT Print View

here is my knock up of a conical windscreen/heat reflector

side view

top view

Decided to make this after a rather worrying situation where the wind, was causing the flame to whip UNDER the burner and down to the canister!