Forum Index » GEAR » Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 09:43:08 MDT Print View

I don't normally shop gear by country, but thought it could be fun and enlightening if we can put together a 3-season UL gear list comprised only of gear pieces made here at home. I think shelter, packs and bags (esp. quilts) are no brainers, thanks to the healthy ecosystem of boutique gear makers. Clothing and shoes may be more challenging?

1. Shelter - large selection of tarptents and tarps
2. Pack - large selection - from heavy duty McHales to uber light frameless
3. Bag - quilts, yes, but what about sleeping bags?
4. Pad - foam pads, yes, but not sure about self inflating or air pads
5. Kitchen - wonder if the ti pots/mugs and utensils are USA made?
6. clothing - base layer, insulation layer, shell, socks???
7. Boots - ??
8. Hydration system - Platypus are made in USA, I think? Filters?
9. Etc., etc.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 10:12:40 MDT Print View

>> 3. Bag - quilts, yes, but what about sleeping bags?

I believe both Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends bags are made in the US.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 11:03:47 MDT Print View

wait a second - I thought you were opposed to buying American : )

or maybe that's a chaff question

Dustin Snyder
(DustinTSnyder)

Locale: Southeast
Re: Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 11:42:45 MDT Print View

> Pad - foam pads, yes, but not sure about self inflating or air pads
I know that thermarest pads are made in the USA.
Dustin

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 11:42:53 MDT Print View

Thermarest is USA-made. Just another reason to go for the NeoAir!

Edit: Dustin beat me by eight seconds.

To add: Ibex makes their stuff in the USA I believe for wool base layers.

Edited by StephanCal on 04/11/2011 11:44:36 MDT.

Kiyoshi Young
(kiloloop)
Re: Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 11:50:34 MDT Print View

I definitely think the hardest to source will be the kitchen if your looking for ti, another hard one will be footwear thats not minimal like mocs or heavyduty like redwings. For clothing I'd like to suggest Melanzana out of Leadville, CO great stuff.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Boots/shoes on 04/11/2011 11:54:06 MDT Print View

Danner Mountain Lights are still US made. I love mine, but rarely hike in them anymore--60 ounces for the pair! Some NB shoes are still US made, I think--not sure if any of the trail runners are.

Ryan Elsey
(paintballswimguy) - F

Locale: Kansas City
packs on 04/11/2011 11:59:11 MDT Print View

Packs are probably pretty easy, unless you want to go down to where the materials were made as well.
ULA
Mountain Laurel Designs
Zpacks
McHale?

Neoair, and Neoair trekker are american made as well

Platapus Platty bottle is usa made

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 12:07:30 MDT Print View

Hey Benjamin Kooka Bay airmats & pillows are made in the US. The materials are almost all made in the US as well. The nylon and Climashield insulation is made here. The goose down is Canadian but I'm sure you could convince a few geese to migrate south.

Keith Craigs
(KeithCraigs) - F
boots / shoes / stove on 04/11/2011 12:21:29 MDT Print View

for a stove I'd go with a homemade alcohol burner / walmart mirro grease pot

boots/trail runners : wiggys or new balance

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Creating an ALL NON-USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 12:50:08 MDT Print View

I wouldn't think this would be terribly hard, but I like the concept.

I'd love to see our overseas friends come up with a list that's either ALL German/French/Scottish/etc. made, or EU made. I'd think we might find out about a lot of gear that we rarely, if ever, hear about. Would be educational and fun!

Barry Starrfield
(barryannarbor)

Locale: New England
MSR Stoves on 04/11/2011 13:01:26 MDT Print View

Most of MSR's stoves are made in the US, along with their water filters.

- BTW, I wish BPL would list the country of origin for every item they review.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
USA Kitchen on 04/11/2011 13:12:52 MDT Print View

Open Country Aluminum pots (and I think the AGG anodized pots) are made in the USA.

And of course, the Backcountry Boiler is made in the USA.

Lots of USA cottage gear alchohol stoves (too numerous to list) and wood stoves around.

Also go to REI.com and towards the bottom there is a "gear made in USA" button that lists various USA made gear.

Edited by dag4643 on 04/11/2011 13:22:24 MDT.

