Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lower layers for San Juans trip
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stuart Burke
(burkest) - F

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness
Lower layers for San Juans trip on 04/11/2011 16:00:24 MDT Print View

I am doing a 160 mile trip in the san juans in late july this year and I am not sure what I what to do for pant/shorts. In the past I have used running shorts and montbell stretch wind pants for hiking in colorado. I have been mostly happy with this set up but I questioning using this set up in the san juans because most of my route is above tree line. I am concerned that if I am hiking in rain and wind at 12,000 feet I will get cold wearing the montbell wind pants. I like the pants, but in hard rain they wet out and cling to my legs and they get cold. Two alternatives I am considering are listed below

Running shorts, cloud kilt, and MYOG 2 oz wind pants

Running shorts and patagonia simple guide pants

I am wondering how the kilt would do in the wind. I am also wondering if the simple guide pants will not cling to my legs when they get wet. I do not mind if my legs get wet in the rain, but I would like them to stay warm. I am also wondering if the simple guide pants are too warm for temps in the 60s and 70s. Any other comments on either idea would be welcome.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
To Warm IMO on 04/11/2011 16:09:51 MDT Print View

I use them most of the time in the winter. I would never touch them now.

In the summer, I might go with some sort of running pant setup. Depends on what kind of mileage you are doing.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Lower layers for San Juans trip on 04/11/2011 16:58:50 MDT Print View

For me it would be:
1. Long hiking pants
2. Waterproof rain pants
3. Windpants (putting on over hiking pants)

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Lower layers for San Juans trip" on 04/11/2011 18:30:28 MDT Print View

For me:

Lightweight hiking pants
Lightest weight bottom base layer (similar to Cap 1)
Rain pants

That base layer can make all the difference when it turns cold and freezes or snows!

Edited by hikinggranny on 04/11/2011 18:31:17 MDT.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
softshell pants on 04/11/2011 20:36:49 MDT Print View

I love softshells over running shorts (as underwear) for shorter 1-4 day trips when weather forecasts are relatively reliable, but I wouldn't count on them for a 160-mile trek. If you get hit with a long-duration rain, you'd be miserable without rain pants.

regular shorts
long johns
rain pants

Go kiwi style (long johns under shorts) when you need warmth and breathability.

Edited by lindahlb on 04/11/2011 20:55:35 MDT.

Russ Porter
(Russp17)

Locale: Anchorage
pants on 04/11/2011 23:14:00 MDT Print View

My long trips I go withlong underwear, soft shell pants, and rainpants here in Alaska.
When I lived in Wyoming for trips in the bighorns and winds (similar to the san Jauns I would go with underwear, shorts and rainpants.