Forum Index » Chaff » Basebal

Display Avatars Sort By:
Evan Parker
(ecp12) - F

Locale: Upstate NY
Baseball on 04/08/2011 21:08:23 MDT Print View

Okay, so I searched for a baseball thread, and only 3 different people posted in it saying that they enjoyed baseball. Is that true guys and gals? No one else enjoys baseball? I was raised Red Sox, but my girlfriend is from San Fran so I adopted them a couple years ago, and I've come to love them as well. Obviously, we all love hiking, but I'm sure there has to be more love for America's favorite pastime!

Edited by ecp12 on 04/08/2011 21:09:26 MDT.

Evan Parker
(ecp12) - F

Ugh on 04/08/2011 21:10:41 MDT Print View

I realized after I posted it that I can't spell "baseball," soooo now people will think very much less of me and my mental capabilities.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
baseball on 04/08/2011 21:37:15 MDT Print View

I have grown up and live in East Tennessee... I am obviously a Braves fan =)

New season
New GM
New hope

This last series with the Brewers WAS a bit embarrassing, though =/

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
Re on 04/09/2011 09:02:15 MDT Print View

Former Mets fan here in recovery. I felt like an abused wife so I left the team. Phillies!!

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: baseball on 04/09/2011 09:18:01 MDT Print View

Braves as well... Awesome game last night for the home opener!

Evan Parker
(ecp12) - F

Re: Baseball on 04/09/2011 09:48:23 MDT Print View

Yeah, no more Bobby Cox for the Braves, which is kinda weird. But Jason Heyward is looking mighty promising and I'm sure will be a star for quite a while. Brian McCann is really understated, but really good in my opinion, 3rd best catcher in the game.

And trading the Mets for the Phils is probably the best move you'll ever make. I mean, with that rotation of Hallady, Hamels, Oswalt, and Lee? Ugh, that's just domination right there.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Sorry on 04/09/2011 09:53:11 MDT Print View

Sorry, but watching baseball is only slightly less boring than watching golf.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Baseball on 04/09/2011 10:58:34 MDT Print View

There is no such thing as San Fran......

My team, THE 2010 World Series Champs...YOUR San Francisco Giants. Avid fan since 1969. Baseball and backpacking is difficult for me during the summer as I go to a lot of games and I watch just about every other game on tv for my Giants.

I did start a baseball thread a few months ago, I guess it got burried.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Sorry on 04/09/2011 11:00:45 MDT Print View

No need for the Sorry Stephen...some folks like baseball and some do not. I love baseball. I can watch a 9 inning game with a 1-0 score that is a pithcers duel and have a great time. The game is like chess, and unless you know what everyone is doing, from the manager to the players it could be boring for someone.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Baseball on 04/09/2011 11:03:25 MDT Print View

Agree about The Phillies and their pitching staff. However, their bullpen is average at best and the closer situation is going to be a problem for them. I like my staff and our bullpen more than The Phillies. Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Jonathon Sanchez, Barry Zito (yeah I know....), and Madison Bumgarner (who is 22 in a few months). No one thought The Giants could win it last year and surely no one gives that pitching staff much props....I like being the underdong...bring it on!

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Re: Re: Baseball on 04/09/2011 11:23:39 MDT Print View

Yeah, it is nice to see Bobby cheering in the stands, though. Definitely a means of respect from me. And also agreed, McCann is definitely one of the better catchers in the league and VERY understated.

And even though Chipper's a bit of a jerk to his fans and looks pretty rough these days, I still wanted to take his spot at third base when I played little-league and you can't argue with 2500+ major league hits!

Clint

John West
(skyzo) - F

Locale: Borah Gear
baseball on 04/10/2011 10:44:31 MDT Print View

Grew up in Pittsburgh, so im a huge Pirates fan. Unfortunately for the past like 20 years haven't had much to get excited about. The Steelers on the other hand....

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: baseball on 04/10/2011 10:52:51 MDT Print View

reversal of fortunes for me. Giants are doing well and my Niners are awful. I can understand the pain John. The Steelers have been impressive over the last 10 years or so

John West
(skyzo) - F

baseball on 04/10/2011 10:57:01 MDT Print View

Yeah it has been a lot of fun having the Steelers be successful for these past 10 years or so.

Don't give up on your 49ers just yet, I think they are one of the teams that are about to have a breakout season. They choked last year when they had a chance at the playoffs, but now they have that new coach and some promising players.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Baseball on 04/10/2011 11:07:25 MDT Print View

I'm on and off. The season is just too long for me to stay involved. And when you're a Rangers/Astros fan, you don't really have the history of success to keep you going! I probably spend more time following our local AAA team.

John West
(skyzo) - F

Baseball on 04/10/2011 11:28:47 MDT Print View

Astros, yeah not looking too good, but hey, the Rangers have been decent the last few years, obviously pretty good if they can make it to the series. This year I think they started off 6-0

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Fond baseball memories on 04/10/2011 13:35:37 MDT Print View

I spent a summer hiking the PCT and had with me a small transistor radio. I'd use it mostly for weather updates but on occasion, in my tent at night, would tune into a game. Well, the weird thing was that of all the signals I received (obviously, San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, Sand Diego, and Seattle), I was able to tune into a Padres game for almost the entire state of California....It wasn't until I was in the furthest reaches of California when I lost that signal....And truthfully, the Padres weren't very good.

That much said I grew up just outside of San Francisco and last year, a lifetime of Giants fandom paid off...And admittedly, I never saw it coming. I thought they had good pitching, a mediocre at best offense and through 2/3rds of the season I seemed correct...then they caught fire...and then the playoffs...then the World Series.

I honestly think that baseball reflect the temperament of long distance hiking rather well. It's a long haul, and every team goes through its ups and downs...just like a hike goes through on a long hike. (Thankfully, a long hiker seems to have fewer downs than the typical Giants season of my youth).

Dirk

Edited by dirk9827 on 04/10/2011 16:29:55 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Fond baseball memories on 04/10/2011 18:06:59 MDT Print View

Don, 2010 was magic. A World Series Title was just amazing!!

Evan Parker
(ecp12) - F

The Beard on 04/10/2011 20:44:34 MDT Print View

And words can't even describe Brian Wilson, he's the man. And the way the giants have utilized their youth (buster posey, is incredible, along with bumgarner) is really special. Their team really just came together, and it looks like they're firing on all cylinders from the get-go this year, which is refreshing to see. Sandoval looks to be refreshed and hopefully will play much better than last year. I got to see 2 Giants game last year, one against the Red Sox and the other versus the Dodgers, and he hit into probably 4 double plays for the two games. The Giants have something special, and don't even get me started on that ballpark, it's gorgeous.