Dan Briggs
(dbriggs9) - F

Locale: Southeast
Love the idea on 04/11/2011 13:16:49 MDT Print View

I've been trying to make that switch gradually myself. Just wish I had thought about it before I got into backpacking! Not only buying American, but buying from the little guys like Kookabay, Zpacks, Gossamer Gear, Tarptent, etc.

Living in Florida I surf a lot. In the surfing community it seems most people buy boards from local shapers and the mass-produced Asian-made boards are looked down upon. Great to see. There are a few large companies that control a lot of the market, like Channel Islands, but their factory is in California- so all is well.

Now if I could only get my poor, college student-self to stop shopping at Walmart...

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - M
Base layer on 04/11/2011 13:27:47 MDT Print View

Wickers has base layers all made in USA.
wickers.com

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 13:34:18 MDT Print View

If it's of help, the MEC Web site lists country of origin of their extensive inventory. I though y'all might like to outsource the task. ;-)

Cheers,

Rick

Robert Devereux
(robdev) - F

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 13:35:11 MDT Print View

Base Layers: Rambler's Way. They take the "made in the US" thing a few steps further than most, even getting wool from US sheep. Ibex makes some stuff in the US, and Outlier.cc also has some US made wool shirts.

Socks: Darn Tough

Insulation: Wool - Ibex or Outlier. Synthetic - BeyondClothing

Shells: Beyond Clothing, Outlier makes some good but expensive softshells.

Shoes: A simple search didn't find me any trail runners that are made in the US. New Balance makes some stuff here, but the Minimus is definitely made overseas.
If you want to go with leather boots or shoes, there are plenty of options. Probably the most similar to trail runners would be one of the minimalist shoes from Russell Moccasins.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
more to add on 04/11/2011 14:26:26 MDT Print View

Gossamer Gear is also American

For midlayers and alpine oriented clothes, NWAlpine is american made (amazing service and product by the way)

Wearbap.com also has some clothing offerings that are american made

For stoves: minibulldesigns.com, www.woodgaz-stove.com, backcountryboiler.com,traildesigns.com

Edited by Konrad1013 on 04/11/2011 14:27:15 MDT.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Stoves, electronics & clothing rant on 04/11/2011 16:34:58 MDT Print View

The Caldera Cone stoves are all U.S. made and, IMHO, the most efficient alky/ESBIT burner setups around, not to mention their Inferno woodburner option.

What gets tricky is the "electronics gear". Is there ANY topo GPS made in the U.S.?
Likely no cameras are, even Kodaks.

And then there are clothes. Nice synthetic clothes are all made offshore except a few sox companies products like Thorlo. But I wouldn't mind buying a Canadian Tilley hat... when I hit the lottery.

What we need to see is PAN American products made in this hemisphere to strengthen our North and South American economies. Colombia (the country, not the clothing manufacturer) now makes a lot of clothing but most of it is designer stuff. They COULD make outdoor clothing if the U.S. companies like REI would channel their contracts that way.

BTW, when I think of it I do have a fair amount of USA-made backpacking products like:
WM Megalite bag, TT Moment tent, Thermarest (3 self-inflators), Caldera Cone Sidewinder/Inferno, 2 MSR stoves, 2 Camelbak bladders, Dana Terraplane pack.

But I also have a decent amount of items from "Yurp". Swedish Primus & Svea stoves, Norwegian & Austrian backcountry skis, German walking poles, Swedish compass, Austrian Dachstein wool mittens, etc.

Edited by Danepacker on 04/11/2011 16:43:45 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Creating an ALL USA MADE UL Gear List on 04/11/2011 17:20:53 MDT Print View

My main bits are made in the USA .
So Tarptents, Thermarests,ULAs, Western Mountaineering (I have multiple of those...), Caldera Cones (pot made in China) now the Backcountry Boiler.
However I love my BD (made in Taiwan ) poles , the Ice Breaker thermals (NZ/China) and my shoes are made in several countries, none in the US that I can think of
(OK, the Neos are made over there...)
Oh, MSR snowshoes (of course)
Franco
yesterday I was given a Buck knife (boy it is tiny and sharp), made in the USA, but still like the small Opinel (it's French you know)

Edited by Franco on 04/11/2011 17:24:31 MDT.